HiRez Poll Horvitz, Wayne - SWEETER THAN THE DAY [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Wayne Horvitz - SWEETER THAN THE DAY

• 10: Great Fidelity, Great Surround, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Surround, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this SACD on the "Songlines" Label (y):phones(n)

Maybe best on a rainy fall afternoon. Mostly somber ,slow, and introspective.
Great sound and space to the mix.

Hmm. I didn't know about this one. I'll look for it.

If anyone want to hear Wayne playing music that is *not* "somber ,slow, and introspective," check out the self-titled album by Naked City (one of my favorite albums ever).

J. D.

A nicely varied set of thoughtful originals from the talented Horvitz. One can hear a bit of Bill Evans and even a bit of Cecil Taylor in his influences but he strikes me as primarily coming from a Keith Jarrett perspective. While the compositions are not wildly original they are modern and probing, for the most part, and the tight quartet plays with sensitivity and creativity. The sound is quite good if a bit too heavy on the extreme low-end. The kick drum and bass E string can be a bit boomy at times. In fact, I turned down the sub while listening (and I'm a bass aficionado). But the clarity and detail of the piano and guitar are quite good and the spaciousness of the surround mix perfectly suits the music. I rate it an overall 8.

Back