Dutton Vocalion November 2022 Quad SACDs - Mac Davis, Ted Nugent, REO Speedwagon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just did a review, love Mac Davis 4.0, but had a question, I actually put the question in my review, but pulled it out as it would end up being off topic city.
Regarding the Mac Davis 2 Disc set.
I do have a question:
These two are Hybrid SACD discs can play CD or SACD player, we all know that. What I don't understand as I have never seen it before, tracks 26 and 27, they are SACD ONLY. I have always assumed you can do anything RBCD and of course millions of times you don't get SACD. So why or how is there two tracks that are only SACD, certainly not complaining, just real curious.

I just did a review, love Mac Davis 4.0, but had a question, I actually put the question in my review, but pulled it out as it would end up being off topic city.
Regarding the Mac Davis 2 Disc set.
I do have a question:
These two are Hybrid SACD discs can play CD or SACD player, we all know that. What I don't understand as I have never seen it before, tracks 26 and 27, they are SACD ONLY. I have always assumed you can do anything RBCD and of course millions of times you don't get SACD. So why or how is there two tracks that are only SACD, certainly not complaining, just real curious.
Probably just down to space available. The SACD layer uses a much higher frequency laser (same as Blu-Ray) to read it and so the discs SACD layer can hold way more information than the RBCD (CD is limited to around 77-78 minutes of stereo).

Probably just down to space available. The SACD layer uses a much higher frequency laser (same as Blu-Ray) to read it and so the discs SACD layer can hold way more information than the RBCD (CD is limited to around 77-78 minutes of stereo).
Thank you, I understand now.
When putting this 5 album, 2 Hybrid SACD disc set together, the two SACD's where maxed out, so rather than have a 3rd SACD disc, DV sacrificed the two songs RBCD.
Amazing that is how close it got, just the information of two RBCD songs, pushed it over.
So, if the 5 albums had been any longer in length, there could have been a 3rd SACD disc, or additional sacrificing?
Fascinating, still learn something every day.

Thank you, I understand now.
When putting this 5 album, 2 Hybrid SACD disc set together, the two SACD's where maxed out, so rather than have a 3rd SACD disc, DV sacrificed the two songs RBCD.
Amazing that is how close it got, just the information of two RBCD songs, pushed it over.
So, if the 5 albums had been any longer in length, there could have been a 3rd SACD disc, or additional sacrificing?
Fascinating, still learn something every day.
A CD is approximately 700MBytes uses a different laser to read the CD layer, below this is the Hybrid disc SACD layer (or if a single layer SACD the only layer) which is around 4.7GBytes, and for a dual layer SACD capacity is about 8.5GBytes. The SACD layer can be divided between multi-channel (up to 6) & stereo 'streams', lossless DST data compression is used on the multi-channel 'stream'. I wonder how close to the maximum capacities the SACD layers on the DV release were?

That's about my only complaint about this release. I mean, I wholly admit it's a first-world problem, but I would rather have had a 5-disc set. Honestly. Would've paid for it, too. 1 disc per album is what I'm programmed for. If they must insist on this disc cramming formula, I wonder if even some album re-shuffling would have helped? I'm sure they must have considered that angle as well. These are professionals. I would have even enjoyed two 2-fer's with a single disc. I appreciate these albums finally seeing the light of day and, if this was the ONLY way to put them out then fine. I'll shut my trap. I'm seriously over the moon about this one. To have ALL FIVE Mac Davis' Quads is an amazing thing in today's day and age.

That's about my only complaint about this release. I mean, I wholly admit it's a first-world problem, but I would rather have had a 5-disc set. Honestly. Would've paid for it, too. 1 disc per album is what I'm programmed for. If they must insist on this disc cramming formula, I wonder if even some album re-shuffling would have helped? I'm sure they must have considered that angle as well. These are professionals. I would have even enjoyed two 2-fer's with a single disc. I appreciate these albums finally seeing the light of day and, if this was the ONLY way to put them out then fine. I'll shut my trap. I'm seriously over the moon about this one. To have ALL FIVE Mac Davis' Quads is an amazing thing in today's day and age.
The Japanese are strict purists in that sense [one album per disc] but when you consider you're literally receiving five superbly remastered QUAD SACDs from the original analogue masters for LESS than the price of ONE MoFi or AP Stereo SACD, the mind boggles!

There's still so much in the Sony Music quad catalog that still remains untapped by the Wiz of Watford. I still look forward to some Andy Williams, Barbra Streisand, Johnny Mathis, and so many more, in all genres. The RCA and Arista catalogs are all part of Sony Music, too, and there's much to be found there. Barry Manilow had three quad albums on Arista. Melissa Manchester had at least two. Come on, MJD, you produce 'em, we'll buy 'em!

It never hurts to do a little research and check the release history of the material in question. As far as I can tell, Paul Simon's first two albums have never been licensed out to a third party. All prior versions are on CBS or WEA.
From what I've read, Simon has No interest in re-issuing any material in Multichannel, as I think most agree.

Great, another total pass on these titles. Not my preference. DV can do better. Where are the Paul Simon Quad mixes?
I agree on REO and Nugent, but Mac Davis is one that I just got today. Listened to it and I think it will get a 10 rating from my ears. You're correct, I think DV can do better. Maybe they can't...who knows.

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I am wondering if anybody else is having problems with the REO Speedwagon SACD.

I am facing the following issue:

I like to rip all my SACD's, so that I can listen to them from HDD. I have an Oppo 105 and have it all set up to rip the ISO files, I have extracted hundreds of SACD's (I am using a tool called "iso2dsd by SONORE". Then, once I have the ISO files, I am using another tool called "SACD extract". In this tool, I can select if I want to extract the 2-ch or the m-ch content (I like to have my SACD's ripped in DSD/DSF files). This always works fine, but for some reason, when extracting the multi-channel files from the ISO file for the REO Speedwagon SACD, it only extracts the first 9 tracks.

Is this a known problem?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Back