FLAC issues

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if there are any other Sony UBP-X800M2 owners that can offer some feedback?

Maybe a moderator can change this topics title to something like: Sony UBP-X800M2 FLAC playback issues!

I loaded a 16 bit file in Audacity and had no issue with outputting 16 or 24 bit. I am not sure about the issue here.
The only WAV option the dropdown gave me was 16 bit

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-10.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-11-10.jpg
    338.5 KB · Views: 0
The only WAV option the dropdown gave me was 16 bit
There is a box under the dropdown menu you have open in the picture. It says "Encoding". It has like 15 options including 24 bit.
wav-24bit..jpg
wav-24bit..jpg

FLAC Files will work on my Sony player if put on a jump drive. FYI, I erase the jump drives and only put one album on each drive, so the drive "shouldn't" be an issue.

The ones I bought were Flac files. 96000 Hz 24 bit. They work fine. The one my friend gave me were ALSO Flac files 96000 Hz 24 bit. They don't.

My friends files open perfectly in Audacity. I resaved them to a new Flac file. That still didn't work. I tried to save them to 48000hz. That didn't work.

I tried resaving them again, creating a new Flac file in xAct. That didn't work either. Again, I brought the xAct version into Audacity, and it opens fine. Still, my Sony player doesn't recognize the file.
Did you try saving it in wav in Audacity. This fixed any issues with 7.1 or Atmos files that couldn't be recognized in a FLAC container. My Oppo 103 doesn't like 7.1 files in FLAC but is okay with them in WAV.

So as was suggested by a couple of posts (thank you), I made WAV files in Audacity. I couldn't play them using a flash drive, which I didn't think it would. But tried anyway. Rightly, or wrongly, I burned the file onto a DVD as a data file. If I burned it to an audio file, it would automatically make it a stereo file. It worked, sort of. The file played, but was all glitchy. Still something not right. Just downloaded a current version of Audacity and will try again.

I don’t know with any certainty that I (or someone else) haven’t already made this suggestion, but goldwave (www.goldwave.com) opens FLAC files, allows playback and editing, and also has a very large choice of file formats for storage. It’s fairly cheap, easy to use, and has a free trial.

Audacity is free and does that.

You can certainly open a FLAC file in Audacity, and save it as a WAV file at a higher or lower sample rate than its original SR, and higher or lower bit rate.

So I don't see the point in adding yet another piece of software.

At this point your best bet is to make an example file* available to us, from a Dropbox or similar. It's difficult to diagnose remotely like this, especially as so many variables keep changing.

*providing an example file that *does* work would would also be good

Last edited:
Audacity is free and does that.

You can certainly open a FLAC file in Audacity, and save it as a WAV file at a higher or lower sample rate than its original SR, and higher or lower bit rate.

So I don't see the point in adding yet another piece of software.
Well, the OP is having trouble with that software, so another program (with a free trial) wouldn’t hurt. We’re all grasping at straws here.

Back