DVD/DTS Poll Crow, Sheryl - The Globe Sessions [DTS-ES CD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS-CD of Sheryl Crow - THE GLOBE SESSIONS

• Total voters
I like Sheryl Crow a lot, so the music was a 9 to me, but the surround mix was only an 8, {satisfactory, nothing great about it}. But over all i have to go with 9, I like it. :)

Good sound quality and an OK surround mix. The songs are some of her better stuff so overall an 8.

I'm finally installing a full 7.1 surround system with rear and side surround speakers, so I'm interested in anything that will take advantage of the rear channels. This Sheryl Crow disc is supposedly a DTS-ES mix that includes a discrete rear center channel in addition to surround left and right channels. Can any of you comment on whether you hear anything unique coming from the rear channel on this disc?

Also, does anyone know if the DTS mix is otherwise identical to the one on the DVD-A version of this disc from Universal? Ironically, the low-rez DTS version typically sells for a dollar MORE than the hi-rez DVD-A version. The DVD-A version is not in the Hi-Rez poll forum, so I have no insight into that surround mix.

The dvd-a mix and the dts mix are the same. As far as the DTS ES mix there is one but since the surround mix is pretty tame to begin with I doubt much is done with the extra rear speaker, but I could be wrong. I think SHe-Daisy DVD-A also has DTS ES and it is a much more aggressive mix if you want to try it out.

:banana:

Attachments

• sheryl crow_globe sessions dts.jpg
    sheryl crow_globe sessions dts.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 659
There are no dvd audio mixed in 6.1 there are a few DTS mixes in 6.1 but not many.

Nice sound, but I really can't stand Crow, for reasons that remain uncertain. A '7,' and I wish we'd gotten a 5.1 for her hits comp instead, which would have had more variety, if nothing else.

ED :)

Here's a thing.
I have 2 copies of this one, one is in a jewel case and states 11 tracks but the other is in an SJB and states 14 tracks.
However, you cannot directly access tracks 12, 13 & 14 - although there is a "hidden" track after the final one, but only a total of 4 minutes and certainly not any of the 3 tracks in question.
What gives? Does anyone know where the extra tracks have gone to??

It's not the G'n'R track on my DTS-CD version (although that is one of the 14 listed - the other 2 being "Carolina" and "Resuscitation").

Nobody got any idea then, I take it?

Just listening to this now - was a bit disappointed to receive a DTS-CD rather than a DVD-A, but the price was right for DTS. This sounds a bit low res and muddy to me, and I wonder if that's to do with the extra data required for the extra channel on top of the usual data compression. I've been interested in the album in general for years though, so it's nice to finally pick it up, and I'm liking it enough.

I'm giving this a 7. I like the album, a lot I think. I also like the mix, there's plenty going on in the rears, and as a whole it is consistent and solid: few, if any gimmicks - other than it being in surround. I am not set up to hear the extra rear channel. I think my biggest issue is the sound quality being a bit woolly, and low res sounding. Also it being a DTS CD there's no stereo version of the album to listen to. I would have liked lyrics too.

Back