Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I watched that on the way to Hong Kong, it is a strange film!
Very good sound mix though...it used to be one of those quintessential Blu-ray discs to pick up.

I generally am kind of a fan of Nolan's films as he cares about video and audio quality a lot...even Tenet, which had one of the most compressed audio mixes I've ever heard in a film, sounded great because of the sonic design and looked phenomenal because most of the film was shot almost entirely in IMAX (65mm). The 1080p disc on the Blu-ray almost looks 4k.

Although, maybe I should be talking about this in another thread!

I have Japanese SACD which is 5.1 mix. Is this original 4.0 and is it similar to MH40-box's DVD?
The EMI SACD has the original Quad mix from 1972. It’s a discrete mix with active use of the rear channels. It really rocks! I used to have the Japanese SACD from Warner. It has been a while since I heard it. IIRC the 5.1 mix is more front heavy. Some surround fans like newer 5.1 mixes (Pink Floyd’s DSOTM is a case in point). But I definitely prefer discrete Quad mixes.

I am not familiar with the MH40-box, so I am afraid I can’t comment on that.

wellersacd.jpg

I've just bought several live DVDs, amongst them Mastodon Live at the Aragon...this has a great video extra - the Crack the Skye movie, which has a 5.1 version of the Crack the Skye album as its soundtrack. I bought the CD of the album a while back, which has a 'making of' documentary DVD with it, which introduced me to their world and amply sustained my interest to the end.

Still getting used to what Mastodon do (It's intense) but this 5.1 mix was an expected surprise. 'Only' Dolby Digital 5.1 but it gets their thing across very effectively nevertheless. I can take or leave the movie itself but am happy to have Crack the Skye in 5.1 audio of some kind. Worth checking out....

I've just bought several live DVDs, amongst them Mastodon Live at the Aragon...this has a great video extra - the Crack the Skye movie, which has a 5.1 version of the Crack the Skye album as its soundtrack. I bought the CD of the album a while back, which has a 'making of' documentary DVD with it, which introduced me to their world and amply sustained my interest to the end.

Still getting used to what Mastodon do (It's intense) but this 5.1 mix was an expected surprise. 'Only' Dolby Digital 5.1 but it gets their thing across very effectively nevertheless. I can take or leave the movie itself but am happy to have Crack the Skye in 5.1 audio of some kind. Worth checking out....
Their album “Leviathon” has a special edition including a dvd with a few tracks (not the whole album) in 5.1, can be had on ebay for a reasonable price

Back