Frank Zappa Waka/Wazoo Deluxe 4CD + Blu-Ray 5.1 and Atmos!!!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
got mine yesterday, for $60. I like it all except the BD which is a ripoff and an insult but I’m sure i can sell it down the road. Sticking to my original vinyls (plus the DVD-A track from quadraphiliac) which matrix beautifully. So i’m glad i bought it but also disappointed. They had one job. I have not checked out the Atmos mix yet so perhaps that redeems it.

The Roxy BD was beautiful. There’s no excuse for treating paying customers like this, you nix this in quality control before you go live, imo. ymmv

You will love both mixes! Only one other person didn't care for it, but he seemed to like front heavy mixes rather than balanced.
i confess i don’t like either of the mixes. 50 years of hearing the perfect LPs, which matrix perfectly, perhaps spoiled me. In particular, I reacted strongly and negatively to the way in which some things were brought up in the mix and some put down, as well as their location in the room. It was not the special experience i was looking forward to. Ultimately i think they make the albums sound not as good as they are. In particular the crispness is gone, and it sounds dead, especially noticeable on the Waka/Jawaka album. This could be just me being weird, tho.

i confess i don’t like either of the mixes. 50 years of hearing the perfect LPs, which matrix perfectly, perhaps spoiled me. In particular, I reacted strongly and negatively to the way in which some things were brought up in the mix and some put down, as well as their location in the room. It was not the special experience i was looking forward to. Ultimately i think they make the albums sound not as good as they are. In particular the crispness is gone, and it sounds dead, especially noticeable on the Waka/Jawaka album. This could be just me being weird, tho.
I have been listening to vinyl for 50+ years, I still do, and I have never heard a perfect LP. You are very lucky!

I have been listening to vinyl for 50+ years, I still do, and I have never heard a perfect LP. You are very lucky!
I think the mix questions are a matter of taste. I don’t feel they did their best in setting up the menus/user interface. For what they charged it seems like they just “mailed it in”!

I understand where you’re coming from and appreciate your perspectives because I run into this a lot... I’m hearing an old album for the first time in this format. Lots of other people like yourself have the grooves of the original album wired into their brain.

At some point when I’ve spent more time with this release I hope to add a review. But my perspective will lack any ability to comprehensively compare it to the original album. So for me, this release will be my “definitive” version in a sense.

There was so much good music I missed out on when I was younger. Now I’m hearing anniversary editions that are the only versions I know.

I haven’t determined yet if that’s a good thing (because I don’t have an older version stuck in my head that nothing can compete with) or a bad thing (because I lack full appreciation for how something has been enhanced with surround.)

I think the mix questions are a matter of taste. I don’t feel they did their best in setting up the menus/user interface. For what they charged it seems like they just “mailed it in”!
I just rip it. The menu and levels don't enter into the equation to me. The new mixes are great, as is the music of course. I liked the old stereo mixes, but this version takes it to another level. I just don't see how the discussion of the mixes get lumped together with the menu. They didn't "mail in" the mix! Have you ever listened to a Silverline disc?

Last edited:
I understand where you’re coming from and appreciate your perspectives because I run into this a lot... I’m hearing an old album for the first time in this format. Lots of other people like yourself have the grooves of the original album wired into their brain.

At some point when I’ve spent more time with this release I hope to add a review. But my perspective will lack any ability to comprehensively compare it to the original album. So for me, this release will be my “definitive” version in a sense.

There was so much good music I missed out on when I was younger. Now I’m hearing anniversary editions that are the only versions I know.

I haven’t determined yet if that’s a good thing (because I don’t have an older version stuck in my head that nothing can compete with) or a bad thing (because I lack full appreciation for how something has been enhanced with surround.)
I imagine it’s a blessing and a curse, having heard these albums hundreds of times over the course of 50 years. On the other hand after a brief frisson I had no trouble adapting to the alternate take on the Quadraphiliac DVD-A, which sounded as vibrant and alive as the vinyl Waka to my ears, and the quad mix was sublime. There’s just something off about these to my ears but i haven’t a technical enough understanding or vocabulary to discuss it intelligently. Maybe if it had the “loud” factor of a simple DTS mix it would be better for me?

I imagine it’s a blessing and a curse, having heard these albums hundreds of times over the course of 50 years. On the other hand after a brief frisson I had no trouble adapting to the alternate take on the Quadraphiliac DVD-A, which sounded as vibrant and alive as the vinyl Waka to my ears, and the quad mix was sublime. There’s just something off about these to my ears but i haven’t a technical enough understanding or vocabulary to discuss it intelligently. Maybe if it had the “loud” factor of a simple DTS mix it would be better for me?
?

Are you disappointed because of the surround mix? I haven't had time to listen to mine.
i don’t like the mixes, the sound levels, the menu, nor the instantaneous switch at the end of each album from annoyingly quiet to annoyingly loud, unnecessary menu music. All of these seriously degrade the experience for me… so far. I paid $60. I just had higher expectations. No problem, though, if i never come to like it the value will doubtless appreciate.

DTS mixes sound louder than other mixes. No?
Sorry but I don't understand the connection you are making. To answer your question, DTS doesn't necessarily sound "louder". It depends on the production.

i don’t like the mixes, the sound levels, the menu, nor the instantaneous switch at the end of each album from annoyingly quiet to annoyingly loud, unnecessary menu music. All of these seriously degrade the experience for me… so far. I paid $60. I just had higher expectations. No problem, though, if i never come to like it the value will doubtless appreciate.
Pops and clicks on vinyl takes out the experience for me.

Sorry but I don't understand the connection you are making. To answer your question, DTS doesn't necessarily sound "louder". It depends on the production.
Right, comparison with any given DTS mix will depend on production, compression, and the absence of a dialnorm. But in general, some people have the impression, rightly or wrongly, that DTS feels louder. Felt. All moot now, plain DTS 5.1 is not what anyone is lol asking for any more.

A few minutes ago I was on a conference call, the door bell rang, so when the call ended I went to the door and there in the porch was my package with the Zappa discs! :SG
I paid about 40% more (for postage & tax) than I needed to, as it turns out 😢, I was afraid it wouldn't be released on this side of the pond! 🙄
Mine finally came today. I guess proximity makes no difference! Anyway, glad to finally get it. But now it’s behind the King Crimson documentary and the latest Renaissance box. Might have to alter the rotation schedule!! 😜

I just rip it. The menu and levels don't enter into the equation to me. The new mixes are great, as is the music of course. I liked the old stereo mixes, but this version takes it to another level. I just don't see how the discussion of the mixes get lumped together with the menu. They didn't "mail in" the mix! Have you ever listened to a Silverline disc?
I didn’t say I didn’t like the mix, just the interface! I don’t rip anything anymore! That’s too much like work and I just want to enjoy the content. I have 8 TB of ripped content that I’ve assembled over the years.

Back