What is your, "I need another set of this, like I need another hole in my head"?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread is my rabbit hole.

Santana I
1st press LP x 2, SQ x 2, CD, expanded CD, 2 CD expanded, Mofi 2ch SACD, Japan Quad SACD. 1st press 2ch LP is my most played. Quad came out (finally) in '74.

Abraxas
2ch LP, SQ x 2, Q8, German LP, 1/2 speed US Mastersound, Japan CD, MoFi Gold CD, US CD, expanded CD, DTS CD, UK 2 CD (w/III), MoFi 2 ch SACD & Japan Quad SACD

Santana III
SQ x 2, Q8, US CD, expanded CD, UK 2 CD (w/ Abraxas), 2 CD expanded, MoFi 2ch SACD, Quad Japan SACD

Pet Sounds
Mono CD, Gold mono CD, '98 deluxe box (1st 2ch mix), DVD-A, 2nd deluxe box w/5.1

Rise - Herb Alpert
LP, A&M Audiophile Canada 1/2 speed, dbx LP, Japan CD (autographed), expanded CD

Yellow Brick Road
cassette, 2 LP, Direct Disc Labs 1/2 speed, Japan 2 CD, MoFi Gold CD, SACD/DVD, DVD-A and super deluxe box

Crime of the Century
promo LP w/mobile, MoFi 1/2 speed, MoFi UHQR LP, Japan CD, A&M German 10 CD albums collection box, MoFi Gold CD, BD

https://www.discogs.com/release/14461392-Supertramp-The-Compact-Disc-Collection

I have 5 OPPO Universal PLAYERS including the latest: a region free 205 and all are in working condition except the NuForce modified one refuses to play multichannel ....

And Don't get me started on the multiples of albums I own .....

And if you're into video ........ try VHS/BETA/Hi 8 .......LASERDISC/DVD/Blu Ray and now UHD4K ....... RIDICULOUS, I SAY!

all of the early Cocs on vinyl-just got myself a "Loe's easy Tears" EP, a US pressing with extra song, a Rush Signals Jap LP pressing (on its way home), a Yes Drama Japanese pressing(at home), ELO Time Jap pressing (at home too)... oh well, a LOT of Japanese 1st pressings.. I MAY ease off on some modern releases on LP cause i found a formula to "unbrickwall" them..we shall see

I guess I could be the only one who sells the old version whenever I buy a new one, I don’t have more than one version of anything, i’d say the most of anything i’ve bought and sold over the years would be 3, LP, CD then MCH disc

Some more came to mind:

I have LP, cassette, and CD copies of Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds.

I have LP and CD copies of Perrey-Kingsley's The IN Sound from Way OUT, and I have a CD set of The OUT Sound from Way IN coming (set of their albums containing this one).

I have LP and CD versions of Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells, plus a compressed CD I made for use in the car.

I have LP and CD versions of Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells 2, plus a compressed CD I made for use in the car.
I have been playing The Out Sounds From Way In and found a song Baroque Hoedown, that is on my The Wizard of Speed and Time DVD:

I also found a song on this album, Flight of the Bumblebee, that is on the Dynaco 4-Dimensional Stereo Demonstration Disc.

Last edited:
I ended up with 9 Peppers, without trying to buy a lot. Here's the list in order of purchase, with reason* for buying each copy:

Used UK 8 track - had never seen an 8 track before (I have never owned a player)
Used Original mono LP (unplayably scratched) - Because it was an original copy.
US 1970s pic disc LP - a present
Canadian 1970s marble vinyl LP - bought mail order, unseen, pre-internet because I thought it would look cool. It doesn't. The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Original UK CD in HMV box - my first 'proper' copy. (Up until this point I was playing my brother's copy.)
Remastered UK CD - because it was a remaster
Used UK 70s stereo LP - handed down from my brother when he gave up vinyl
SDE BD - you know why
Used 70s UK gold inlay cassette - bought because I had so many other formats I thought I might as well. And the gold inlays are fairly iconic. So this is the only copy I bought on purpose to say 'I have another copy of Pepper'.

If I saw a DAT very, very cheap I would 'have' to buy it.

* I'm not sure the word 'reason' is very apt for this thread.
Only 9? :cool:

Perrey's Quad Reel The Amazing New Electronic Pop Sound. was one of the first things I ever heard in Quad. And it was in my bedroom in '69. No quad gear was available except QR.

Two FM stations broadcast simultaneously in 1969 ish. One did the fronts. The other did the rears. So, Dad's stereo and mine comprised my first "Quad" system. All they played were Vanguard reels. Country Joe, Perrey. I was hooked... Two years later, I started buying Quad records. In '73, Q8, QR, SQ, QS & CD-4 hardware and software kept finding its' way into my house. Still do.

OK, Pepperland, let me count the ways,10:

US 2ch LP, Blue UK LP box, Red mono UK LP box (incl Abbey Road & Let it Be foldover mixes), MoFi 1/2 speed, MoFi 1/2 speed LP Collection box, US individual 2ch CD, UK rolltop desk 2ch CD box, 2ch US Black CD box, Japan mono CD box, Sgt. Pepper super deluxe

Perrey's Quad Reel The Amazing New Electronic Pop Sound. was one of the first things I ever heard in Quad. And it was in my bedroom in '69. No quad gear was available except QR.

Two FM stations broadcast simultaneously in 1969 ish. One did the fronts. The other did the rears. So, Dad's stereo and mine comprised my first "Quad" system. All they played were Vanguard reels. Country Joe, Perrey. I was hooked... Two years later, I started buying Quad records. In '73, Q8, QR, SQ, QS & CD-4 hardware and software kept finding its' way into my house. Still do.

OK, Pepperland, let me count the ways,10:

US 2ch LP, Blue UK LP box, Red mono UK LP box (incl Abbey Road & Let it Be foldover mixes), MoFi 1/2 speed, MoFi 1/2 speed LP Collection box, US individual 2ch CD, UK rolltop desk 2ch CD box, 2ch US Black CD box, Japan mono CD box, Sgt. Pepper super deluxe
Linda, I think we need to introduce some sort of 'handicap' system in the counting rules. We should only start counting your copies (of any album) over the first 10 you own, otherwise you will always win! :p

OK, here are a couple more based on spins I've last night & this morning:

Nightfly LP 1st press US, German "bullseye" CD, DVD-A and MVI box (5.1 & CD)

Court & Spark 1st press US LP, Q8, CD-4, German "bullseye" CD & Asylum 4 CD box

Rolling Stones - Their Satanic Majesties Request
Too many. From the first mono pressing to the 2018 UK RSD copy.
Beatles - The Beatles (White Album)
Last copy of this which remains unopened is 2018 super deluxe edition. Got this one for the hi-res mono. Would loved it if they put the takes which Ringo gave to Peter Sellers.

Back