Customer dissatisfied with Reavon player

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oops, you're c correct it's 2TB! Note that partitioning is different to formatting. Partitioning is done via Disk Management (at least in Windows, not sure about Macs) whereas formatting is done via Explorer.
If I'm understanding you I could use GPT to partition a large drive into partitions of 2TB each, then the Oppo BDP95 might be able to see them? My external WD 2TB HHD drive is partitioned GPT but can not be read by the 95. I wonder if it is just over the limit size wise?

I checked my computer drives and those 2TB and below are all MBR. All the flash drives are as well. My Seagate 8TB expansion drive obviously is GPT and works with the 103.

If I'm understanding you I could use GPT to partition a large drive into partitions of 2TB each, then the Oppo BDP95 might be able to see them? My external WD 2TB HHD drive is partitioned GPT but can not be read by the 95. I wonder if it is just over the limit size wise?

I checked my computer drives and those 2TB and below are all MBR. All the flash drives are as well. My Seagate 8TB expansion drive obviously is GPT and works with the 103.
That's a thought, although I have no way to test this as I don't have any larger than 2TB drives. Maybe yours is just over as you say. The only reason I know about this GPT/MBR thing is some time ago I bought 2 additional WD Elements 2TB drives to augment my original. The first one must have already been GPT as it worked out of the box, but after loading files on the 2 new ones the Oppo didn't recognise them. In researching the reason why I came across the 2 different partitioning methods. Switching one of the new drives to GPT (which unfortunately is destructive to the file system), formatting and then reloading the files did the trick.

Read the sellers feedback, tons of negatives on the SSD. It's a scam/fake. You can't get a 2TB SSD for less than a hundred dollars, let alone one in a USB-C enclosure. 2TB at the $25 price point simply doesn't exist.
This article explains the scam regarding unreasonably cheap, large capacity drives:
https://www.techradar.com/news/buyers-beware-fake-64tb-128tb-ssds-flooding-online-marketplacesI don't know if this is also going on with the drives described in the original post, but thought this was something worth knowing about.

I just ordered a 2TB drive (flash drive) off eBay for $13. If a scam I'm not out much. Those super large drives are almost certainly scams but as the article says AliExpress and eBay are working to remove the scams. Not to mention (once again) that if the item is a scam you can complain to eBay and get your money back!

Last edited:
This article explains the scam regarding unreasonably cheap, large capacity drives:
"Amazon seems to have successfully avoided that scam..."

They most certainly have not. They have a ton of that garbage and continue to sell it even though the reviews are brutal and, I assume, the stuff is getting returned.

"Amazon seems to have successfully avoided that scam..."

They most certainly have not. They have a ton of that garbage and continue to sell it even though the reviews are brutal and, I assume, the stuff is getting returned.
Similarly on eBay, there's burned surround blurays being sold as new discs of very popular artists of products/deluxe sets that cost 10x more than the listing. The issue isn't always whether these platforms care and take stuff down, because new accounts (or hijacked accounts) just put them right back up.

I mean, the rule for most things bought and sold on the planet is "if it's too good to be true, it probably is."

Similarly on eBay, there's burned surround blurays being sold as new discs of very popular artists of products/deluxe sets that cost 10x more than the listing. The issue isn't always whether these platforms care and take stuff down, because new accounts (or hijacked accounts) just put them right back up.
I imagine it's much easier to skirt the rules on eBay for exactly the reason you state.

Amazon, on the other hand, moderates customer reviews, so when I see a one-star rated "16TB SSD" with multiple reviews explicitly pointing out the fraud while it continues to be sold, I can't help but wonder if Jeffy is just looking the other way.

Then again, maybe the review moderation team is only looking for off-topic comments or profanity and hasn't been tasked with fraud reduction.

I imagine it's much easier to skirt the rules on eBay for exactly the reason you state.

Amazon, on the other hand, moderates customer reviews, so when I see a one-star rated "16TB SSD" with multiple reviews explicitly pointing out the fraud while it continues to be sold, I can't help but wonder if Jeffy is just looking the other way.

Then again, maybe the review moderation team is only looking for off-topic comments or profanity and hasn't been tasked with fraud reduction.
I think much of the ratings on Amazon are a complete joke. I've been contacted, unsolicited, by what I assume are Chinese vendors to buy their products, review them, and get a refund.
After refusing to go down the rabbit hole with one -although I did buy the product, an HDMI switch, because I needed one - Amazon then refused to let me review the product and said I broke some rule but would not tell me what I did wrong (I acted ethically). After prodding them a bit, I was told they would no longer respond to any more inquiries about the subject, and still refused to tell me what "rule" I broke.
Pretty screwed up that the vendors are allowed to contact you, unsolicited, and make you offers in private to review their products.
Now, if I purchase something unsolicited, review it, and the vendor then offers me a discount or partial refund (happened once, some printer ink) then I'll gladly accept it.

Of course I read the reviews as well, I'm just a little more careful these days as I've got some real junk a few times.

I received my "2TB" Hard drive the other day. I ordered on eBay from a Canadian seller rather than direct from China. Anyway the item did not match the picture in the eBay auction at all. The particular drive that I received can still be found on Amazon for about the same price, in fact mine came in Amazon packaging. I would have never purchased that particular item in the first place if the correct picture was posted. Anyway the drive did not even work and so I will be returning it.

Amazon's return policy is much easier than that of eBay. I contacted the (eBay) seller to return the item and now have to wait five days before taking further action. I guess that I should have left negative feedback right off the hop because now the item no longer shows up in my eBay summary under orders. Is that how bad eBay sellers keep up their good ratings?

