Because Sound Matters (on-line DVD-A record store from Warner)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regarding Canadian purchases, I received the following note back today:

"Unfortunately, we cannot accept International orders for these products due
to licensing rights."

It will be interesting to see if you get any different reply Timbre4, but it doesn't look good right now. It's too bad since this will reduce their market considerably.

PS
They have added a few additional DVD-Audios today, 4 by R.E.M and Mark Knopfler's Shangri-La.

Why can other companies sell internationally, and not WB? Very strange.

Why can other companies sell internationally, and not WB? Very strange.

yes the usual reason is to support their overseas divisions and not to take profit away from them by selling directly into their markets...and after all a local sale means perhaps a local chart entry, which wouldn't happen with an export sale from overseas.... or for contractual reasons when an artist is on a different label in another market...e.g. EMI Australia wouldn't import any Pink Floyd UK EMI product of Wish you were here or The Wall, because Sony has the rights in Australia, and Sony Australia wouldn't import anything that was EMI (Catch 22 ? ).. ...but Rhino will ship anywhere , so it's a bit of a mess up with Warners.

Of course third party wholesalers and shops will sell anywhere.

Last edited:
Most of these artists are also on WBR here in Canada (the exception being Knopfler, he's on Universal).
All of these titles (except Knopfler) are available here so "different label" issues can't be blamed.

Last edited:
...but Rhino will ship anywhere , so it's a bit of a mess up with Warners.

I have purchased 'Rhino Handmade' (i.e. exclusive) products a few times without a problem, but they will not sell their regular products to Canada. We can only hope that BSM will sell exclusive DVD-Audios, once they have them, internationally as well. I wonder if they sell their vinyll records internationally.

What's up with the "Around the Sun" REM release? It shows $31.98 and looks to be a 3 disc deep box, then when you click on it to order, it reverts back to a $24.98 title!

http://www.becausesoundmatters.com/node/72

based on the picture, i think they've confused the dvd-a/cd combo with the "special edition" version cd which includes special artwork in an oversized box, but iirc does not include the dvd-a.

...It's ONLY a start but miles ahead of where we were a month ago. They woke up to the fact that the site requires news, moderation and more titles to flourish. The existing DVD-A titles have only been up for 2 days; the last thing I want to see is posters swatting them down already...

tim, thanks for offering those insights and for plugging away with them on this endeavor. here's hoping it continues to come together and flourish.(y)

UPDATE: Even more DVD-A titles added today; by my count they're up to 23 titles at BSM now!

The rest of the R.E.M. DVD-As by Elliot Scheiner, more Barenaked Ladies DVD-A titles (including the new one on their own label), even a few some classical (Bach Symphonies) at $16.97 & pop/rock $18.98 titles (DVD-A w/o CD in pkg)

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. If you click here you get all the artists at BSM:
http://www.becausesoundmatters.com/artist_list?apage=*

BSM is competitive with Amazon with Jackson Brown's Running on Empty (CD & DVD Audio). Both sites have it for $24.98, although you get free shipping on orders over $25 at Amazon. But I'd rather pay the shipping to show that we put our money where our mouth is.

BSM:
http://www.becausesoundmatters.com/node/59

Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Running-Empty-CD-DVD-Audio/dp/B000803PKY

Posted today: BSM Adds More DVD-Audio Titles

Submitted by DVDAWins on Fri, 08/17/2007 - 12:57pm.
Yep; same for me. The other Mark Knopfler DVD-A and several other titles I didn't have.

I'm gratified In just 5 days time, we have seen BSM adding DVD-Audio titles to where it's now 38% of BSM's on-line catalog. Nice trend!

Posted today: BSM Adds More DVD-Audio Titles

Submitted by DVDAWins on Fri, 08/17/2007 - 12:57pm.
Yep; same for me. The other Mark Knopfler DVD-A and several other titles I didn't have.

I'm gratified In just 5 days time, we have seen BSM adding DVD-Audio titles to where it's now 38% of BSM's on-line catalog. Nice trend!

Oh sure, rub it in to the Canucks and the Aussies. :mad:

:mad:@:

I hope that's tongue in cheek as that would never be my intention. Every comment on Int'l shipping has been shared with BSM via email so that they take ownership of the issue and deal with it.

In the meantime, let me know which titles you need and I'll purchase and re-ship to you.

Last edited:
:mad:@:

I hope that's tongue in cheek as that would never be my intention. Every comment on Int'l shipping has been shared with BSM via email so that they take ownership of the issue and deal with it.

In the meantime, let me know which titles you need and I'll purchase and re-ship to you.

Of course it was tongue in cheek. ;) You have done more for our cause than anyone. As for your kind offer, I might just take you up on it.

One thing to remember with the pricing. They almost HAVE to sell for list price, as they probably cannot undercut any authorized resellers who still carry this stuff. They are cheaper than places like 5point1, who sell DVD-A's at "eBay" pricing.

The only thing that may be bad is that most of "us" already have these titles, so the sales may not show a huge spike. Let's see what happens. I'm going to post over in the Acura forum (again) pointing out these titles are available.

They need to get through to the Acura, Infinity, Cadillac, etc. car owners who think there is nothing to buy for their cars. If you know of anyone with DVD-A in the cars, let them know as well.

I've posted about BSM in several places AV Revolution, Surroundablog. Also PM'd some BSM members who may not be checking back since they posted in June. Bummer, can only contact 3 members per hour....

Trying to do my part for BSM, I picked up R.E.M.'s Around The Sun, the only one I was missing.

I will say that the $6.49 shipping for a CD/DVD-A pack seemed a bit steep...

Trying to do my part for BSM, I picked up R.E.M.'s Around The Sun, the only one I was missing.

I will say that the $6.49 shipping for a CD/DVD-A pack seemed a bit steep...

I hear you, was thinking the same thing. But if that measly $1.50 premium helps convince these blokes there is an active purchasing DVD-A fan base it's going to be worth it.

Just consider it your "no shit, you're still making these?" surcharge.

Back