Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just getting around to the new Eno. WOW! This is Atmos done right! A ever present dome of sound around you. Back heavy, but not overly so.

I need to give it a few more spins, but I think I might order the SDE while I still can!
Makes me want an Atmos version of Thursday Afternoon.

Just getting around to the new Eno. WOW! This is Atmos done right! A ever present dome of sound around you. Back heavy, but not overly so.
It's definitely a different approach to the format than we're used to seeing. The side speakers are the focal point of the mix, containing all the dry vocals, while the soundscapes wrap around and above. All those vocals will go the rears in a 5.1 setup, which I imagine many people won't be thrilled about.

It's definitely a different approach to the format than we're used to seeing. The side speakers are the focal point of the mix, containing all the dry vocals, while the soundscapes wrap around and above. All those vocals will go the rears in a 5.1 setup, which I imagine many people won't be thrilled about.
I’ve ordered the Eno but only have 5.1, but I don’t regret it, I’m still interested in hearing the mix and the music.

Dire Straits - Money For Nothing
Don't expect too much... especially if you've heard the Brothers In Arms SACD/DVD-A.
Edit: https://tidal.com/album/252766599
I had a listen to this one. It's better than feared. I've always dreamt of the whole Love Over Gold album in surround. You only get Private Investigations from that album. I found myself enjoying that track and thought for a few moments I could have lived with the rest of the album done this way. Unfortunately I switched directly to the newly released Greatest Hits by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, mixed by Ryan Ulyate of course, and it sound so much better. The comparison is pretty fair as the songs are from well recorded albums in the same time period.

It sounds like the mixes are done by someone who knows how to mix, but haven't had enough time to polish the details. That's a shame. Well, well I always found this compilation a litte odd anyway concerning the tracks chosen. Let's hope we can have some attempts at the complete albums with enough TLC that they will live up to the standards of Chuck Ainley's 5.1 mix of Brothers In Arms and Ulyate's way of mixing Atmos.

Gosh! When did this pop up? I thought these mixes were coming with the deluxe version! I’m assuming these are the Trevor Horn atmos mixes?

Also. I think Mr Horn has been doing more than just mixing with these tracks. I swear there is some new instrumentation here, or maybe the atmos mix is just opening it all up.

Also. How did you get to it? The main Apple Music page for Seal doesn’t list it!!!!

Last edited:
Gosh! When did this pop up? I thought these mixes were coming with the deluxe version! I’m assuming these are the Trevor Horn atmos mixes?

Also. I think Mr Horn has been doing more than just mixing with these tracks. I swear there is some new instrumentation here, or maybe the atmos mix is just opening it all up.

Also. How did you get to it? The main Apple Music page for Seal doesn’t list it!!!!
You have to access the deluxe edition of the album and then scroll down to see “other versions”. It’s one of my pet peeves with Apple Music.

Madison Cunningham - Revealer (mixed by Phil Levine)
A singer-songwriter, somewhat unusually recommended by a XTC Facebook fan group, because she was supposed to be channeling Andy Partridge. Maaaybe, but I'm hearing more like Suzanne Vega or Sheryl Crow here. Anyway, that's not the deciding factor, as I'm definitely enjoying the whole package.

The first few songs are all strong, and the Atmos mix is subtle but suitably good. What I appreciate most is the pleasantly timeless patina that also lends the material an enticingly mysterious veil. However, this is stripped away starting with the song Who Are You Now – the mix does brighten up, it rocks a bit more, but the acoustic uniqueness somewhat vanishes by now.

Not that this is an exceptional title in Atmos streaming catalog, but I will definitely return mainly to the "Side A" a few more times.
https://tidal.com/album/247378304
Listened last night, thought it was fantastic. She also reminded me of Shawn Colvin a little bit.

I had a listen to this one. It's better than feared. I've always dreamt of the whole Love Over Gold album in surround. You only get Private Investigations from that album. I found myself enjoying that track and thought for a few moments I could have lived with the rest of the album done this way. Unfortunately I switched directly to the newly released Greatest Hits by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, mixed by Ryan Ulyate of course, and it sound so much better. The comparison is pretty fair as the songs are from well recorded albums in the same time period.

It sounds like the mixes are done by someone who knows how to mix, but haven't had enough time to polish the details. That's a shame. Well, well I always found this compilation a litte odd anyway concerning the tracks chosen. Let's hope we can have some attempts at the complete albums with enough TLC that they will live up to the standards of Chuck Ainley's 5.1 mix of Brothers In Arms and Ulyate's way of mixing Atmos.

I had the same experience last night. I'm a bigger Dire Straits fan so I put that on first. Like you said, a little bit better than expected, a few really nice moments, but nothing stellar. Then I moved on to the Tom Petty. Wow! Some really fantastic mixes. "Don't come around here no more" was a major standout.

Back to the Dire Straits, I was pleasantly surprised with the live version of "Telegraph Road." The piano is positioned in stereo and the rears for a nice effect. Sadly the album is missing several great tunes that I would think should be on any Dire Straits best of compilation like "Wild West End", "Skateaway", "Industrial Disease".... And it's annoying that the last two tracks are the edited single versions. Hopefully Ainley will be given the green light to do the full albums and make this one obsolete.

Help request! For recent Apple Music references, the embedded links into Apple Music no longer work for me. In the past the “view in Apple Music” link worked as expected. Not any more.

Configuration: iPad, iOS 15.6.1, U.S. Based. Any thoughts?

Seconded.
iPad not working but iPhone works for some reason
I have the same. Works on IPhone but not IPad in ‘Safari’ - the default. I got around it by opening the forum in another browser. In my case ‘Firefox’. It asks for permission to open the link. Bit frustrating!!

Tested the following browsers on IPad : ‘Edge’ - links through without approval ;‘Opera’ - links through ; ‘Brave’ - asks permission once. The must be a setting in Safari that will enable the link, but I haven’t found it yet.

Last edited:
Lucky for me, even though I said I was going to cancel my Apple subscription...due to my frustration with finding quality Atmos titles...and also never being home...

• I didn't find the time to cancel, due to my hectic work life
  • You all rave on recently about Tom Petty Greatest Hits
  • I'm home, load it into my library, and....
Holy shit, you are all right, this is just super incredible. Right up there with the very best Atmos mixes I've ever heard. Yet, I'm torn a bit now. Why?

• Listening to this greatest hits package in Atmos makes me realize what an incredible talent Tom was. In fact, I'll go as far as to say, he's one of the greatest talents we've ever seen. I almost don't know how to catagorize his music. It's just...well....fucking great.
  • I find myself sad, that he's passed. What a god damn shame. :cry:

Anyway, what a super release, if only it were on BDA, but we all beat that horse don't we? I can't wait for another 40 minutes...my wife is leaving the house and I'm gonna play Petty again, only much, much louder. Rock on Tom Petty, what a treat you are, your music is incredible.

Back