Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HBO is broadcasting the very favorably reviewed THE MENU tonight @ 8 PM [EST] Release date for the BD~V is January 17th!

https://bluray.highdefdigest.com/113124/themenu.html
814SnNUGF-L._SL1500_.jpg

SPECIAL mention must be in order for Paramount Present's remarkable 4K restoration [1080p] of Milos Forman's RAGTIME based on the novel by E.L. Doctorow! A remarkable film and a wonderful soundtrack in Dolby Surround of Randy Newman's oscar nominated score. With Hollywood legends James Cagney, Pat O'Brien, Donald O'Connor et alia joined by then newcomers Howard E. Rollins, Elizabeth McGovern, Mary Steenburgen, Jeff Daniels, Mandy Patinkin, Debbie Allen, Samuel L. Jackson and Brad Dourif, Forman paints a turn of the century landscape in ole New York of racial injustice with a skillfull eye for direction.

Paramount's BD~V transfer is gorgeous and hopefully one day it will be upgraded to Native UHD4K. Also includes a second BD~V disc with an unfinished Director's rough cut.

VERY highly recommended!

81M3Ot6ry6L._SL1500_.jpg

Watched this again yesterday and was impressed not only with the surround sound but with the soundtrack music as well. Rocking 70's Spanish songs, I wish were available on a soundtrack album. The film is in Spanish with subtitles. I like the film as well though it;s been criticized for sugar coating the brutality of the true story. I first watched this film on a plane that was censored in parts but liked it enough to buy it. Great direction, great lead actors and a well made film.
Screen Shot 2023-01-15 at 9.15.26 AM.png

Last edited:
Watched this again yesterday and was impressed not only with the surround sound but with the soundtrack music as well. Rocking 70's Spanish songs, I wish were available on a soundtrack album. The film is in Spanish with subtitles. I like the film as well though it;s been criticized for sugar coating the brutality of the true story. I first watched this film on a plane that was censored in parts but liked it enough to buy it. Great direction, great lead actors and a well made film.

An interesting review from THE HOLLYWOOD REPORTER

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/m...gel-el-angel-film-review-cannes-2018-1110926/

From the digital bits website:

Our retail sources are now telling us to expect Warner Bros. Home Entertainment to release John Huston’s The Maltese Falcon (1941) and Stuart Rosenberg’s Cool Hand Luke (1967) on 4K UHD on 4/11, followed by Nicholas Ray’s Rebel Without a Cause (1955) on 4/25.

We’ve also recently learned that Martin Scorsese’s The Departed (2006) and Harold Ramis’ National Lampoon’s Vacation (1983) are coming to 4K Ultra HD later this year from Warner. Street date on those is TBA.

I would LOVE QQ Forum feedback on THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN! I had DVRed it from HBO in 1080 resolution with a DD 5.1 soundtrack and watched it intently last night and frankly, expecting a 'comedy' it was anything BUT! Of course the acting, cinematography and Carter Burwell's immersive score were without fault but the thick Irish accents and slang throughout necessitated engaging the cc subtitles. Taking place during the Irish Civil War of 1923 on a remote and ficticious Island off the coast of Ireland, I found it ultimately depressing and when Colin Farrell's character [spoiler alert] removed the severed finger of his former BFF, which, apparently choked his beloved miniature donkey, Jenny, it was indeed the Middle Finger! Such despair, isolation and ennui all pointed to a civil war within the inhabitants of that remote fictional island of Inisherin! And if that was the point, IMO, it succeeded brilliantly!

61IO9Vd0aUL._SL1500_.jpg

I would LOVE QQ Forum feedback on THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN! I had DVRed it from HBO in 1080 resolution with a DD 5.1 soundtrack and watched it intently last night and frankly, expecting a 'comedy' it was anything BUT! Of course the acting, cinematography and Carter Burwell's immersive score were without fault but the thick Irish accents and slang throughout necessitated engaging the cc subtitles. Taking place during the Irish Civil War of 1923 on a remote and ficticious Island off the coast of Ireland, I found it ultimately depressing and when Colin Farrell's character [spoiler alert] removed the severed finger of his former BFF, which, apparently choked his beloved miniature donkey, Jenny, it was indeed the Middle Finger! Such despair, isolation and ennui all pointed to a civil war within the inhabitants of that remote fictional island of Inisherin! And if that was the point, IMO, it succeeded brilliantly!

61IO9Vd0aUL._SL1500_.jpg
I haven't seen it but it's on my list!

I haven't seen it but it's on my list!
Pete, the closest analogy to Banshees just might be Philip Ridley's 'cult classic' THE REFLECTING SKIN with a very young Viggo Mortensen and Lindsay Duncan. When I screened it for a friend he surmised it was the WORST film he had ever seen. But seriously, he missed the point ..... that childhood can indeed be VERY VERY Frightening. If you have a chance, I very highly recommend it:

81uu2egNjBL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Back