My new Surround Master V3

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Surround Master does not have low pass/high pass as might be found in mainstream AVR's for speaker management. It's simpler than that. The left & right input is simply summed & sent to a low pass filter & output for the subwoof. If you don't use the SM subwoof output it the level control has no effect on either the main chs or subwoofer output.
Thanks. Makes sense. As I have not heard any bass dropoff in using only 4.0 and not using the subwoofer channel!

Thanks. Makes sense. As I have not heard any bass dropoff in using only 4.0 and not using the subwoofer channel!
Got a question for ya Steve. As you explore the fun of your Surround Master, have you tried the Two Speaker Surround mode yet? I'd be most interested in hearing your opinion as well as others that have tried it.

Got a question for ya Steve. As you explore the fun of your Surround Master, have you tried the Two Speaker Surround mode yet? I'd be most interested in hearing your opinion as well as others that have tried it.
I haven't tried it - as I have no need to with my family room system. But at some point the next few days I'll see if I can give it a whirr!

Question - has anyone tried a linear 9v DC power supply instead of the supplied power cord with the Surround Master v3? If so your thoughts?
I use a linear DC power supply with my Surround Master v1. Sound is much improved: clearer, firmer bass and midrange. DC Power Supply "unveils" the sound.

Yes Sonik is correct if the front knob is in 4.0 mode then there is zero signal going to the 0.1. Its actually a hell of a hard job to separate the center for 4.1 mode and mathematically impossible actually!

I use a linear DC power supply with my Surround Master v1. Sound is much improved: clearer, firmer bass and midrange. DC Power Supply "unveils" the sound.
Really you need to do a time synchronized instant A/ B test with 2 S/M's on the same material before you come to a conclusion. The power supply swap will do precisely zero to the sound (in my humble and skeptical view). We conduct all our tests this way.

Yes Sonik is correct if the front knob is in 4.0 mode then there is zero signal going to the 0.1. Its actually a hell of a hard job to separate the center for 4.1 mode and mathematically impossible actually!
I just got my new Surround Master v3 a week or so ago and the front knob does not have a 4.0 - only a 4.1.

I assume what Sonic Wiz says is correct: "The Surround Master does not have low pass/high pass as might be found in mainstream AVR's for speaker management. It's simpler than that. The left & right input is simply summed & sent to a low pass filter & output for the subwoof. If you don't use the SM subwoof output it the level control has no effect on either the main chs or subwoofer output."

And my ears do not hear any bass dropoff set to 4.1. I can instantaneously switch w my Coleman switcher to compare.

Attachments

• knob.jpg
    knob.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 0
I just got my new Surround Master v3 a week or so ago and the front knob does not have a 4.0 - only a 4.1.

I assume what Sonic Wiz says is correct: "The Surround Master does not have low pass/high pass as might be found in mainstream AVR's for speaker management. It's simpler than that. The left & right input is simply summed & sent to a low pass filter & output for the subwoof. If you don't use the SM subwoof output it the level control has no effect on either the main chs or subwoofer output."

And my ears do not hear any bass dropoff set to 4.1. I can instantaneously switch w my Coleman switcher to compare.
Err, Ooops Xmas shutdown brain fart!

I was mentally thinking about the wretched center channel- really hard stuff and a beast to separate from the L/R.

Ah the 0.1 stuff. Yes it is available constantly but it is band limited to around 100 Hz from memory (can check later if asked ) The L/R front rears are full bandwidth.

Err, Ooops Xmas shutdown brain fart!

I was mentally thinking about the wretched center channel- really hard stuff and a beast to separate from the L/R.

Ah the 0.1 stuff. Yes it is available constantly but it is band limited to around 100 Hz from memory (can check later if asked ) The L/R front rears are full bandwidth.

The manual states subwoofer is to 120 Hz. You were close! What's most important is that the front and surround left and right are all full range. I'm using REL subwoofers with high level connection so I am not concerned with having low level LFE/subwoofer connection - particularly as this system is most significantly for music!

I look forward to receiving my new Surround Master v3. I was one of the four or five of use who bought a scratch and dent unit a few weeks ago. My SM v3 has been in US Customs in Chicago since December 17, now 10 days ago. I understand this is the holiday season and they may be swamped right now. Should I be concerned? Have any of you had a similar experience with US Customs from overseas orders?

I look forward to receiving my new Surround Master v3. I was one of the four or five of use who bought a scratch and dent unit a few weeks ago. My SM v3 has been in US Customs in Chicago since December 17, now 10 days ago. I understand this is the holiday season and they may be swamped right now. Should I be concerned? Have any of you had a similar experience with US Customs from overseas orders?
It's been a few years but I remeber the delivery of my SM v2 to be uneventful. However I have shipped things from the US to Canada & the Customs in Chicago has held those for at least 10 days. Then after that it zipped through.

Probably not what you want to hear, but I received my scratch and dent unit on the 19th. It went thru L.A. customs in a day or two.
It's gonna be a few weeks before I get to play with it though.

Should be no problem. I didn't have to pay any duty on mine. It's most likely the holiday rush that's delaying things. Be patient; it'll be worth it.

I look forward to receiving my new Surround Master v3. I was one of the four or five of use who bought a scratch and dent unit a few weeks ago. My SM v3 has been in US Customs in Chicago since December 17, now 10 days ago. I understand this is the holiday season and they may be swamped right now. Should I be concerned? Have any of you had a similar experience with US Customs from overseas orders?S
Thanks swam36fc for bring this up . I'm one of those who purchased a scratch & dent unit.. & yes, just like you, I received a notice that mine arrived in Chicago, on12-17-22....
I'm not really all that worried but also beginning to wonder just what's happening???
Does anyone know who, what carrier I mean, Australia Post passes these packages off to once they are in the USA?

Last edited:
Wow, I'm not alone -excellent. I can tell you for sure that they'll hand off to USPS. It actually is already showing up on my USPS Informed Delivery account as "Inbound into Customs' Dec 17 5:28 pm, Processed Through Facility ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS)

Wow, I'm not alone -excellent. I can tell you for sure that they'll hand off to USPS. It actually is already showing up on my USPS Informed Delivery account as "Inbound into Customs' Dec 17 5:28 pm, Processed Through Facility ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS)
Thanks for the heads up swam36fc. I'll keep an eye out then for something delivered by mailman.
I just went again to the tracking link from Australia post, no new info. Still stuck in Chicago..
Well, at least it's not alone, your unit is nearby 😊.

That's interesting; I didn't have to sign for either of mine.
Dunno if the signature was a shipper requirement or a customs thing, I was a bit groggy at the time.
The post-lady pounded at the door, sent the dogs into a howling frenzy, startled me from a well-deserved afternoon nap, and then a limping scramble to the door and a quick scribble of my name....but I was grateful for the delivery.

Back