Question about using "Autorip" on USB stick with Sony blu-ray player (S590)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

impetigo

Sorry if this is the wrong forum...

I opted for what I felt was the simplest SACD ripping method: using "autorip" script on a USB drive connected to a compatible blu-ray player (I'm using a Sony BDP-S590). It works great, but I bought a 124GB USB drive and want to try fill that up with SACD ISOs before transferring to my Mac all together for converting to FLAC.

With Autorip, when it's done ripping the tray automatically ejects. If I swap the SACD with another SACD will it rip the newly inserted disc (when the tray automatically closes) so that I could continue the process until the drive is full? I'm trying it right now but wondering if this is possible with this method in case it doesn't work.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum...

I opted for what I felt was the simplest SACD ripping method: using "autorip" script on a USB drive connected to a compatible blu-ray player (I'm using a Sony BDP-S590). It works great, but I bought a 124GB USB drive and want to try fill that up with SACD ISOs before transferring to my Mac all together for converting to FLAC.

With Autorip, when it's done ripping the tray automatically ejects. If I swap the SACD with another SACD will it rip the newly inserted disc (when the tray automatically closes) so that I could continue the process until the drive is full? I'm trying it right now but wondering if this is possible with this method in case it doesn't work.
I can't answer your question but there's something you should be aware of if ripping directly to usb. You may run into problems if the sacd is more than 4GB. For example I was ripping Carpenters - The Singles and the final track was getting truncated. It was because of this 4GB file size limitation. Be aware!

I can't answer your question but there's something you should be aware of if ripping directly to usb. You may run into problems if the sacd is more than 4GB. For example I was ripping Carpenters - The Singles and the final track was getting truncated. It was because of this 4GB file size limitation. Be aware!
Does the usb have to be formatted FAT32? That's the one with 4gb limit. NTSF doesn't have that limit.
I still haven't ripped SACD but want to use the direct to usb method.

I have a BDP-S6200 that uses Autorip. The files are sent on the network, not a USB drive in my case. If you close the tray, it starts the Blu-ray player normally, so you have to remove and reinsert the USB drive to start a new ripping sequence.

Does the usb have to be formatted FAT32? That's the one with 4gb limit. NTSF doesn't have that limit.
You are indeed correct. Files > 4GB will work if the drive is formatted as NTFS. I had to recheck the thread where I posted this problem back in Nov 2021 and here was the conclusion:

"Well the winner is Marplot with his suggestion of a 4GB limitation. I initially tried a different USB but it had the same problem, so reformatted the original as NTFS (which the Sony seems to support) and it worked. Took 90 minutes instead of the usual 25 minutes to rip however. I think I'll stick to using a network rip for longer playing time SACDs. Thanks all for your help, and may GOS's hot and flaky dreams come true."

Best of luck with your ripping! BTW my player model was Sony BDP-S390.

Thanks for the heads up, that would really suck, especially if unaware until a later date. Seems most of my SACD are smaller than 4GB but that cutoff is a bit tight as I think most of my discs are 3GB+. No alternative for using Autorip with 4GB+ size discs?

I think it does need Fat32 because when I tried ExFat the drive couldn't be recognized by my Mac. If I didn't need my Mac I would try NTSF although not sure if that works either.

I have a BDP-S6200 that uses Autorip. The files are sent on the network, not a USB drive in my case. If you close the tray, it starts the Blu-ray player normally, so you have to remove and reinsert the USB drive to start a new ripping sequence.

Thanks, although when I tested it out it seems my player at least works like this: SACD rip completes > tray ejects and player powers off > remove SACD and power on player > tray goes in and a few seconds (~10s) tray ejects again > insert new SACD > rinse/repeat. So this part has been not bad for me so far.

You are indeed correct. Files > 4GB will work if the drive is formatted as NTFS. I had to recheck the thread where I posted this problem back in Nov 2021 and here was the conclusion:

"Well the winner is Marplot with his suggestion of a 4GB limitation. I initially tried a different USB but it had the same problem, so reformatted the original as NTFS (which the Sony seems to support) and it worked. Took 90 minutes instead of the usual 25 minutes to rip however. I think I'll stick to using a network rip for longer playing time SACDs. Thanks all for your help, and may GOS's hot and flaky dreams come true."

Best of luck with your ripping! BTW my player model was Sony BDP-S390.

Thanks! I would use my PC and NTFS if I didn't need Sonore's ISO2DSD and DSD2FLAC (one of those is Mac only unfortunately). It is concerning since Fat32 is not a journaled file system so more potential for errors if incorrectly removed, but I don't have any other options for now as I'm pretty much set on using my Mac for SACD converting (to FLAC) because of ease of use.

Ugh, just checked my USB drive (which I filled up with 30 rips before checking on my Mac) and 5 of them are over 4GB. Also found that there's no way to know if the USB drive is full as it keeps spinning the discs even though the ISO are 0 bytes in size.

Any suggestions on what to do with the >4GB rips? I use my Mac to convert ISO to DSD to FLAC so I guess I will need to use a PC instead?

Last edited:
Any suggestions on what to do with the >4GB rips? I use my Mac to convert ISO to DSD to FLAC so I guess I will need to use a PC instead?
Or you can graduate from AutoRip to a more sophisticated ripping procedure such as ISO2DSD or SACD_extract.GUI.

Is ISO2DSD different than the Sonore one? I already use that to convert the ISOs to DSD (and then to FLAC using DSD2FLAC). I initially tried to use, I believe, SACCD extract GUI but couldn't get it to work, but yeah, I'll probably have to try that again. Darn.

Back