Autorip can't rip certain SACDs... anyone else experience this?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

impetigo

I've started my SACD ripping project now, not too bad as I only have about 100 discs, but after about 25 SACD so far I've come across two SACD so far that cannot be ripped by the Autorip method (auto ripping SACD onto USB stick using "autorip" script on the stick and a compatible blu-ray player, in my case, a Sony BDP-S590): Beyonce's Dangerously In Love and Blue Oyster Cult's Soldiers of Fortune.

For these, no matter what I do the disc ejects shortly after putting it in during the usual sequence of steps. I gave up and ripped about 10 other SACD and went and tried those two again and they failed again. Anyone come across this problem and if so, were you able to find a solution?

I take it that your Sony BDP-S590 player is actually able to access and play these problem SACD's DSD layer without any issues?
I haven't actually hooked it up to my receiver or TV so actually test that, but I would have to assume that it could since it is used to rip SACDs. So far I've ripped over 30 SACDs without any issues, just these two haven't worked. They get ejected after 5-7 seconds in the player.

Never assume anything... The disc's might be damaged. If you haven't done-so already give them a bloody good clean!

Sadly, if the SACD's have delaminated. It's game over :(

Oh no, I don't want to believe that's a thing... especially this Beyonce SACD that is one my most expensive to purchase. I'll have to give it a spin in my Oppo today, thanks for the suggestion!

I'm well known (at work) for bringing good news ;)

Just tried Beyonce (Dangerously In Love) and Blue Oyster Cult (Agents Of Fortune) and luckily they both play fine on my Oppo in 5.1 (I think this may be the first or second time I've ever listened to it... actually not a bad mix at all)... phew. :)

I could not rip my BOC disc. Not sure why.

Hope someone has ripped it successfully and can share the way it was done.

I could not rip my BOC disc. Not sure why.
Yikes! This was missing from my FLAC hard drives so it got me wondering. Went to another PC where I kept the 2020 SACD ISO files. Sure enough, Agents of Fortune was there waiting for me. Must've missed it on the first go round. So I pointed Foobar at that machine and it's now making my FLACs. Time for a full SACD files verification! :)

Yikes! This was missing from my FLAC hard drives so it got me wondering. Went to another PC where I kept the 2020 SACD ISO files. Sure enough, Agents of Fortune was there waiting for me. Must've missed it on the first go round. So I pointed Foobar at that machine and it's now making my FLACs. Time for a full SACD files verification! :)

Do you remember what method/app you used to rip AOF?

I've been able to rip all ~100 of my SACDs with my Sony BDP S5100, no issues.

I had *one* MFSL Hybrid SACD (Pat Martino's East!) where the SACD layer ripped fine, but the regular Redbook CD layer was unreadable.

In my experience SACDs are more durable than actual CDs.

I've been able to rip all ~100 of my SACDs with my Sony BDP S5100, no issues.

I had *one* MFSL Hybrid SACD (Pat Martino's East!) where the SACD layer ripped fine, but the regular Redbook CD layer was unreadable.

In my experience SACDs are more durable than actual CDs.

Thanks, that's good to know. Aside from those two albums (Beyonce and BOC) not ripping and the 4GB max problems (because I'm using Autorip with a Fat32 USB stick) I've encountered with about 10% of the SACDs I've ripped, it's mostly gone well with my BDP-S590. Only other issue is Gloria Estefan's Greatest Hits album yielded an ISO that ISO2DSD could not detect a multichannel track in, so will have to try to figure that out.

Thanks, that's good to know. Aside from those two albums (Beyonce and BOC) not ripping and the 4GB max problems (because I'm using Autorip with a Fat32 USB stick) I've encountered with about 10% of the SACDs I've ripped, it's mostly gone well with my BDP-S590. Only other issue is Gloria Estefan's Greatest Hits album yielded an ISO that ISO2DSD could not detect a multichannel track in, so will have to try to figure that out.

There are two different SACDs of Gloria Estefan's Greatest Hits, one is stereo only, one is multichannel. Maybe you have the stereo one?

There are two different SACDs of Gloria Estefan's Greatest Hits, one is stereo only, one is multichannel. Maybe you have the stereo one?

Yep, mine is definitely 5.1 per disc, case and playback. On "conga" there are these insufferable (conga?) drums in the surround speakers that ruin it. Not sure what's going on but will have to recheck it.

I read that ripping a lot of discs puts wear on the player so I got the S590, which was only $30 on ebay, as I don't want unnecessary wear on my precious Oppos.
IMHO, it puts no more wear on the drive than playing. I've ripped >1000 SACDs on my 103 and 105 and they are both still going strong. Besides, I have no need to "save" them because all I do with them is rip. I play only from the files.

I read that ripping a lot of discs puts wear on the player so I got the S590, which was only $30 on ebay, as I don't want unnecessary wear on my precious Oppos.
If you rip it once, or play it twice, what do you think puts more "wear" on the player.

Back