Michael Jackson's Thriller in 3D & Dolby Atmos

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel like this question has been popping up for all record labels a little too much lately. Makes ya wonder if they're doing any market research. 🤔
We are a relatively small surround enthusiasts community, with blinders on to the fact that most folks now could care less for anything more than stereo on headphones; and even less so for physical media. Hard to say all that, but that’s now the facts of life.

Fully embrace and support places like Dutton-Vocalion, SDE, Sony SACDs, and the occasional one offs like Animals etc. The physical surround spigot is being shut off!

BTW, when did you say you’re next release will come out (physical I hope); I’m ready with coin for that :love:

Hopefully it'll also come to Tidal in Dolby Atmos soon!!
P.S. The 4K Thriller video is BEAUTIFUL looking now

I’m listening to this now, it sounds pretty good through AirPods Pro but does anyone else think the vocals on “Human Nature” sound like garbage? Like they got compressed to a crap bitrate MP3?

Edit: listening closer, sounds like the lead vocal was dynamically compressed and a de-easer was used but not tuned very well.

I’m listening to this now, it sounds pretty good through AirPods Pro but does anyone else think the vocals on “Human Nature” sound like garbage? Like they got compressed to a crap bitrate MP3?

Edit: listening closer, sounds like the lead vocal was dynamically compressed and a de-easer was used but not tuned very well.
yes, i noticed that on the lead vocal on "Human Nature" as well, a quite nasty spitty low quality to it. a shame as the mix on that track felt pretty good otherwise and on all other tracks lead vocals were fine.

i noticed certain tracks had more Bass than others (PYT in particular but that track in general was a Surround Sound highlight, i thought) and by and large it all veered a bit on the bright side with seldom a great deal going on in the Heights but when things did pop up up there they were cool (howling wolves in the title track, the "i'm a lover not a fighter" bit in "The Girl Is Mine") and the Surrounds were used more actively than i thought they would be for things like harmony and backing vocals, keys, effects, etc.

the footsteps that pan round the room at the beginning of "Thriller" made me chuckle! 😂

the Centre channel's mainly used to slightly emphasise/reinforce other elements, no isolated lead vocals in there at all as i'd hoped for if this record ever got the MultiCh treatment and really you'd barely miss it if you had the Centre shut off half the time. i think once or twice it may have been doing more than just sit there blasting out some horns or something rather than semi-quietly burbling away!

my bigger problem is i'm burned out on the album nowadays, which is the real shame about the release for me personally.

if this had come out 20 years ago in a 5.1 mix of this calibre (because there isn't really anything wrong with it from a Surround point of view) i think it would have had more impact and i know i would have lapped it up, i was still playing MJ's music a fair bit in the 90's/early 00's, not so much these days.

as it is, it almost feels like almost too little too late, maybe, i'm not sure?

right now i think i'd give it a very respectable 8/10 in a QQ Poll, although it may grow on me and i'm very happy the album's finally been mixed in Surround Sound because if any record was made for multichannel, "this is it!" 👍

On Tidal in 360 RA not Atmos.
as you said in the Listening To in Atmos thread, this is probably why some folks aren't getting much low end.

for some reason 360RA mixes with little to no LFE info going on in them seem to play havoc with some systems when those kinds of mixes are repurposed into Atmos.

yes, i noticed that on the lead vocal on "Human Nature" as well, a quite nasty spitty low quality to it. a shame as the mix on that track felt pretty good otherwise and on all other tracks lead vocals were fine.

i noticed certain tracks had more Bass than others (PYT in particular but that track in general was a Surround Sound highlight, i thought) and by and large it all veered a bit on the bright side with seldom a great deal going on in the Heights but when things did pop up up there they were cool (howling wolves in the title track, the "i'm a lover not a fighter" bit in "The Girl Is Mine") and the Surrounds were used more actively than i thought they would be for things like harmony and backing vocals, keys, effects, etc.

the footsteps that pan round the room at the beginning of "Thriller" made me chuckle! 😂

the Centre channel's mainly used to slightly emphasise/reinforce other elements, no isolated lead vocals in there at all as i'd hoped for if this record ever got the MultiCh treatment and really you'd barely miss it if you had the Centre shut off half the time. i think once or twice it may have been doing more than just sit there blasting out some horns or something rather than semi-quietly burbling away!

my bigger problem is i'm burned out on the album nowadays, which is the real shame about the release for me personally.

if this had come out 20 years ago in a 5.1 mix of this calibre (because there isn't really anything wrong with it from a Surround point of view) i think it would have had more impact and i know i would have lapped it up, i was still playing MJ's music a fair bit in the 90's/early 00's, not so much these days.

right now i think i'd give it a very respectable 8/10 in a QQ Poll, although it may grow on me and i'm very happy the album's finally been mixed in Surround Sound because if any record was made for multichannel, "this is it!" 👍
Interesting post old bean. I hadn't listened to the album for a bit so was still quite refreshing to me. But can understand what you mean...

