Talking Heads in Atmos

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bookofsaturdays

701 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Just happened to read this scrolling through Instagram. Wonder if there will be any physical product?

1ED15D55-0755-4BA7-88C2-CBF661D3E864.jpeg

Burning Down The House was indeed mind-blowing in Atmos. Everything I listened to was stellar in surround. Jerry Harrison did a fantastic job. Here's hoping he mixes the first four Live albums in Atmos as well. After all, he produced them.

I dunno, I just can't seem to get too excited about these Atmos mixes. It would have been great to hear more of the dense instrumentation in Remain In Light and Speaking In Tongues parsed out into the height speakers, but it's close to an entire mix up there! I'd rather just listen in standard 5.1, versus having what essentially amounts to a 5.1 mix positioned halfway between ear level and the ceiling. Great news for folks who missed the Brick though!

I dunno, I just can't seem to get too excited about these Atmos mixes. It would have been great to hear more of the dense instrumentation in Remain In Light and Speaking In Tongues parsed out into the height speakers, but it's close to an entire mix up there! I'd rather just listen in standard 5.1, versus having what essentially amounts to a 5.1 mix positioned halfway between ear level and the ceiling. Great news for folks who missed the Brick though!

Right. The Atmos mix for Speaking in Tongues does sound really great, but so does my 5.1 - and it's lossless.

Well, I love these new mixes, up mix or not it lifts the music for me. Haven't been listening to the 5.1 discs for years.

Tho Apple is lossy,they all sound stellar IMHO

BTW i heard someone mention "Radiohead" did some of theirs (or the catalog?) in ATMOS

Is that true, and are there physical discs?

Tho Apple is lossy,they all sound stellar IMHO

BTW i heard someone mention "Radiohead" did some of theirs (or the catalog?) in ATMOS

Is that true, and are there physical discs?
Radio Head is the name of a song by the Talking Heads, on the True Stories album. Sorry, no dice on anything in surround by the band Radiohead as far as I know. Although they would be ideal.

It's great for those that want to build out their system with more and more speakers, who feel 5.1 is lacking, have tons of cash, and never owned the TH's 5.1 mixes, and are into streaming.

This in not my situation at all. I have to wonder if the Atmos revenue stream can support tons of real remixed albums from the true multitracks, and if it can really catch on in a big way. If 5.1 struggled, then Atmos is not going to have a walk in the park with a piece of cake.

But anyway, good for the music to get exposed in a fresh new way. The Heads albums are all wonderful.

Last edited:
Radio Head is the name of a song by the Talking Heads, on the True Stories album. Sorry, no dice on anything in surround by the band Radiohead as far as I know. Although they would be ideal.
Is that where Radiohead got their name?

The new Bob Lefsetz podcast interview is with Jerry Harrison, and he talks about Atmos, and mixing the Talking Heads catalog in Atmos.

https://pca.st/9exg3qnm
I haven't had a chance to listen yet but has Lefsetz come around on surround music? I recall when he interviewed Steven Wilson a couple of years ago he was completely clueless, and when Atmos began rolling out on streaming, he wrote about how that is not how music was intended to be produced, or some such nonsense.

Back