Sept 4, 2020 - Official release date for Doobie Brothers Quadio at $59.98 List

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the tapeheads.net (sadly gone) forum, it was mentioned that playback of analog magnetic tape recordings need about a 2dB maximum smooth treble boost to restore their fidelity and to make Dolby A NR tracking work properly, I'm fine with that since it's a restoration technique which doesn't cross over to enhancement.

On the harshness issue, maybe the Captain and Me quad mix was near the audible harshness tipping point (they wouldn't know about such things ~50 years ago) and boosting the treble for the BR mix pushed it over the tipping point into audibility.

I've read some about LP mastering, basically trying to fix the mix w/EQ and other signal processing between the master tape playback and the LP mastering system (CD-4 mastering put an end to that, listening to the sum/baseband signal only at 1/2 speed made it impossible to fiddle with the quad mix).

(it seems simpler to make the master tape sound exactly the way the artists/producers want and then try to transfer that fidelity to an LP unaltered)

Kirk Bayne

That could be step 1 (flatten the frequency response), step 2 could be adjust the EQ the way you like it, it would affect all the audio the same way.

If you do this, it could be helpful to share the EQ(s) to get flat response from a variety of recorded media here in QQ.

Kirk Bayne
That would be ideal but how to you determine what is flat? The audio could have been manipulated in so many ways. For playback I prefer simple shelving type bass and treble controls. My homebuilt unit has selectable turnover frequencies as well. Use of a multiband equaliser might be OK to flatten room response if you are set up to calibrate it properly. For tweaking a recording I think that you could do far more harm than good! In software there are so many options, so many ways to go horribly wrong!

I'm horrified by the pre-set equalisation settings on the deck in my truck. There is no rhyme or reason to the pre-set settings, often alternate frequency bands boosted and cut! I'm reminded of my friend and his graphic equaliser which he tweaks by ear for almost every recording, often with wildly differing settings from channel to channel!

If I ever determine optimal equalisation settings I will be sure to share them. I would favour simple bass and treble cut or boost, something that won't muck up the sound too much!

I already have the Quadio set, I paid £64.99+£9 P&P direct from Rhino! The link did work (I typed with a British accent o_O I've lost my Scottish one) and showed £35.43! Quadio Box: Amazon.co.uk: CDs & Vinyl

Great SCOT[T], Dunc, YOUR link takes me to AmazonUS where the Doobies Quadio boxset is priced at $77US. As a Yank who watches BBC's THE CROWN religiously, I protest the UK link doesn't work ... for me!

BTW, I also purchased the Doobies Quadio boxset from Rhino direct for $64 delivered...and STILL available via their website albeit for $60

https://store.rhino.com/the-doobie-brothers-quadio-boxed-set.html

Last edited:
That link takes you to a for sale listing but that is the early 2000's 5.1 remix. Not the "Quadio" set that we are talking about here.

"The Doobie Brothers-The Captain And Me Dvd-Audio $30"

Looking back at the poll comments people seemed to really like it. For myself give me the original quads anyday! Most of those 5.1 remixes did not impress me.

Back