Customer dissatisfied with Reavon player

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah, it was a sarcastic dig at the Reavon's apparent lack of electronics when asking for US$500 more than what the 205 was on release. But I don't take any chances with the 205 overheating as I have an AC Infinity AIRCOM S8 sitting on top of it to suck up any hot air and blow it out the back (it also keeps dust off the Oppo and thereby falling through the fins).
The right rear top of the OPPO 205 chassis heated up quite a bit, so I set a 120mm enclosed AC Infinity fan on that spot, turned on low and to draw the air out of the case. Stays nice and cool now. And yes, those Reavon guts look laughably low-rent compared to the OPPO.

On the Oppo/USB stick thing, never had a problem removing a USB stick with a unit operating on my BDP-80 or BDP-103. I never tried a HDD.
It really is the luck of the draw. If the drive is idle you can get away with it. If they happened to be in process of transferring data, things can go pretty sideways.

Last edited:
Ah, it was a sarcastic dig at the Reavon's apparent lack of electronics when asking for US$500 more than what the 205 was on release. But I don't take any chances with the 205 overheating as I have an AC Infinity AIRCOM S8 sitting on top of it to suck up any hot air and blow it out the back (it also keeps dust off the Oppo and thereby falling through the fins).
I’ve got my Oppo 205 sitting on top of a cabinet with nothing on top or around it. I would hope that this amount of ventilation would be adequate without adding a fan.

Read the sellers feedback, tons of negatives on the SSD. It's a scam/fake. You can't get a 2TB SSD for less than a hundred dollars, let alone one in a USB-C enclosure. 2TB at the $25 price point simply doesn't exist.
I found this out the hard way. You get what you pay for with SSDs

It's complete overkill to use an USB connected SSD with any media player as you gain nothing from their increased speed/performance.

A conventional 2.5" HDD with a spin speed of 5400RPM placed within a USB 3.0 Micro-B caddy is able to offer data transfer speeds up-to 100MBps (800Mbps), which is good enough for most needs even 4K UHD encoded content which has a max data transfer speed of 144Mbps (18MBps).

EDITED: To mentioned '2.5 inch' HDD.

Last edited:
It's complete overkill to use an USB connected SSD with any media player as you gain nothing from their increased speed/performance.

A conventional HDD with a spin speed of 5400RPM placed within a USB 3.0 Micro-B caddy is able to offer data transfer speeds up-to 100MBps (800Mbps), which is good enough for most needs even 4K UHD encoded content which has a max data transfer speed of 144Mbps (18MBps).
Aren‘t SSDs more reliable than conventional HDDs? I thought that was the reason to get a SSD. No?

The SSDs consume less power and can be powered from the USB itself. Usually the conventional hard drive requires a separate power connection. SSDs are faster but that should be of no concern for playing audio files.

The SSDs consume less power and can be powered from the USB itself....
So can conventional 2.5" HDD's running at 5400RPM placed within a USB 3.0 Micro-B caddy... I have dozens of them and they all work perfectly with both my OPPO's and my LG televisions!

Word to the wise... Don't buy USB-C caddies unless they are directly connected to a device that offers a USB-C port!

So can conventional 2.5" HDD's running at 5400RPM placed within a USB 3.0 Micro-B caddy... I have dozens of them and they all work perfectly with both my OPPO's and my LG televisions!

Word to the wise... Don't buy USB-C caddies unless they are directly connected to a device that offers a USB-C port!
The 95 can only supply so much current through the USB I think that the 103 and 105 can supply more. If it works great! The 95 seems to have a limit on the size of the drive as well, not sure what that limit is but I have only been able to get it to work with flash drives! I forgot about the 95's e-SATA port, so I might have to give it a try.

Here is a quote from the BDP-95 user manual.

"The USB ports are rated to provide a maximum of 5V, 1000mA power to the USB drive. It is sufficient for
USB thumb drives and flash memory card readers, but may not be sufficient for USB hard disks. It is
recommended to check with your drive manufacturer for power requirement, or use an external power supply."