I'm still undeterred, most of the more obvious scams have been removed from Amazon and to a lesser extent eBay. There are still a lot of brand name drives left at reasonable prices. I don't really need a drive right now and this was more of an experiment to see just what you can get for very little money, I'm disappointed that it didn't turn out. I've had great success purchasing other items from China for next to no money.

Interesting to learn that one scam is to give you a regular flash drive that has been programed to incorrectly report the memory as some large value. As data is written to it once it reaches it's actual limit it starts overwriting the existing data. I guess the hope of the scammer is that you won't notice until it's too late to return.

I'm sure that Chinese officials would take a dim view of this kind of behavior, it tarnishes their reputation as a reliable/trustworthy supplier. I wouldn't be surprised if it was grounds for the death penalty in that country!

Last edited:
I received my "2TB" Hard drive the other day. I ordered on eBay from a Canadian seller rather than direct from China. Anyway the item did not match the picture in the eBay auction at all. The particular drive that I received can still be found on Amazon for about the same price, in fact mine came in Amazon packaging. I would have never purchased that particular item in the first place if the correct picture was posted. Anyway the drive did not even work and so I will be returning it.

Amazon's return policy is much easier than that of eBay. I contacted the (eBay) seller to return the item and now have to wait five days before taking further action. I guess that I should have left negative feedback right off the hop because now the item no longer shows up in my eBay summary under orders. Is that how bad eBay sellers keep up their good ratings?

I'm still undeterred, most of the more obvious scams have been removed from Amazon and to a lesser extent eBay. There are still a lot of brand name drives left at reasonable prices. I don't really need a drive right now and this was more of an experiment to see just what you can get for very little money, I'm disappointed that it didn't turn out. I've had great success purchasing other items from China for next to no money.

Interesting to learn that one scam is to give you a regular flash drive that has been programed to incorrectly report the memory as some large value. As data is written to it once it reaches it's actual limit it starts overwriting the existing data. I guess the hope of the scammer is that you won't notice until it's too late to return.

I'm sure that Chinese officials would take a dim view of this kind of behavior, it tarnishes their reputation as a reliable/trustworthy supplier. I wouldn't be surprised if it was grounds for the death penalty in that country!
So it was a HDD and not a flash drive you ordered?

Listed as hard drive but looked more like a flash drive.
Lol. OK. Well if it was not at least 2.5" across it was not a HDD. That's some weird stuff.
I've been pretty lucky ordering drives from Ebay, that is actual Seagate HDD's, not from China, however. There are well known brands manufactured in Thailand that are represented as brand new but sometimes are delivered out of warranty according to some reviews I've read. Probably "demo" models.
I've ordered motherboards off Ebay as well but only from Newegg. In recent times I've only bought HDD's from Newegg, almost always on sale and shipped by Newegg.
Just got a motherboard off Newegg shipped by Platinum Micro in Cali. No complaints.
I did just order a Seasonic psu fom Amazon, hopefully no problems there. Recently got one out of Canada through Newegg for wife's new pc build, no problems.

I've been burned on a few Chinese products on Amazon. Work a few months then....crap out. Now I buy warranties if I buy Chinese at all.

My money was refunded for the flash drive, which shows that eBay purchases of questionable items is perfectly safe! The thing that bothers me is that I can't leave feedback.

The feedback thing opens up dilemma, the product was bad deserving a negative but the situation was taken care of quickly deserving a positive or at least a neutral response. A negative would help deter others from ordering a bad product and be the more useful response.

Edit: Under the return message there is a link to the order, so it is possible to leave feedback but it seems strange that eBay hides the order from the main summary page that way!

Last edited:
I ordered the five DVD Beatles Anthology(on ebay for $25 , I ended up paying $40 for a real set locally) set for a price that was low but not really "too good to be true" though I did not do very much research. A counterfeit arrived. When I squawked about it the seller offered to reduce the price to $12 but I returned it anyway. The refund was so fast that I think ebays algorithm may have spotted the word counterfeit in my email to the seller or something like that happened. When it arrived I didn't look at it closely until I saw a youhootube vid and went and looked at all my Beatles recent purchases. They were all the real thing except this one. It was cheesey on close inspection, incorrect outer box, black rather than clear white disc cases etc. Interestingly it was way past the usual time limit.

Edit: Part of the reason I think ebay did it is that they also refunded the schipping charges which usually sellers don't. I also got a preprinted return label which I couldn't tell whether it was from ebay or the seller. The return schipment was also free which is often not the case or used to be. Later I saw that the same seller had reduced the price of the counterfeits. I guess he was going to blow out his stock.

Last edited:
My money was refunded for the flash drive, which shows that eBay purchases of questionable items is perfectly safe! The thing that bothers me is that I can't leave feedback.

The feedback thing opens up dilemma, the product was bad deserving a negative but the situation was taken care of quickly deserving a positive or at least a neutral response. A negative would help deter others from ordering a bad product and be the more useful response.
The larger issue is the cost to handle your return/refund gets lumped into the other million they do monthly across all products traded on their platform, and eventually the cost of having to handle that gets passed on to sellers in the form of increased seller fees. So while it didn't hurt your wallet, it does hurt the larger ecosystem which will hurt your wallet next time when legit sellers have to markup their products even more to cover the increasing seller fees. Your perceived victory and sound judgment in plowing ahead with purchasing a clearly fraudulent item is illusory.

Back