Welcome Thread: New Members please introduce yourself here

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(y):cool::p
My music and the hifi equipment is part of our living room, I'm a family guy.
I need a room for all that stuff alone.
Then I can collect more and even upgrade the speaker setup. :SG

But on the other side it is good to be limited. It's good for the nature & the environment & for my money. And the I think that my kids (generation streaming) don't want to inhert tons of medias.

enjoy your friday & I wish all a funky weekend,
Alex
I remember our “hi-fi” being in tne entry of our house when I was a kid. My dad designed and built the power amp, and I’m pretty sure he was involved in the design of the cabinet, which had storage for about 30 or so LPs.

I’m old enough to be selfish (hell, I’ve always been selfish), so I’ve always had a room of my own (so has my wife - I don’t feel I have that exclusive privelige). Even so, my storage is finite, and I have some (junk) good stuff that I’m probablly gonna have to get rid of.

Hello guys!

I'm Klas, from Norway. A Tandberg fan and hobby refurbisher (but most of all; user) of vintage hi-fi.
A game developer/3D modeller by trade, but very much into more tactile and physical technology on my spare time.

My current setup is based around a Tandberg Huldra 10 and a Tandberg TA-300, both with the same amplifier circuit, but the Huldra 10 has a (great) radio part, while the TA-300 is just the amplifier.

Naturally I also run Tandberg speakers with this setup, A pair of TL2510 for the fronts, and a pair of Tandberg Fasett in the rear.

Supplying this glorious collection of Norwegian electronics wrapped in teak and rosewood with sound, is a swiss tank by the name of Lenco L78, fitted with a classic Pickering XV-15 moving iron cartridge.

IMG_20221026_002026.jpg

The most recent image I have of the setup (just the front). We just bought and refurbished the house so things are not set up properly yet.

I have been lurking around these parts for some time after looking into vintage analog quad, but after recently taking the step up from a Lafayette Hafler Circuit/DY box on the Huldra 10 to a Sansui QSD-2 with two amps, I figured I should get more involved in the community here, as I am sure there is a lot of knowledge and expertise around here!

So, I guess that's me!

Best,
Klas

Hello guys!

I'm Klas, from Norway. A Tandberg fan and hobby refurbisher (but most of all; user) of vintage hi-fi.
A game developer/3D modeller by trade, but very much into more tactile and physical technology on my spare time.

My current setup is based around a Tandberg Huldra 10 and a Tandberg TA-300, both with the same amplifier circuit, but the Huldra 10 has a (great) radio part, while the TA-300 is just the amplifier.

Naturally I also run Tandberg speakers with this setup, A pair of TL2510 for the fronts, and a pair of Tandberg Fasett in the rear.

Supplying this glorious collection of Norwegian electronics wrapped in teak and rosewood with sound, is a swiss tank by the name of Lenco L78, fitted with a classic Pickering XV-15 moving iron cartridge.

View attachment 84813
The most recent image I have of the setup (just the front). We just bought and refurbished the house so things are not set up properly yet.

I have been lurking around these parts for some time after looking into vintage analog quad, but after recently taking the step up from a Lafayette Hafler Circuit/DY box on the Huldra 10 to a Sansui QSD-2 with two amps, I figured I should get more involved in the community here, as I am sure there is a lot of knowledge and expertise around here!

So, I guess that's me!

Best,
Klas
Welcome to the snake pit! Your wallet won’t thank you, but it’ll be an adventure, to be sure.

Hello guys!

View attachment 84813

So, I guess that's me!

Best,
Klas
Welcome aboard Kiss - that receiver loooks beautiful - you came to the right place for all Surround. Please ask any and all questions you may have.....QQers are awesome and friendly - thank you for coming from behind the couch and becoming one of us \o/

Hello,

I'm Matt from near Cambridge in the UK. I've been lurking on the forum for a while and been recently collecting some quad and 5.1 discs in the last couple of years.

