HiRez Poll Marillion - HOLIDAYS IN EDEN [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Marillion - HOLIDAYS IN EDEN

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this new 2022 remix of the classic Marillion album "Holidays in Eden".
Remixed in 5.1 surround and stereo by our very own @Stephen W Tayler, the remix comes in a 3CD/Blu-Ray edition with a bonus live concert on two additional CDs and TONS of video material on the Blu-Ray.

Pre-release discussion thread: Marillion "Holidays in Eden" remix from Stephen W Tayler in September 2022!

2609.jpg

MarillionHIE2022_DeluxeBDBook_Expanded_1920px_v2.jpg

Received this release the same day as Pink Floyd's Animals.

Sorry Marillion, it had to wait until today to get a full airing.

Firstly, the all important surround mix.....
Stephen has produced a fantastic 5.1 mix.
And what an oversite not to be credited with his skills for the surround mixes, in the sleeve notes.

We are very fortunate to have extremely clever and committed mixing engineers in the UK. Long may it continue!!

This album is a very enjoyable listen and as Madscot said , great value for money.

A highly recommended 10 :)

Last edited:
Received this release the same day as Pink Floyd's Animals.

Sorry Marilion, it had to wait until today to get a full airing.

Firstly, the all important surround mix.....
Stephen has produced a fantastic 5.1 mix.
And what an oversite not to be credited with his skills for the surround mixes, in the sleeve notes.

We are very fortunate to have extremely clever and committed mixing engineers in the UK. Long may it continue!!

This album is a very enjoyable listen and as Madscot said , great value for money.

A highly recommended 10 :)
I agree on the mix, very good, but it's also very loud. Had to lower my listening volume 5db. It also lends itself very well to Dolby Surround up mixing. :cool:

I agree on the mix, very good, but it's also very loud. Had to lower my listening volume 5db. It also lends itself very well to Dolby Surround up mixing. :cool:
It is a touch loud, as it's got the good lady to poke her head into the bat cave and said 'She likes the music but can't hear herself think!!' :D

To be clear, I was totally unaware of Marillion in 1991, but have become a fan in the last few years, starting, I think, with the surround version of "Clutching At Straws". So all are pre-Hoggarth, back in the Fish era.
But from the first song through the last of the main tracks, I quite enjoyed my very first listen. I had no preconceived idea of how any tracks should sound.
It's a good mix, perhaps better/more interesting than the song content itself, so I settled on a good solid 9.
To me the song content is a little dated, yet enjoyable, very very easy to listen to, and as I said good mixing with great "listenability". Before I knew it the main album songs had finished, and i was a little surprised because it seemed to be over so quickly. No uncomfortable stretches, no awkward effects, just easy to listen to. Sometimes "easy to listen to" has much meaning to me, a 50+ year tinnitus sufferer. No audio fatigue here, though, smooth as buttah. Hat's off to Mr. Tayler! Good job.

Excellent mix. Another excellent job by Stephen Tayler. This album has grown on me over the years. I hope after Seasons End, it is not the end for these deluxe editions. I would love to have a deluxe edition of This Strange Engine with a 5.1 mix.

I voted 10.
I listened in length twice. Panasonic Blu Ray player, 5.1 in DTS-HD MSTR, volume about 66db. B&W speakers, Rel Subs, McIntosh AVR and amps.
I really like this release, it checks off all the 3 boxes related to my vote. It is Marillion with there signature sound, but adds one kind of hard rock track and two more poppy tracks.
The 5.1 mix is superb. When I listen to a 5.1 release hard copy that is done well like this, it makes me hate streaming music more.
Packaging is my favorite type, little book, lots of info and discs. Marillion, the band and there parent company are definitely not money whores.
Menu, super easy to use, lots of stuff to play on the BluRay.
One minor complaint, that does not detract from my 10 vote, the on screen menu in the Holidays In Eden chapter selection, the little white square cursor does not move when advancing (playing through chapters). Just stays on the, in my case track 1. So if I look up, because I am not familiar with the songs, it does not tell me exactly what song I am listening to. You can close that screen and then go back to chapters and it will correct it self. Minor flaw in whoever authored the BD-A.
Glad I own this.
Keep poll threads pure, no off topic chatter, please. Just your own voting and why, please.

I voted a 9. I voted a 10 for Be Bop Deluxe - Drastic Plastic 5.1 mix so if that surround mix is a 10, I find Holidays in Eden a 9. Still a great 5.1 surround mix.
I also find I am adjusting the volume between songs so maybe mastered a little loud? There are more knowledgable members than myself to discuss loudness so I am just mentioning adjusting volume levels.

9, nothing wrong with the mix at all. The album is the least impressive of the seven to have received the 5.1 treatment, but the mix sounds great.
Isn't life funny?

I never heard of Marillion prior to Brave being released in surround. Musically, this may be my favorite album yet.

I'm going to go krazy here, and say the surround mix is as good or maybe even better than Brave, which for me was previously the torch bearer for the series.

Isn't life funny?

I never heard of Marillion prior to Brave being released in surround. Musically, this may be my favorite album yet.

I'm going to go krazy here, and say the surround mix is as good or maybe even better than Brave, which for me was previously the torch bearer for the series.

Interesting. I hadn’t listened to the album a lot since it came out, but after hearing the surround mix a couple of times, I have to say the album is much better than it was in my memory.

Interesting. I hadn’t listened to the album a lot since it came out, but after hearing the surround mix a couple of times, I have to say the album is much better than it was in my memory.
Exactly the same as me, I have every Marillion album and this was my least played album over the years, since the new version came out I have listened to it more than i have in the previous 30 years
Thank you Stephen W Tayler

I voted 10.
I listened in length twice. Panasonic Blu Ray player, 5.1 in DTS-HD MSTR, volume about 66db. B&W speakers, Rel Subs, McIntosh AVR and amps.
I really like this release, it checks off all the 3 boxes related to my vote. It is Marillion with there signature sound, but adds one kind of hard rock track and two more poppy tracks.
The 5.1 mix is superb. When I listen to a 5.1 release hard copy that is done well like this, it makes me hate streaming music more.
Packaging is my favorite type, little book, lots of info and discs. Marillion, the band and there parent company are definitely not money whores.
Menu, super easy to use, lots of stuff to play on the BluRay.
One minor complaint, that does not detract from my 10 vote, the on screen menu in the Holidays In Eden chapter selection, the little white square cursor does not move when advancing (playing through chapters). Just stays on the, in my case track 1. So if I look up, because I am not familiar with the songs, it does not tell me exactly what song I am listening to. You can close that screen and then go back to chapters and it will correct it self. Minor flaw in whoever authored the BD-A.
Glad I own this.
Keep poll threads pure, no off topic chatter, please. Just your own voting and why, please.
RE: the cursor/symbol following playback. That's my complaint about more than one album. Love the way they did it on xPropaganda.

I'm having some issues with room correction so I'm not sure if what I'm hearing is just my EQ or a real issue. I'm noticing that the quieter bits sound great but louder parts not so much. For example, Splintering Heart sounds great but when I'm really anticipating the crashing guitar solos, they sound... compressed? Like everything gets squashed together and the hi-hats and crash cymbals are fighting with the guitars for centre stage. I listened to Closure/Continuation in Atmos after and don't find this issue so maybe it is the mix? Does anyone else notice this? I find this in most of the songs. The vocals get a bit buried in louder sections as well. I'm using Dirac on an Onkyo RZ-50. As I'm hearing it now, I guess I'd give it a 7 or an 8.

Back