New Alan Parsons album "From The New World" out in July! (CD/DVD release)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Something like this,
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/.../onkyo-tx-rz50-review-home-theater-avr.30842/As it stands the RZ50's amps exhibited some serious issues when attempting to drive 4 ohm loads but if your speakers are closer to 8 ohm loads it should offer acceptable performance at this price level. The Dirac Live DSP is a big plus here.
Thanks for the link, Sal.
Well all my speakers are 8 ohm. I was looking at this one but leaning more toward the TX-NR7100 @ $1300. (B&H) but need to find a good review.
IF price were no consideration I would likely go for a Denon. But sadly, money is tight. There are plenty of used AVR's out there, good ones, at low price points but I'm kind of skittish about buying used AVR's (not so much with disc players, my Oppo's were bought used/or reconditioned by Oppo). I may have to forgo that and bite the bullet to get a better unit.
New speakers will NOT be in the budget.

I may have to forgo that and bite the bullet to get a better unit.
Your call bro. But that Onkyo provides really excellent DAC performance, in the top 1/3 of all AVR's tested and provides Dirac Live, one of the best DRC systems on the market. The fact that the amps fall down driving 4 ohm loads shouldn't effect your 8 ohm speakers to any real extent. In any case it also offers pre-out connections for all channels including 2 subwoofer connections! So if you should ever find yourself running out of juice, the market is full of powerful inexpensive used amps or even new Class D amps.
This is the arrangement I have in my rig with a Denon X4700H at it's head.
IMHO I think that Onkyo might be a grand slam for you.
Just my 2 cents. ;)

I remember seeing AP opening for yes in the summer of 98 and DTS was a sponsor. Alan talked about it briefly at the end of their set. At that time, I had no clue about multi channel music. I need to dig up my yes t shirt from the show, I am pretty sure it has the DTS logo on the back
And the show was in surround if my memory's right. Still have my ticket stub.

From The New World in 5.1 Dolby Digital is on thats it. I put on One Note Symphony, the 5.1 DTS-HD CDJapan version I bought (not cheap), and its a killer both performancewise, sonically and in terms of multichannel mix.
Its worth every penny - From The New World totally sucks in comparison. If you got the US version of One Note Symphony which is only Dolby Digital 5.1, see if you can get the CDJapan DTS-HD version - its awesome!
The CD/DVD was a waste of money. This surround mix is crappy Dolby Digital 5.1
Not much better than an mp3 in quality. They should be ashamed.

Last edited:
The CD/DVD was a waste of money. This surround mix is scrappy Dolby Digital 5.1
At least the top-end wasn't cranked to eleven, like on the recent Turn Of A Friendly Card BD release from Esoteric. Most disappointing release of 2023 so far for me...

The CD/DVD was a waste of money. This surround mix is scrappy Dolby Digital 5.1
I agree. I got the blue ray of One Note Symphony from CD, Japan, and it’s fantastic.
From the New World is absolutely terrible in Dolby Digital 5.1 and unfortunately the Japanese copy is also Dolby digital.

Last edited:
Thanks @Mr. Afternoon I now know that surround lpcm is allowed on a DVD.
Within the DVD-V spec? How?
Well.....Yes and no!
View attachment 80720
Source: LPCM Audio Limitations (The 'MuxMan' DVD software developer).....

So... For anyone who's interested to know if it's possible to place 6-channel [48.0kHz/16-bit] LPCM audio within a DVD-Video.vob file, here's a 60 second sample: -

https://www.mediafire.com/file/o6etvjb4ro7v7ix/DVD_6Ch_PCM_Audio_%5B48.16%5D_Test.zip/file

Last edited:
So... For anyone who's interested to know if it's possible to place 6-channel [48.0kHz/16-bit] LPCM audio within a DVD-Video.vob file, here's a 60 second sample: -

https://www.mediafire.com/file/o6etvjb4ro7v7ix/DVD_6Ch_PCM_Audio_%5B48.16%5D_Test.zip/file
But if it were burned to a DVD would any hardware DVD player actually play it correctly? It's clearly within the max bit rate for DVD, CD runs at 1.5mbps so 3 of that for 6 channels is 4.5mbps and then there's the 48KHz increase but that's still well within DVD bit rate. But that's only step one.

In 5.1 surround sound? I doubt it, is there anything in the DVD spec about 5.1 LPCM?
Yes 6-channel (even 8-channel) LPCM is permissible in the DVD-Video specification but only using 48.0kHz/16-bit...

76183-Muxman.PNG

More info:
DVD-Video Spec 'Audio' Requirements @ Wikipedia
MuxMan LPCM Audio Limitations (The 'MuxMan' DVD software developer)

The great thing about the DVD specification is that it permits 'still images' to be imported (as well as MPEG-2 video), which helps to keep the overall bit-rate/disc spin rate within specification.

Last edited:
Back