The 'gateway drug' for me was buying the Gong box set : Love From The Planet Gong (The Virgin Years 1973-75) in 2019 which contained the original Quad mix of 'You' on a DVD disc. Listening on our 5.1 AV system this blew my mind. 'Sprinkling of Clouds' is, to this day, the best quad track I have heard (to date). Before hearing this album I thought that 5.1 mixes were a bit of a novelty.

I came across the forum looking for reviews / recommendations. The Surround polls have been my friend. So a big 'Thank you' to all the contributors and everyone involved.

Since then I have bought Alan Parson (Valid Path); Black Sabbath (Paranoid); Hawkwind (WOTEOT, Space Ritual); Hendrix (Electric Ladyland); Pink Floyd (DSOTM, WYWH, Animals, Reverbernation); Rush (Farewell to Kings, Moving Pictures), Tipper (Surrounded); Van Der Graaf Generator (Charisma box set) and Yes (The Yes Album). Some great buys there, but still none of them top Gong's You!

I'd like to hear more Rush, Floyd, and some of the Peter Gabriel era Genesis.

I've also been upgrading the audio system with some old 2nd hand Linn Keilidh speakers, which sound great to my aging ears. Tinnitus from too many rock concerts and motorbikes in my youth. I was stage manager at Leeds Uni in the mid 80s and we had a couple of gigs a week during term time. That did most of the damage.

Hello,

I'm Matt from near Cambridge in the UK. I've been lurking on the forum for a while and been recently collecting some quad and 5.1 discs in the last couple of years.

The 'gateway drug' for me was buying the Gong box set : Love From The Planet Gong (The Virgin Years 1973-75) in 2019 which contained the original Quad mix of 'You' on a DVD disc. Listening on our 5.1 AV system this blew my mind. 'Sprinkling of Clouds' is, to this day, the best quad track I have heard (to date). Before hearing this album I thought that 5.1 mixes were a bit of a novelty.

I came across the forum looking for reviews / recommendations. The Surround polls have been my friend. So a big 'Thank you' to all the contributors and everyone involved.

Since then I have bought Alan Parson (Valid Path); Black Sabbath (Paranoid); Hawkwind (WOTEOT, Space Ritual); Hendrix (Electric Ladyland); Pink Floyd (DSOTM, WYWH, Animals, Reverbernation); Rush (Farewell to Kings, Moving Pictures), Tipper (Surrounded); Van Der Graaf Generator (Charisma box set) and Yes (The Yes Album). Some great buys there, but still none of them top Gong's You!

I'd like to hear more Rush, Floyd, and some of the Peter Gabriel era Genesis.

I've also been upgrading the audio system with some old 2nd hand Linn Keilidh speakers, which sound great to my aging ears. Tinnitus from too many rock concerts and motorbikes in my youth. I was stage manager at Leeds Uni in the mid 80s and we had a couple of gigs a week during term time. That did most of the damage.
I understand the frustration with tinnitus, so dynamic range isn’t one of my main requirements in the recordings I buy. Not sure who I can blame it on.

Anyway, welcome to one of the most expensive and rewarding hobbies this side of collecting Ferraris.

Hello everyone. I’ve been wanting to get into quad pretty much all my life, and recently took that step. I picked up a Sansui QRX-6500, which play SQ and QS… and I am LOVING it so far.
I would eventually like to add CD-4 capability, because I just have to hear The Doors and Black Sabbath in quad! But I’m seeing there’s a little more involved there… I have my research cut out for me. Lol.
Anyway, thanks for having me!
I’m sure I will have some CD-4 questions at some point, but for now I’m enjoying the SQ and QS… I’m pretty much picking up every quadraphonic album I can find locally, and have already placed a few orders for more.
Happy to have found this forum!!

