Stuff that sounds amazing with the Surround Master

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might not be the music taste for you...but if it is, the SMv3 makes an amazing presentation in 4.1. I know, it's a MC SACD...but on this one, I prefer the SM 4.1 from the downmix. Love the music in either case.

Screenshot_20221001-212024_Discogs.jpg

The new 2022 Super-Deluxe release of Revolver by a little known under-rated group called The Beatles. The last track on the main album - Tomorrow Never Knows.....with the rears turned up maybe 3dB is..I think pretty close to the effect they would have wanted to have on the listener with this song.

This, technically speaking, is not what sounds amazing, but how the Involve SM makes the Wurlyscope look amazing during some...listening...and watching. Fun stuff and remarkable that @Wurly1 essentially built the units by hand.

View attachment 85393

Now that's way better than a Kmart Blue Light Special. LOVE IT!

Track #3 on this Eric Records Christmas album: Gene Autry's Here Comes Santa Clause. The separation is absurdly good, so good that I'd swear the song was Involve Encoded. It is Digitally Extracted Stereo taken from a 1947 mono recording, and relatively clean sounding compared to what I had expected.

Burl Ives' Holly Jolly Christmas also sounds very good, however it is in true wide stereo, not DES.

AmazingStereoXmas.jpg

I know this is probably completely off the beaten path for the majority here, but video games are one of my hobbies, and I was watching a recent gameplay clip from the upcoming remake of Dead Space, and the ambience and the way the voices move around the room with the camera direction, you'd think you were on the ship with the other characters. Really impressed me. Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled music programming. :)

Woo hoo! Finally got my SM v.2 that i purchased three summers ago out of the box and up and running! I'm sitting in the midst of 4 ELAC Debut 2.0 F5.2 speakers and really enjoying myself! Last weekend, i made a pilgrimage to my local record store (Squeezebox) and spied a couple of Sundazed Music reissues of Spirit albums in the sale section! I put Clear on and it's sounding trippylicious! Ah, Surround Master! Where have you been all my life! Better late than never!
9DE7CFFE-55C3-45A7-BC14-29E4303B54E5_1_105_c.jpeg

https://www.discogs.com/release/14163816-Spirit-Clear

Woo hoo! Finally got my SM v.2 that i purchased three summers ago out of the box and up and running! I'm sitting in the midst of 4 ELAC Debut 2.0 F5.2 speakers and really enjoying myself! Last weekend, i made a pilgrimage to my local record store (Squeezebox) and spied a couple of Sundazed Music reissues of Spirit albums in the sale section! I put Clear on and it's sounding trippylicious! Ah, Surround Master! Where have you been all my life! Better late than never!
View attachment 87221

One of my favorites! Ed Cassidy! Dark Eyed Woman!

View attachment 87221

You've only just begun, Clement.

The last paragraph of the liner notes reads, "This concert was originally recorded monaurally for radio broadcast. The master heard here can be especially interesting when heard through matrix quadraphonic / stereo equipment." INDEED! Stay Surround(ed,) Master(s)!
View attachment 87224
View attachment 87225
https://www.allmusic.com/album/conc...isc Concert in,compiled from two Tokyo dates.https://www.discogs.com/release/3419748-John-Coltrane-Concert-In-Japan
Obviously not the same master. ABC used the QS system for quad recordings; it should sound best in Involve 4.1.

Obviously not the same master. ABC used the QS system for quad recordings; it should sound best in Involve 4.1.
That's exactly how i played it! I was amazed at what a mono recording could sound like! I'm not sure why, but i just intuitively put it in Involve mode . . . i guess since it wasn't a Quad LP . . . or maybe i was just lazy and didn't switch it after listening to Spirit's Clear and The Family That Plays Together in Involve 4.1!

That's exactly how i played it! I was amazed at what a mono recording could sound like! I'm not sure why, but i just intuitively put it in Involve mode . . . i guess since it wasn't a Quad LP . . . or maybe i was just lazy and didn't switch it after listening to Spirit's Clear and The Family That Plays Together in Involve 4.1!
It's not a mono recording! They made a mono master for broadcast, probably from the multichannel master tape that they made the QS master from. It could be an unmarked quad, although most of the time the record label would say so on the ABC/Impulse albums.

It's not a mono recording! They made a mono master for broadcast, probably from the multichannel master tape that they made the QS master from. It could be an unmarked quad, although most of the time the record label would say so on the ABC/Impulse albums.
The label on this one says "Synthesized quad". This might be one of their earliest quad releases.

Back