Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think @ubertrout or @humprof can offer a more informed opinion, but I believe the original Sony SACD is compromised - the multichannel mix uses the front channels of the old quad mix, so it's missing instruments including the organ. Remedying it was the reason that Mike wanted to do this one, because generally speaking he avoids redoing albums that have already had a hirez digital reissue.
the MultiCh on the old Sony SACD is a total load of balls comprising bits of the Quad mix in the Front channels and ambience thereof in the Rears and is indeed missing elements from the Quad. avoid avoid avoid! 👍

Late to the party with these releases: newly acquired off of ebay Queen Greatest Video Hits 2. I'm still waiting for GVH1 from a different ebay seller, cheap as chips these are, I don't know what's stopped me from obtaining them up to now, it's really good.
20221203_154650.jpg

Getting more depressed by the day, as I think about Christine and the Mac's lineup that was for sure the classic lineup of my youth and till now.
Man, i mos' def' feel u! Rumours came out the year i learned to drive, and it was on serious FM rotation as i cruised around town! Having lost some important people in my own life recently (and others on the ropes), i try and believe they are still with me, that i carry them in my heart. Scored this one in Japan!
1670087777016.png
フリートウッド・マック
9.09 on our poll
thread

I keep wondering whether I should try and get the LP, did he have 2 Quad album releases?
Not that I'm aware of, per Mark Anderson's database-

DAVID BEDFORD -
Instructions For Angels. Virgin records V 2090. (MH) [UK]

So far only an QS SMv2 decode, will be trying some @MidiMagic layout for BBC MATRIX H decoding (post QS & SQ remix) and just for kicks a software UHJ decode for comparison. It's not super surroundy, more of a live Ambisonic sound with some parts better than others. I actually believe I read that most of it was recorded Live in a Church.

It also has Mike Oldfield playing guitar on the title track.

And take a close look at this rare Sansui Dunc. :)

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/bbc-matrix-h.3268/page-3#post-478730

Not that I'm aware of, per Mark Anderson's database-

DAVID BEDFORD -
Instructions For Angels. Virgin records V 2090. (MH) [UK]

So far only an QS SMv2 decode, will be trying some @MidiMagic layout for BBC MATRIX H decoding (post QS & SQ remix) and just for kicks a software UHJ decode for comparison. It's not super surroundy, more of a live Ambisonic sound with some parts better than others. I actually believe I read that most of it was recorded Live in a Church.

It also has Mike Oldfield playing guitar on the title track.

And take a close look at this rare Sansui Dunc. :)

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/bbc-matrix-h.3268/page-3#post-478730
There are two tracks in SQ on the Collaborations LP in Mike Oldfields Boxed, "The Phaeacian Games" & "Extract From Star's End" which are written by David Bedford, which is why I wondered about a 2nd Quad album. There is also "First Excursion" which is a Bedford/Oldfield composition.

What AVR ya running there Boonie?
Jpup, I just received an "open box" Onkyo TX-RZ50. 9 channels of amplification but processing for 22! :unsure: (JUST KIDDING!).
No, it's a considered a 9.2, but with pre-outs and processing for all plus an additional two channels. I'm "pre-outing" the back/side surrounds to my old venerable Sherwood analog input AVR for a total of 7.1.4.

Since all processing is done within the unit as compared to my previous "frankenstein" system that relied on ASIO4ALL and the Dolby Reference Player, I can finally now bitstream from my much loved PowerDVD in 7.1.4.

So my four overhead speakers are positioned as Top Middle and Top Rear in this crazy pc/audio/bed room jam packed with furniture and pc/audio gear.

Sounds good! I have only used the Audyssey speaker setup thus far, will need to grab a different mic for the Dirac speaker setup should I decide to do so. But I'm impressed the low end is crisp and clear, as are the vocals compared to my former gear. Even with the Audyssey setup I can hear a big difference. My first test listen after setup was the Atmos "xPropaganda" and then Booka Shade's "Dear Future Self". All I've had time for so far, as the house is down to quiet mode for the night.

I've discovered that, no doubt encouraged by my frittering away such capitol, that I will soon be purchasing also a complementary washer and dryer for my dear wife! lol.

Back