Customer dissatisfied with Reavon player

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the exception of when I was beta testing an eSata drive on the BDP-93, I’ve never used an OPPO player that needed to be powered down first in order to remove the drive from the player without losing data or the drive crashing. I still unplug both flash and HDD’s to this day while the player is on.

With the exception of when I was beta testing an eSata drive on the BDP-93, I’ve never used an OPPO player that needed to be powered down first in order to remove the drive from the player without losing data or the drive crashing. I still unplug both flash and HDD’s to this day while the player is on.
You've been lucky then, if the drive is in use when you pull it will likely fail if you remove it, mine did!!! Same thing if it's in your computer, that's happened to me as well before!

So to be safe I always power it down first!

I just looked on eBay and you can get a Portable USB 2TB SSD for only $25 from China. Described as hot swappable as well! Almost free! Choice of colours too.

Last edited:
I'd be pretty nervous to learn that the same french Groupe Archisoft Company has started flogging a new 4K UHD player going by the name of the Magnetar UDP800 (starting at €1,599.00)...
Does the name hint at a relationship to a Sony UDP800 ?

I just looked on eBay and you can get a Portable USB 2TB SSD for only $25 from China. Described as hot swappable as well! Almost free! Choice of colours too.
What? I smell something funny there
Link please

Last edited:
This class of player is well outside of my budget, so I just did a quick deep dive. There's certainly a lot of features packed in, but aside from having analog outs it seems the unit is overpriced considering I could get something (or two somethings) functionally similar without analog outs for half or less the price. So, am I to assume the only people buying these Reavon players need the DAC/analog outs? What am I missing?

This class of player is well outside of my budget, so I just did a quick deep dive. There's certainly a lot of features packed in, but aside from having analog outs it seems the unit is overpriced considering I could get something (or two somethings) functionally similar without analog outs for half or less the price. So, am I to assume the only people buying these Reavon players need the DAC/analog outs? What am I missing?
Yes if you don't need analogue or care about hearing SACD in its native DSD there are many cheaper options. If you buy used you can find players as cheap as $50!

Read the sellers feedback, tons of negatives on the SSD. It's a scam/fake. You can't get a 2TB SSD for less than a hundred dollars, let alone one in a USB-C enclosure. 2TB at the $25 price point simply doesn't exist.
Hey you can get almost anything from China for peanuts! That's why everything seems to be made there now. I wouldn't expect it to be as reliable as a more expensive unit and I wouldn't trust it with my data. But for music files that you have backed up elsewhere why not. The seller has something like 95% positive feedback. It's not like you are wasting a lot of money!

It really boggles the mind in a few ways.
I've no idea how they can get SSD memory chip prices that low when no one else can.
Then assemble the complete product in a smaller space than I've ever seen the chips go in.
Put together a fully custom special order and then ship it across the ocean from China for FREE ???

But since the OPPO 205 is basically SOLID STATE and has adequate ventillation across the top portion of its architecture, would 'overheating' really be an issue unless you stacked another component [NOT recommended] atop it?
Ah, it was a sarcastic dig at the Reavon's apparent lack of electronics when asking for US$500 more than what the 205 was on release. But I don't take any chances with the 205 overheating as I have an AC Infinity AIRCOM S8 sitting on top of it to suck up any hot air and blow it out the back (it also keeps dust off the Oppo and thereby falling through the fins).

But I don't take any chances with the 205 overheating
Heat is the #1 enemy of modern gear, all things being equal, the cooler you keep em the longer they last. I've got a 200mm Noctua computer fan blowing across my Denon 4700H AVR and 5 (one each) blowing across my Adcom power amps. They're 25+ yo and I'd like to keep them runnin a bit longer. The fans run off a Noctua controler and I got the speed dialed down so i can't hear them at all in the MLP.

I'm not sure how helpful this method is. When I first got my Oppo I did started out using a flash drive plugged into the front USB. Then I moved up to a 3TB EXT HDD. I know, I know, it's crude & primitive compared to others set ups around here but it works for me.

Anyways as usual it has a power/activity light on it. I noticed that even with the Oppo turned off, the HDD light still showed as on. And I can pick up the HDD & feel the disc spinning. So simple powering down would not benefit a flash drive or HDD, just unplugging it. And of course the question returns how to do that safely.

For my self music & movies are usually in the evening & I just pull the USB plug from the Oppo when I'm done. So far, so good.
Strange I have a 4TB HDD continuously plugged into the rear USB of my 105 and when the 105 is in standby the HDD is definitely powered down, no activity/power light illuminated and no spinning disc. I only unplug the HDD when I need to make amendments to contents but do leave 105 in standby when doing so and also have not had any disasters!

Heat is the #1 enemy of modern gear, all things being equal, the cooler you keep em the longer they last. I've got a 200mm Noctua computer fan blowing across my Denon 4700H AVR and 5 (one each) blowing across my Adcom power amps. They're 25+ yo and I'd like to keep them runnin a bit longer. The fans run off a Noctua controler and I got the speed dialed down so i can't hear them at all in the MLP.
Amen, Bro. Since my pc and audio gear is clustered in one area, I just run a wire from a fan controller on one pc to a 240mm fan on top my Onkyo to suck the hot air out.

Nope. It's just an (embarrassingly ) simple WD My Passport 2.5" 3TB drive plugged in to & powered by only the USB port.
I wasn't able to get my 93 to see the WD 1TB passport drive plugged into the USB.

Don't remove the drive until the player is powered down. I ruined a thumb drive that way as well.
The Oppo does write some information to the drive, but I believe it’s done the first time it sees a new media file, and removing a drive during a write cycle could be damaging to the drive. My issues weren’t caused by that (I don’t remove drives while they are active), and after a reformat, it’s been fine.

I wasn't able to get my 93 to see the WD 1TB passport drive plugged into the USB.
Same with my 95 it only sees small drives (flash drives) I don't know what the size limit is. By the way I bought my 95 as a second machine because I loved the 103 so much. But it won't take large hard drives and it's networking is limited as well. Also the 95 won't play .dsf files.

Since my Anthem pre-pro does not do high res formats the 105 is what plays my SACD's, DVD-A, Dolby True HD, etc. And as I use a projector I really appreciate the Netflix/VUDU/YouTube etc apps built right into it. I also have the Australian all region firmware fix.
By and large, the streaming apps on my Oppo don’t compare to the UI on my Roku. And, of course, there’s no way to get rid of the Best Buy “Cinema Now” app, which was defunct the first time Imtried it. But it did introduce me to Berliner Philharminiker, so that’s a plus.

I usually use the Oppo for playback from my NAS. I think it’s quite geeky to tell people that my oppo can talk to my drobo.

It really boggles the mind in a few ways.
I've no idea how they can get SSD memory chip prices that low when no one else can.
Then assemble the complete product in a smaller space than I've ever seen the chips go in.
Put together a fully custom special order and then ship it across the ocean from China for FREE ???
They are even cheaper on AliExpress! Brand name drives are available as well at more "normal" prices.

Back