HiRez Poll Various Artists - INSIDE THE MUSIC: CLASSIC COUNTRY [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Various Artists - INSIDE THE MUSIC: CLASSIC COUNTRY

• 10: Great Fidelity, Great Surround, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Surround, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this DVD-Audio disc of various artists. (y):phones(n)

TRACK LISTING

1. Mama Tried--Merle Haggard & The Strangers
2. She Thinks I Still Care--George Jones
3. Slippin' Away--Jean Shepard
4. Bright Lights, Big City--Sonny James
5. Crazy--Willie Nelson
6. Girl On The Billboard--Del Reeves
7. Blanket On The Ground--Billie Jo Spears
8. Hello Walls--Faron Young
9. I'm Not Lisa--Jessi Colter
10. Why Have You Left The One You Left Me For?--Crystal Gayle
11. Movin' On--Merle Haggard

I did! ;)

Thanks Ed! :smokin

So you did!(though I meant, ahem, 'privately,' just to see which of us regulars had a copy...):smokin

Another one I'll have to pull out tonite and give another listen, as these never got into the regular MC rotation Up North....

ED :)

Got an early start on listening to these, and so, some thoughts:

First, if you're a country fan, you haven't had much 5.1 in your life, obviously...:D Not a genre where you think 'audiophile' or multichannel, though there are certainly some fans out there with hi-end equipment. So this, at the time, was most welcome, and a hope for more in the future(which never happened outside of more recent fare from Vince Gill, Alison Krauss, a few others).

Second, I like the artists chosen, though I might have picked different hits. Merle Haggard is represented by "Mama Tried" and "Movin' On"(which bookend the collection), although the live "Okie From Muskogee" and "Someday We'll Look Back" might have worked better in surround. Neither that was chosen offers much to expand on the stereo versions. This is a pattern, BTW, for most of the tracks, which come across as expanded stereo versions with some tweaking(the Faron Young and Del Reeves cuts in particular).

Third...there are a few tracks where the separation is distinct enough to grab your attention. The backing vocals on "Bright Lights, Big City" are pushed to the back(and used sparingly, making them all the more apparent when they chime in), while the Crystal Gayle C&W hit--unlike many of her 1978-81 singles, this one somehow didn't crossver to pop radio--is the best of the bunch. Not only a good record(and not as tired sounding or obvious as "Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue," her first big mainstream hit), but the instrumentation and mix allows for some good isolation all around.

Which is what more of a collection like this needed, I suppose...more recent material from which strong 5.1 mixes could have been assembled. The vintage tracks are nice to hear, but don't offer enough to justify being in 5.1 here.

Like many DVD-A/SACD titles, these are essentially OOP. But if you troll around the various CD/DVD websites, some sealed copies should turn up, these are not yet in the 'collectibles' category.

Got this title a week or two ago direct from 5.1 Entertainment. Absolutely superb.

Whether or not you like the mixes (and I do like them) the sound quality is wonderful. I've now got all eight Inside The Music discs and wouldn't want to be without any of them.

Got this title a week or two ago direct from 5.1 Entertainment. Absolutely superb.

Whether or not you like the mixes (and I do like them) the sound quality is wonderful. I've now got all eight Inside The Music discs and wouldn't want to be without any of them.

Oxenholme:

Could you include the link for where you ordered this disc please.

Justin

Which means it's a good idea to buy NOW, folks! These ain't gonna be around forever, and are worthwhile purchases despite certain problems(which do not outweigh what's positive).

An “8” from me. A surprisingly nice collection. Yeah, there isn’t too much they could do surround-wise with the older tracks, but I guess they were just trying to show off what they COULD do? It’s certainly the best those tracks have ever sounded.

A very short disc with only 11 tracks, most of which are well under 3 minutes. But a nice selection. As with all of these “Inside the Music” discs, one starts to wonder why these songs were chosen over other more obvious hits or what might be better in surround, but what is here is quite enjoyable

Back