SPOTLIGHT The classical music general discussion thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone have a pointer to purchase a multichannel download of this?
1668113785308.png

Reactions: mkt
Hm. Maybe they'd planned to release it in surround when SFS Media (sort of) went belly up? Brant's Ice Field got caught in that limbo, I think. They released it as a binaural download for a hot minute before it disappeared. Now it's in Atmos on Apple Music (though still not on Tidal, evidently). The Copland is stereo only on Apple Music.
I downloaded the Copland (24/192 5.1) directly from the SFS Media website.

Coming December 9th from DGG [2 RBCDs/1 Pure Audio BD~A in Dolby ATMOS]

71-2bGoOV4L._SL1500_.jpg

Schumann: The Symphonies[2 CD/Blu-ray Audio]
Is it absolutely clear that they're including the Atmos mix on the Blu-Ray? On the product page at DG, it says only "Dolby Atmos also available"--which these days is usually weasel-speak for streaming-only. I can't find confirmation anywhere else, including an equivocal review at The Classic Review.

@humprof thank you for pointing me towards jpc.de I had sort of heard of them mentioned in posts but jumped to the erroneous conclusion they were from Japan because of the initials. Found a couple of very good things VERY aggressively priced which is the way I like to buy stuff.

I like "weasel speak" 🤣 🤣

Last edited:
And according to the PRESTO Music website, these are relatively NEW recordings made between September/October 2021!

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/9373977--schumann-the-symphonies
@humprof thank you for pointing me towards jpc.de I had sort of heard of them mentioned in posts but jumped to the erroneous conclusion they were from Japan because of the initials. Found a couple of very good things VERY aggressively priced which is the way I like to buy stuff.

I like "weasel speak" 🤣 🤣
Yes--his 3d time around with Schumann, evidently. Completed just last fall, before his recent health problems (the subject of a story last weekend in the Times). The Atmos mixes as I've heard them on Apple Music are not bad.

JPC's current price works out to be about $3 more than Amazon's, plus shipping--though if you're already buying other items, the shipping is only an additional 80 cents or so. Presto Classical used to be my go-to, Gene, but I've shifted to JPC over the past couple of years. Their shipping charges to the US are crazy cheap, and their prices go even lower once they remove VAT, after you've entered a non-EU shipping address.

Yes--his 3d time around with Schumann, evidently. Completed just last fall, before his recent health problems (the subject of a story last weekend in the Times). The Atmos mixes as I've heard them on Apple Music are not bad.

JPC's current price works out to be about $3 more than Amazon's, plus shipping--though if you're already buying other items, the shipping is only an additional 80 cents or so. Presto Classical used to be my go-to, Gene, but I've shifted to JPC over the past couple of years. Their shipping charges to the US are crazy cheap, and their prices go even lower once they remove VAT, after you've entered a non-EU shipping address.
JPC does have amazing prices, humprof, and I've placed many recent orders with them and besides the Hanssler recommendation I'm also adding the newly released ALL NIGHT VIGIL multi~ch SACD which JPC has on sale for €14,99 minus VAT [AmazonUS is $20]

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/all-night-vigil/hnum/11064784

JPC does have amazing prices, humprof, and I've placed many recent orders with them and besides the Hanssler recommendation I'm also adding the newly released ALL NIGHT VIGIL multi~ch SACD which JPC has on sale for €14,99 minus VAT [AmazonUS is $20]

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/all-night-vigil/hnum/11064784
Ooo--didn't realize that was being made available to retailers. (I thought you had to go directly to Cappella Romana for it.) Good tip.

I don't know how many of you are set up for Atmos on Apple Music. Some of the more notable (to me) titles from this past week include a bunch of warhorses, specifically a 1982 Barenboim Ravel album on DG (MusicWeb calls his Bolero "bombastic"):
A new Rachmaninoff 3d symphony on Chandos:
And two more entries from the Celibadache Bruckner cycle on EMI Classics:

And it looks like Decca is releasing the entire remastered Ring cycle--not just the highlights album--to the streaming services after all, starting with Rheingold. My understanding is that the Atmos mixes were done from stereo, with studio reverbs & such. I suspect your receiver's Dolby Surround Upmixer DSP, if it has one, will yield a more dramatic "immersive" effect. But maybe that's not what you prefer.

Last edited:
Back