DVD/DTS Poll Muse - The Resistance [DTS/DD DVD+CD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Audio-DVD of Muse - THE RESISTANCE

• Total voters
Krausberry: Nálada which I'm trying to sell/trade :yikes . Too bad that good artistic efforts are totally ruined by the mastering engineer (n) .

Krausberry: Nálada which I'm trying to sell/trade :yikes . Too bad that good artistic efforts are totally ruined by the mastering engineer (n) .

Oh my! I have had that on my sa-cd.net wishlist for the longest time! How much would you sell it for? What's the surround mix like?

I paid EUR 20.5 (incl. shipping) for it. It's in like new condition. Regarding the surround mix I need to do another listen and I'll report it back to you. Btw, it was/is on my SACD library to sell/trade that was posted in the OP here https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...e-or-unordinary-DVD-SACD-albums-to-sale-trade.

I didn't see it in your sa-cd.net link, silly me! :eek:

Great, thanks! and if you wish to sell your Krausberry for somewhere around that price please do consider me, I would love to buy it from you.

OK, I'll PM you. However, we have contaminated this poll. Moderators, please delete our offtopic posts.

Just a thought.. if the rears and LFE aren't as loud as the Front 3 channels, has anybody here tried lowering the levels of Front L&R and Centre and seeing how that works out?

Hey Fred. Do you know this can be done with Audacity so one could create a new disc? Mike(Lizardking) can do this, I have tried but can't, I have problems altering individual channels then saving them as MC files. Unfortunately there's literally dozens of discs I would like to alter, sometimes the mixing, mastering choices are baffling.

Hey Fred. Do you know this can be done with Audacity so one could create a new disc? Mike(Lizardking) can do this, I have tried but can't, I have problems altering individual channels then saving them as MC files. Unfortunately there's literally dozens of discs I would like to alter, sometimes the mixing, mastering choices are baffling.

I've tinkered around with Audacity a bit over the years but not for a while (and only one time for surround, when I had a go at making some surround mixes out of various stems I found online & some multi tracks over at Jammit.. all without success, I might add!)

..if I were to try out adjusting the levels on this one I would just raise the individual channel levels for the rears and lower the levels for the fronts and centre in my receiver.. hardly the best solution but it is better than nothing!

I'm really not the QQ-er to ask, I like my physical discs, always have done.. but I grow less and less interested in files, downloads and the PC in general as time goes by.. that plus my new Mac Mini is a temperamental hassle at the best of times, I can't be arsed with it!

This is about as rare as discs get... I've seen a few of the box sets for sale on Discogs for pretty exhorbitant prices - especially when all you want is the DVD and not all the swag.

I have a ripped and converted DTS 5.1 wav file of this mix (all I could find). So I haven't voted on the sound quality yet. All in all, it's not a bad mix considering the source material. It is definitely loud. If I had to rate my wav file, I'd give it a 7.

Out of all their great material, this would've been my last choice for a 5.1 mix. Absolution, Black Holes & Revelations, or The 2nd Law would've been truly excellent choices for a surroud mix. I think The 2nd Law would be incredible due to their heavy use of synthesized sounds on the album. The Resistance is just a lackluster release in their catalogue (another reason for not wanting to pay alot for it).

If anyone has a line on a physical disc for sale that won't require a second mortgage, let me know :)

Listening to a rip of the DTS-CD today... Nice discrete stuff going on in the surrounds.
I noticed on the first track, Uprising, that the guitar pan around the room around the 3:15 mark didn't sound quite right, so I opened the track in Audacity and it looked like this:
Capture.JPG

Ha ha! So I then opened the track in Foobar and converted to .wav files and got this (I removed the LFE channel so the pic would fit)
Capture.JPG

Then I exchanged the right front channel with the center channel and got this:
Capture.JPG

Now, not only does it look right, but the counter-clockwise panning of the guitar at the 3:15 mark sounds perfect now. I pulled up the next song, Resistance, and found a similar issue with the right front and center channels. Has anyone else noticed this? Can we get a sjcorne analysis please, lol?

Here's the song Resistance without switching the right front and center channels (with the LFE removed for pic purposes):
Capture.JPG

Listening to a rip of the DTS-CD today... Nice discrete stuff going on in the surrounds.
I noticed on the first track, Uprising, that the guitar pan around the room around the 3:15 mark didn't sound quite right...

Can we get a sjcorne analysis please, lol?

I checked my rip and it has the correct layout (i.e. yours post-swap). The original disc was a DVD with 48k DTS & DD streams, so I'm inclined to think this was a mistake made by whoever created the DTS-CD from it.

I hadn't listened to this one in a while - fun surround mix, but the sound quality isn't particularly pleasing to my ears.

I checked my rip and it has the correct layout (i.e. yours post-swap). The original disc was a DVD with 48k DTS & DD streams, so I'm inclined to think this was a mistake made by whoever created the DTS-CD from it.

I hadn't listened to this one in a while - fun surround mix, but the sound quality isn't particularly pleasing to my ears.
That makes sense... thanks!

Oh my! I have had that on my sa-cd.net wishlist for the longest time! How much would you sell it for? What's the surround mix like?

The Krausberry mix is an absolute tragedy. The front and rear channels are doubled identical stereo and the center is a mono mix. The DR SACD stereo for a multi-channel single track is also 3dB

The Krausberry mix is an absolute tragedy. The front and rear channels are doubled identical stereo and the center is a mono mix. The DR SACD stereo for a multi-channel single track is also 3dB

i know, i bought grill's copy! 😂

you're right, it is absolutely dreadful! 👍

• Haha
Reactions: GOS
I remember being a big fan of Showbiz and OOS as a teen but not liking The Resistance at all when it was released. Having recently stumbled upon the DTS files I thought I'd give it another shot.
While not that bad, it's probably still my cut-off point for Muse. All the things I dislike about them these days are there already- the middling forays into contemporary pop (Undisclosed Desires, ugh), uninspired Queen and hair metal pastiches, pomposity and general decline in songwriting.

Still, there's some enjoyable cuts like the title song, Uprising, I Belong to You (which get muddled by the French aria section) or part III of the Symphony (as pretentious as that title is).

The mix seemed discrete and fun in places but didn't really gel for me as the best of them do. It's also pretty compressed so there's no real punch to anything and the louder parts just get noisy.

All in all, I'd probably give it a 6,5.

Last edited:
First "contribution" to the community here, so go easy on me. This is one of my absolute favorite albums, due to the symphony. My rating is 8/10. This is based on the errror in the DTS track, and the lack of creativity in some areas of the album that would have been amazing surround experiences. There is a clear error on the mastering of the DTS track. Somehow I was able to find a copy of the Dolby Digital / DTS disc at a local record store, and the difference in the dynamic range between the two is obvious. See the attached comparison. Top is Dolby Digital, bottom is DTS. Both from the same disc.

Dolby-Digital.png

DTS.png

No such thing thing officially exists. Caveat emptor applies.
This.

Take note the exact reason I joined these forums was due to this album. I heard the unofficial DTS copy of this floating around, and it sounded terrible. That’s an understatement. The channels were out of order, and the compression on the DTS source vs. the Dolby Digital source is unbelievable.

I was fortunate to find a hard copy of the box set which includes the 5.1 disc.

Once I heard the Dolby Digital track, my opinion of the 5.1 mix completely changed.

Back