"For the e-SATA port, you need to use an e-SATA drive with an external power supply.
The e-SATA port on the BDP-95 does NOT support “hot-plug”. To avoid any damage to your drive and the
port, please always plug in or unplug the drive when the player is turned off."

SSDs are more reliable, the older 'platter' style drives fail at a much higher rate especially with frequent use.

Par4ken is on target with his post. Different USB ports have different speed AND power output/compatibility settings. It's not a guarantee a USB port will provide enough power for whatever you connect, which is why you'd have to verify the specs with the manufacturer.

ALL thumbdrives are low power as they're designed to operate on any USB3.0 or newer port (some newer thumbdrives will even work on older USB2.0 ports). Although SSDs and thumbdrives both use memory chips for storage, how they accomplish things is very different. SSDs have a higher power requirement, but some will run off only USB3.0 port power. The devil is in the details, always check the fine print first.

The 95 can only supply so much current through the USB I think that the 103 and 105 can supply more. If it works great! The 95 seems to have a limit on the size of the drive as well, not sure what that limit is but I have only been able to get it to work with flash drives! I forgot about the 95's e-SATA port, so I might have to give it a try.

Here is a quote from the BDP-95 user manual.

"The USB ports are rated to provide a maximum of 5V, 1000mA power to the USB drive. It is sufficient for
USB thumb drives and flash memory card readers, but may not be sufficient for USB hard disks. It is
recommended to check with your drive manufacturer for power requirement, or use an external power supply."
According to the user manuals for the BDP-103 and UDP-203 players, they are still rated at 5V, 1000mA but I suspect in reality they may offer higher mA's...

Anyway, as previously mentioned the USB 3.0 Micro-B caddies I have work fine with my gear... I forgot to mention, I even have a 2.5" 5TB HDD directly connected to my Synology DS212+ NAS via USB 3.0 ;)

Last edited:
Even though I’ve had two full sized 3.5” desktop HDDs out of three just stop working, I no longer use them. I still use the smaller portable HDDs (currently have two of them) that have never failed. I hot swap them, along with flash drives, quite frequently between two OPPO disc players (BDP-93 & UDP-205), a Denon AVR and never had a problem.

All good info from everyone posting here. :)

Could you clarify that statement please. thx.
All USB connections prior to USB-C are limited to 5 volts. By contrast, because USB-C devices are able to communicate with each other they are able to supply different power deliveries (PD) including: 5, 9, 12, 15 and 20 volts at various mA outputs ;)

A few months ago I received some USB-C output caddies to test and none of them worked correctly when plugged into the USB-A ports of my devices, including my OPPO's, televisions and PC's...

I'm yet to buy a new computer fitted with USB-C ports. Or a media player or an NAS - if there are any yet!

Just to clear some of this up, I have an Oppo BDP-93. I have been using WD Elements portable hard drives powered directly from the front USB port on the Oppo with no problems. There is a limitation on the size of the drive however, that being 2GB. It must also be partitioned as GPT (GUID Partition Table) as opposed to MBR (master boot record) for the Oppo to see it. Not sure about the BDP-95 but it's probably the same as it's the same series (ie 9x).

Buy a used Oppo. I ditched my top of the line Toshiba SD-9200 way back when the first Oppo was released and never purchased anything but Oppo since. That Toshiba was quite a tank weight wise.

Just to clear some of this up, I have an Oppo BDP-93. I have been using WD Elements portable hard drives powered directly from the front USB port on the Oppo with no problems. There is a limitation on the size of the drive however, that being 2GB. It must also be partitioned as GPT (GUID Partition Table) as opposed to MBR (master boot record) for the Oppo to see it. Not sure about the BDP-95 but it's probably the same as it's the same series (ie 9x).
I'll have to try that. The manual says it must be FAT32 or NTFS. Size limit, you must mean 2TB!

I'll have to try that. The manual says it must be FAT32 or NTFS. Size limit, you must mean 2TB!
Oops, you're correct it's 2TB! Note that partitioning is different to formatting. Partitioning is done via Disk Management (at least in Windows, not sure about Macs) whereas formatting is done via Explorer.

Last edited:
Back