It's possible that some of the bad things that the singer "allegedly" did (most probably/defo guilty), have taken some of the shine off this mahoosive album looking back? I'm not saying that's what's happened in your case but just a general observation about that bad publicity?

Also repeated listening doesn't help. I often wonder how music producers can manage to keep listening to the same song being recorded over and over to ever get the thing finished before it's even been released?! 😂

The way I look at it - to address the elephant in the room is that it's all just about the music. A lot of which was written by Rod Templeton. Also the stellar Quincy Jones production and brilliant musical ability of that semi-famous backing group - The Toto, Eddie Van Halen and Paul McCartney band! :D

I was just still impressed at what an amazing album it is. 7 out of the 9 songs were released as singles back in the day! The surround mix really complements the music too. I think it sounds great and a complete pleasant surprise... But I hadn't listened to it for a while so might be fed up with it next week?!

Hopefully this could open up doors to other albums - Off The Wall, Bad and erm what else did he do? Maybe Dangerous (if they include the videos!)? 😎

Last edited:
Interesting post old bean. I hadn't listened to the album for a bit so was still quite refreshing to me. But can understand what you mean...

It's possible that some of the bad things that the singer "allegedly" did (most probably/defo guilty), have taken some of the shine off this mahoosive album looking back? I'm not saying that's what's happened in your case but just a general observation about that bad publicity? Also repeated listening doesn't help. I often wonder how music producers can manage to keep listening to the same song being recorded over and over to ever get the thing finished before it's even been released?! 😂

The way I look at it - to address the elephant in the room is that it's all just about the music. A lot of which was written by Rod Templeton. Also the stellar Quincy Jones production and brilliant musical ability of that semi-famous backing group - The Toto, Eddie Van Halen and Paul McCartney band! :D

I was just still impressed at what an amazing album it is. 7 out of the 9 songs were released as singles back in the day! The surround mix really complements the music too. I think it sounds great and a complete pleasant surprise... But I hadn't listened to it for a while so might be fed up with it next week?!

Hopefully this could open up doors to other albums - Off The Wall, Bad and erm what else did he do? Maybe Dangerous (if they include the videos!)? 😎
of course all the private life revelation shenanigans haven't done much for his legacy, sadly and i'd be lying if i told you they didn't have some kind of impact on my listening enjoyment of his music now, although really more than anything i'd much rather hear "Off The Wall" in Atmos than "Thriller", i used to love that album but never really played it to death like i did "Thriller".

now i know its not the commercial juggernaut of "Thriller" but how about some other Rod Temperton gems in Atmos? like some Heatwave! 🔥 that'd be some mind-blowing boogie night hot kershizzle funky stuff owww bay-bee yeaahh!! i'd even get my disco balls out of mothballs for some of that! 💅🤤💝

So the question arises since the 3D Video of director John Landis' 13 minute THRILLER has also been 'remastered' do you think we'll eventually get a 2D/3D BD~V with the FULL ATMOS remix in Pure Audio BD~A?
who knows, Ralphie.. 🤷🏻‍♀️ that would be very cool, although it feels like everything's going streaming now so it kinda seems unlikely!?

who knows, Ralphie.. 🤷🏻‍♀️ that would be very cool, although it feels like everything's going streaming now so it kinda seems unlikely!?
Interestingly enough, supposedly Jackson himself rejected something like 25 previous 5.1 remixes of THRILLER so wonder what remix engineer finally passed 'muster' in the creation of the ATMOS remix?

Not to mention, perfectionist Jackson spent something like $30M in studio time in the creation of BAD ...... and that's in 1980's money!!!!!!!

The 360RA version has no center channel which isn't usually the case, unlike the subwoofer channel.

Back