Do you like hallucinations ?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd never heard of him, but thank God for youtube. Man, he's amazing. That first tune sure reminds me a bit of LOVE (band) For sure, I need to locate a good copy of his debut album. Thanks for sharing that.
He did the lead vocal on Pink Floyd's Have a Cigar. Apparently neither Waters nor Gilmour wanted to or felt capable of doing it. I also think he has fought with them over song royalties.

@kvadro, What are your opinions about the information you have posted? Do you think the Faust recording is quad encoded? Clearly the Roy Harper is not.

@kvadro, What are your opinions about the information you have posted? Do you think the Faust recording is quad encoded? Clearly the Roy Harper is not.

@Mark Anderson

The faust as far as I remember was QS but we need ANOTHER listen opinion from someone. It's on youtube so if one can check one track we will know !

Are you sure the Roy harper is not. I don't have it but ONLY the release ***with quad on labels*** should (?) be Quad. Only one on youtube but it's most likely the stereo one, so we have to wait untill someone here get a copy of the one with quad on labels and tell us. I did try myself to get a copy but no luck so far
Did someone did listen to this version and told you already that it was not quad ?

Attachments

• R-11362886-1514985870-1674.jpg
    R-11362886-1514985870-1674.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

@Mark Anderson

Are you sure the Roy harper is not.
1667938495369.png
The Hafler system as mentioned on the label is a playback method and not an encode/decode method for multichannel audio and that is why I made that statement.
The 1977 "Early years" album was a reissue of his 1967 album. The three UK copies shown on discogs all have the same catalog number but only one out of two showing labels mention the hafler system

I'd never heard of him, but thank God for youtube. Man, he's amazing. That first tune sure reminds me a bit of LOVE (band) For sure, I need to locate a good copy of his debut album. Thanks for sharing that.
I've seen Roy Harper loads of times, first in 1975 at the Knebworth Festival, then he played my Uni, last time was Cropredy Festival a few years ago.

The track we all loved as teenagers was "Twelve Hours Of Sunset" (off the album Valentine ).
You can buy downloads from his website The Official Roy Harper Shop - Downloads

As far as I know there has never been a Quad release by Roy Harper.

• Wow
Reactions: GOS
View attachment 85160 The Hafler system as mentioned on the label is a playback method and not an encode/decode method for multichannel audio and that is why I made that statement.
The 1977 "Early years" album was a reissue of his 1967 album. The three UK copies shown on discogs all have the same catalog number but only one out of two showing labels mention the hafler system
The Hafler system was not just a playback system. The Gately encoder was the encoder for the Hafler diamond and for Dynaquad.

I have a record encoded in the Hafler system.

And I encoded material in the Hafler system for use in a stage play.

The Hafler system was not just a playback system. The Gately encoder was the encoder for the Hafler diamond and for Dynaquad.

I have a record encoded in the Hafler system.

And I encoded material in the Hafler system for use in a stage play.
THANKS for the info as I am not so much into technical even if quad. And it's always nice lo learn

Last edited:
I've seen Roy Harper loads of times, first in 1975 at the Knebworth Festival, then he played my Uni, last time was Cropredy Festival a few years ago.

The track we all loved as teenagers was "Twelve Hours Of Sunset" (off the album Valentine ).
You can buy downloads from his website The Official Roy Harper Shop - Downloads

As far as I know there has never been a Quad release by Roy Harper.
I have seen Roy Haper a few time from Festivals (Glastonbury) to small venues, always entertaining good with the between song banter. Extraordinarily loud acoustic guitar player without amplification in a small venue

Regarding the Faust poster and the Roy Harper LP, I have added these to the Quadraphonic Popular Discography

FAUST -
* Faust. Polydor 2310 142 [Germany]
{A promotional poster printed in Germany for the album states "A New 3
Dimensional Quadraphonic Rock Experience". The LP has no indication of
Quad. the status has not been determined}

ROY HARPER -
* The Early Years. CBS 31544 [UK]
{A reissue of the 1967 album "Come Out Fighting Ghengis Smith". Side A
label has “Quad-q hafler system” printed under “Stereo”, side B label
has “hafler-q” printed under “Stereo”. The catalog number is the same
as three other pressings from the time and those pressings do not
contain the Hafler notation. As for being Quad, the status has not
been determined}

Regarding the Faust poster and the Roy Harper LP, I have added these to the Quadraphonic Popular Discography

FAUST -
* Faust. Polydor 2310 142 [Germany]
{A promotional poster printed in Germany for the album states "A New 3
Dimensional Quadraphonic Rock Experience". The LP has no indication of
Quad. the status has not been determined}

ROY HARPER -
* The Early Years. CBS 31544 [UK]
{A reissue of the 1967 album "Come Out Fighting Ghengis Smith". Side A
label has “Quad-q hafler system” printed under “Stereo”, side B label
has “hafler-q” printed under “Stereo”. The catalog number is the same
as three other pressings from the time and those pressings do not
contain the Hafler notation. As for being Quad, the status has not
been determined}
I remember borrowing my school friend's Faust with the transparent album & cover (UK pressing), that was released in 1971, they were very experimental, and I'm sure if it had been we would have known at 14-15 years old we were a wee bit obsessive on music & albums! The German pressings on Discogs are quite expensive, so I won't be trying to find out.

The Roy Harper was a 1977 re-release (I don't have it or the original release), as it was CBS if they had done it in Quad it would have thought it would have been SQ, but its cheap, so when I get back from my business trip (I'm off in a few days for almost 2 weeks) I'll try and get a copy and see what the SM2 does with it! Mind you if I remember correctly its got Roy Harper with an orchestra, so not his 'typical' fare.

I will list this one here. This record has some tracks from the Cosmic Jokers records: The Cosmic Jokers
So "normally" SOME TRACKS SHOULD BE QUAD (????). The copy with the poster is a boot

Attachments

• Take Your Headphones.jpg
    Take Your Headphones.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 0
The Cosmic Jokers and Galactic Supermarket were both Quad.
Most of the albums produced by Rolph Ulrich-Kaiser and Gille Lettemann on Kosmiche Musik for the Ohr Label were all quad ( I have a few) All the quads were mixed by Dieter Dierks.
As far as I know, the first or any Faust albums are not Quad, as they were all done at their own studio at Wurme and only the 2 track masters were given to Polydor Germany to be pressed.
If you google Rolph and Gille you will find they were thrown out of Germany and had their label disbanded by the German government for ripping off their artists including Klaus Schulze !

Last edited:
Yeah...Lonesome Crow is a killer !
That was mixed by Germany's best mixer Conny Plank RIP who did Kraftwerk, Neu, Cluster, Harmonia etc
Can't remember for sure but it sounds QS.
QS ?? Conny Plank did SQ
Will have to recheck this one

WHO DID THE MIXING ??

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: GOS
I put this one here: SAME COVER but LOOK at the LABELS!

I need A BETTER PHOTO for the greyish label. THANKS!

Attachments

• FCCA-83_Richard STRAUSS~Leonard BERNSTEIN.jpg
    FCCA-83_Richard STRAUSS~Leonard BERNSTEIN.jpg
    611.6 KB · Views: 0
  • FCCA-83_Richard STRAUSS~Leonard BERNSTEIN.jpg
    FCCA-83_Richard STRAUSS~Leonard BERNSTEIN.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 0
  • FCCA-83_Richard STRAUSS~Leonard BERNSTEIN_02 MAY MAY.jpg
    FCCA-83_Richard STRAUSS~Leonard BERNSTEIN_02 MAY MAY.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 0
Back