Hello everyone. I’ve been wanting to get into quad pretty much all my life, and recently took that step. I picked up a Sansui QRX-6500, which play SQ and QS… and I am LOVING it so far.
I would eventually like to add CD-4 capability, because I just have to hear The Doors and Black Sabbath in quad! But I’m seeing there’s a little more involved there… I have my research cut out for me. Lol.
Anyway, thanks for having me!
I’m sure I will have some CD-4 questions at some point, but for now I’m enjoying the SQ and QS… I’m pretty much picking up every quadraphonic album I can find locally, and have already placed a few orders for more.
Happy to have found this forum!!
Hi, Ted, and hang on to your wallet! Or not.

Hi everyone,

Extremely pleased to have found this forum! I have been building my surround sound equipment and music collection for the last 2-3 years and finally managed to secure all the Jethro Tull boxsets, King Crimson and Yes 5.1 remixes, Moody Blues and Genesis (apart from the very elusive "Lamb lies down..." which is nearly impossible to get unless you buy the whole Genesis collection!)

This site is going to give me the chance to really get to know what other albums I should be getting my hands on....(Queen, Bowie, Stones, prog, etc) - so pleased to be a member!

IMG_1642.jpeg

IMG_0881.jpeg
IMG_0873.jpeg

Hi everyone,

Extremely pleased to have found this forum! I have been building my surround sound equipment and music collection for the last 2-3 years and finally managed to secure all the Jethro Tull boxsets, King Crimson and Yes 5.1 remixes, Moody Blues and Genesis (apart from the very elusive "Lamb lies down..." which is nearly impossible to get unless you buy the whole Genesis collection!)

This site is going to give me the chance to really get to know what other albums I should be getting my hands on....(Queen, Bowie, Stones, prog, etc) - so pleased to be a member!

View attachment 85134

View attachment 85132View attachment 85133
Welcome aboard! All of us have been clinically labeled as surround sound addicts and I think we have a cult somewhere too. You'll find a lot of info and knowledgeable people here!

Hi, just having joined I am wondering how Polls are initiated, for example I would like to see a poll for the King Crimson On (and Off) The Road box as I have just purchased this and am working my way thorough the many discs and formats.

I first heard and saw King Crimson at the Stones in Hyde Park concert in July 1969. In March 1973 I saw and heard them at the Rainbow Theatre in London, when a heckler in the audience complained about the excessive volume of the sound ( it was excessively loud), RF told us we should understand that it was all about Dynamic range, which it certainly was. Then I was lucky enough to see perhaps the first performance of the new KC, as they re-emerged from being just Discipline, at the tiny Moles Club in Bath in October 1981, we were so close to the band (probably less than 6 feet with almost no stage) we could hear RF say to AB that we (the audience) were just crazy, which I think we were, being so excited by the new sounds and energy of the band. In contrast, I heard Fripp performing his SoundScrapes at Salisbury Cathedral in June 1997 as part of the Salisbury Festival – Art of the Unexpected, this performance was truly sublime. The last two occasions I got to see KC in person were at the Beacon Theatre in NYC in Dec 2001 and Nov 2003, so I am also looking forward to seeing and hearing the Blu-ray box of KC at 50 movie and performances from the last two years which may be their last.

Over the years I have attended may live gigs and concerts (see https://www.concertarchives.org/brianlr/concerts ) and accumulated a lot of concert DVD's, and Blu-rays of which many include 5.1 surround sound.

Last edited:
Hello all, I'm mainly interested in performance possibilities of electronic music in smallish spaces using a quad setup. I currently use synth hardware without a eurorack setup or computer so a small digital mixer with 4 outs, midi cc control, and spatial panning would be perfect but doesn't seem to exist? Mcmillan Kmix seems a possible candidate? Or maybe I've overlooked something else? Or maybe routing in and out of a computer (though not ideal) would be best?

Looking forward to learning more about quad in general

all the best!

D

Hello! I am Jasmine, and I by "Dynamic Editor" across a bunch of platforms! I like my 5.1 surround sound system as well as trying to undo the dynamic range compression (and resulting artifacts) from mastering, as well as sometimes look at surround sound mixes to see if there are any errors in how they were released!

Back