Welcome Thread: New Members please introduce yourself here

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all—

Just learned of this site. So great! I’ve got about 50 multichannel dvd/sacd/blu and hunting for more.

Does anyone know if ”Who’s Next” is going to be reissued in multichannel? Any details?
Thanks!
Welcome aboard Wildgift - Awesome on your collection and keep on hunting - there a a lot of great surround releases out there......and yeah a few underwhelming stinkers too, but here you will be able to get the opinions on pretty much every release in surround ever. :SB Just go to the Surround polls for a complete listing and lose yourself for a few hours :love:

Also the word is YES on WHO'S NEXT - see all the info here Steven Wilson - Pete Townshend announces WHO"S NEXT/LIFEHOUSE Box set coming in 2023 (STEVEN WILSON DOLBY ATMOS MIX CONFIRMED!!)

Great to have ya here :LB:LB:LB

This thread replaces the old "New Members Only!! (Members who have never posted)" thread, which got to be a little on the LARGE side!

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...bers-only-members-who-have-never-posted.2843/
Thanks for having me.
I have a vintage Sansui QRX5500 Quadraphonic tuner amp that Ive owned since 1973. Its awesome.
Im running a Pioneer PL51 direct drive turntable from the same era, with an Audio Technica AT20SLA cart and ATN20SLa Shibata stylus. 2 x Sansui SP1700 rears and 2 x Kenwood KL7080 fronts.
Sadly, it sounds like crap. Which is why Im here, to enquire about replacement stylus options Cheers

Hi everybody. I'm in collecting music since the 1980's - I switched from MCs to the first CDs (first was Frankie Goes To Hollywood).
After buying a new receiver a couple of years ago I added my first record player. Now I have more then 150 LPS and more then 1500 CDs.
But also I started in collecting surround sound mixes from my favorite bands (Pink Floyd, Yes, Marillion, Steven Wilson)...
...my favorite music is prog rock and metal and jazz.
...but I still have some normal stuff and I'm always open for new inspirations.
...and I still love to here music live.

Last orders was Pink Floyds Animals Limited Deluxe Edition, Marillions Holidays in Eden Deluxe Edition, and a couple of colored vinyls from the Dream Theater Lost Not Forgotten Archive official bootleg series.

I'm here to find new music and get all the facts und features behind the new and the old stuff!

Nice to meet you all.

@allmind, welcome to the forum. You’re fortunate with your love of prog rock to be living in the era of the Steven Wilson surround mix. I haven’t checked OOP item prices in a long time but you may want to at least take a look at Wilson remix releases of Tull, XTC, Gentle Giant, etc.

My only question for you is, what’s “normal stuff” LOL?!!! 😉

@allmind, welcome to the forum. You’re fortunate with your love of prog rock to be living in the era of the Steven Wilson surround mix. I haven’t checked OOP item prices in a long time but you may want to at least take a look at Wilson remix releases of Tull, XTC, Gentle Giant, etc.

My only question for you is, what’s “normal stuff” LOL?!!! 😉
@esimms86 thank you.
Good question! :D
"normal stuff" is a fluently definition that depends on the eye of the beholder.
I own a couple of german stuff, but also soul jazz rock pop fusion new and old classic. I ometimes find it difficult to assign music to specific categories or styles. Or to accept the public labels.
You can find some ELP, Yes, Mike Oldfield, Beardfish, Dream Theater & all solos, King Crimson, between Sade, Simply Red, Jason Mraz, between Miles Davis, Jan Garbarek, John Coltrane, Brad Mehldau, Nik Bärtsch's Ronin, Keith Jarrett. beneath David Bowie, Kate Bush, Edie Brickell, Prince, Counting Crows standing next to Sepultura, Peter Gabriel, Fish, Marillion, Pink Floyd & all solos continued with Vangelis, Counting Crows, Lenny Kravitz, Igor Levit, Queen, Sinéad O'Connor, Alan Parsons, Styx, Tears For Fears, Talk Talk, Supertramp, Transatlantic, Neal Morse, Talk Talk, George Winston, Lizz Wright...
...or in short: From Abba to Zappa. :sneaky:
This is my definition of "normal stuff" 🤓😋🙃
All the best,
allmind aka Alex

Hi. I got into Dolby surround in the early 80's using an SQ decoder circuit built from a plan in Electronics Australia. Rudimentary, without rear-channel delay, but fun. I went on to a Sanyo decoder, an SD-100 from Raidek and watched as surround went from hobbyist to Atmos. As far as quad audio goes, I'm a novice, so looking forward to learning much. Mike.

@esimms86 thank you.
Good question! :D
"normal stuff" is a fluently definition that depends on the eye of the beholder.
I own a couple of german stuff, but also soul jazz rock pop fusion new and old classic. I ometimes find it difficult to assign music to specific categories or styles. Or to accept the public labels.
You can find some ELP, Yes, Mike Oldfield, Beardfish, Dream Theater & all solos, King Crimson, between Sade, Simply Red, Jason Mraz, between Miles Davis, Jan Garbarek, John Coltrane, Brad Mehldau, Nik Bärtsch's Ronin, Keith Jarrett. beneath David Bowie, Kate Bush, Edie Brickell, Prince, Counting Crows standing next to Sepultura, Peter Gabriel, Fish, Marillion, Pink Floyd & all solos continued with Vangelis, Counting Crows, Lenny Kravitz, Igor Levit, Queen, Sinéad O'Connor, Alan Parsons, Styx, Tears For Fears, Talk Talk, Supertramp, Transatlantic, Neal Morse, Talk Talk, George Winston, Lizz Wright...
...or in short: From Abba to Zappa. :sneaky:
This is my definition of "normal stuff" 🤓😋🙃
All the best,
allmind aka Alex
Wow, that was thorough! If you don’t already have the Japanese SACD of “Bitches Brew” then I strongly suggest that you drop everything and place an order with CDJapan(…he says, assuming that Alex has an SACD player 🤔).

Hi everybody. I'm in collecting music since the 1980's - I switched from MCs to the first CDs (first was Frankie Goes To Hollywood).
After buying a new receiver a couple of years ago I added my first record player. Now I have more then 150 LPS and more then 1500 CDs.
But also I started in collecting surround sound mixes from my favorite bands (Pink Floyd, Yes, Marillion, Steven Wilson)...
...my favorite music is prog rock and metal and jazz.
...but I still have some normal stuff and I'm always open for new inspirations.
...and I still love to here music live.

Last orders was Pink Floyds Animals Limited Deluxe Edition, Marillions Holidays in Eden Deluxe Edition, and a couple of colored vinyls from the Dream Theater Lost Not Forgotten Archive official bootleg series.

I'm here to find new music and get all the facts und features behind the new and the old stuff!

Nice to meet you all.
Rick Wakeman has a pretty good selection of surround titles. His latest (I forget the exact title, but it includes “Red Planet”) is very good. And, of course, a lot of his early work on vinyl was released in quad.

Hi. I got into Dolby surround in the early 80's using an SQ decoder circuit built from a plan in Electronics Australia. Rudimentary, without rear-channel delay, but fun. I went on to a Sanyo decoder, an SD-100 from Raidek and watched as surround went from hobbyist to Atmos. As far as quad audio goes, I'm a novice, so looking forward to learning much. Mike.
There are plenty of folks here who will help you empty your bank account (don’t ask me how I know).

Welcome aboard Mike. I’m in the US but Australia is well represented here. If you post your current equipment setup, folks here can help you continue with your quest. Also, if you love quad and have an SACD player then I would highly recommend checking out Dutton Vocalion.

Hi everyone!

I'm Jason, originally from Warwickshire in England, but lived for over 25 years in Paris before eventually moving to the Barcelona area in 2017. I finally have a (modest) surround sound setup I'm happy with, and no neighbours to complain about the volume.

I have about 60 surround albums in my collection, and used to download quad rips to burn to DVD (which is why I'd really like to see an official release of Joni Mitchell's quad albums). Now, I keep an eye out for superdeluxe re-releases including surround mixes either new or old (current hopes are to see a 5.1 mix for Grace Jones 'Slave To The Rhythm' and maybe even Scritti Politti 'Cupid & Psyche 85'.)

I don't know how active I'll be on the forum, but pleased to join and looking forward to seeing how it goes. Not a lot of people understand my fascination for and love of surround music, so it's good to find people who do. Speak to you soon!

Wow, that was thorough! If you don’t already have the Japanese SACD of “Bitches Brew” then I strongly suggest that you drop everything and place an order with CDJapan(…he says, assuming that Alex has an SACD player 🤔).

Hi, @esimms86

Thank you for recommending the Miles Davis Bitches Brew SACD. I will start searching on discogs for it.
Yes, I have an "universal music player", its a second hand Denon DBT-1713UD - it plays all my music including SACD and DVD audio and all my movies, but no 4k (but this is fine for me). 🙃

all the best,
Alex / allmind

Red Planet is a worthwhile add to my collection!

Hi @Quadkid ,
Thank you for your recommandation, I'll checked my preferred dealer and, I found the surround version of the Red Planet from RIck Wakeman.
I love his early music, but some times I need to shrink my CD collection (space is limited 🤓 ) and a couple of years ago I selled the first 2 oder 3 "normal" CDs of him.
Now I will start searching the surround mixes.
Best regards,
allmind / Alex

Hi @Quadkid ,
Thank you for your recommandation, I'll checked my preferred dealer and, I found the surround version of the Red Planet from RIck Wakeman.
I love his early music, but some times I need to shrink my CD collection (space is limited 🤓 ) and a couple of years ago I selled the first 2 oder 3 "normal" CDs of him.
Now I will start searching the surround mixes.
Best regards,
allmind / Alex
Sounds like you need a bigger house!

Sounds like you need a bigger house!
(y):cool::p
My music and the hifi equipment is part of our living room, I'm a family guy.
I need a room for all that stuff alone.
Then I can collect more and even upgrade the speaker setup. :SG

But on the other side it is good to be limited. It's good for the nature & the environment & for my money. And the I think that my kids (generation streaming) don't want to inhert tons of medias.

enjoy your friday & I wish all a funky weekend,
Alex

Welcome aboard Mike. I’m in the US but Australia is well represented here. If you post your current equipment setup, folks here can help you continue with your quest. Also, if you love quad and have an SACD player then I would highly recommend checking out Dutton Vocalion.
" If you post your current equipment setup " Thanks. Yamaha RXA-2060 and Panasonic UB-9000 - AR94 speakers and assorted collected Yamaha gear including AM-Stereo tuners/AM broadband, DVD-S1500 for legacy stuff. Also a EKCO SW-86 Valve radio in glorious superhetrodyne monophonic audio.

" If you post your current equipment setup " Thanks. Yamaha RXA-2060 and Panasonic UB-9000 - AR94 speakers and assorted collected Yamaha gear including AM-Stereo tuners/AM broadband, DVD-S1500 for legacy stuff. Also a EKCO SW-86 Valve radio in glorious superhetrodyne monophonic audio.
Denon AVR-S750H, Oppo BDP 103, pm Sony 800, various Klipsch ceiling mount and wall mount speakers

Back