Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I enjoy hearing this Atmos mix of the last fully acoustic album by the "Second Great Quintet."
Those who don't appreciate it can easily switch to the stereo version.

Don't want to quibble about the impressions folks I respect shared about the mix.
I hope we can agree the world would be a poorer place if this version were withdrawn, and the streaming offerings reverted to stereo only.

Miles knocked it out 55 years ago in a few sessions, released it quickly, and moved on.
He didn't labor over it like Steely Dan or The Beatles.
It wasn't recorded with isolated multi-tracks.
Not a good candidate to be deconstructed at Abbey Road by Giles Martin.
It is what it is.
Peace, out. ☮️
I don’t understand the idea that a multi channel mix can’t be “ good” unless the mixer makes very obvious use of all the channels.
For my part: just trying to add a little descriptive detail of what I heard. I also enjoyed having an excuse to listen to one of my favorite Miles albums in good fidelity.

I am still curious about the mixer(s) and their approach, though. Agreed that albums like this aren't great candidates for all-channel Atmos mixes in the first place--and, more generally, that there are lots of ways to skin an "immersive" cat. (You might be able to do something interesting with stem-separation technology on an album like this, but whether a majority of listeners would approve is an open question with a lot of contingencies.) Genewick and Rideau were responsible for two of the highest-profile Miles remixes before this, though, and I think Genewick is also responsible for most or all of the Atmos mixes of old Blue Notes out there. So if Sony didn't go back to him for this one, I'm just idly wondering why--maybe he's now under contract to UMe? And even though his treatment of classic acoustic post-bop doesn't do a lot for me, either, it's still a deliberate, principled approach; I get it/respect it; and I'm glad if the net effect is to bring some great music back into the limelight.

Last edited:
Ambient/electronic fans, rejoice. A new one from film composer Ryuichi Sakamoto:
Oh nice, this wasn't Atmos on release a few days ago. I didn't listen to the whole thing then, but a little bit, but I liked it.

This is, tragically, likely the last Ryuichi Sakamoto album. In 2014 he was diagnosed with throat cancer. He was able to beat it into remission, but not before writing his last "last album", Async (in 5.1 on an eye wateringly expensive Japanese import). This album was written after he was diagnosed with rectal cancer

Oh nice, this wasn't Atmos on release a few days ago. I didn't listen to the whole thing then, but a little bit, but I liked it.

This is, tragically, likely the last Ryuichi Sakamoto album. In 2014 he was diagnosed with throat cancer. He was able to beat it into remission, but not before writing his last "last album", Async (in 5.1 on an eye wateringly expensive Japanese import). This album was written after he was diagnosed with rectal cancer
I'm most of the way through it, and I think it's quite nice. There's at least one track where his rhythmic breathing is close-mic'd, an integral part of the soundscape. Very moving. And tragic that we may have seen the last of him, although this album seems to be his way of coming to terms with that.

Agreed: Async Surround is stupid expensive, although the US Blu-Ray version of Coda at least includes a live performance of async.

Last edited:
I don’t understand the idea that a multi channel mix can’t be “ good” unless the mixer makes very obvious use of all the channels.
I agree. To some, unless there is something discrete in every channel it's an automatic fail. More speakers does not equate to a better surround experience every time. Some of the most satisfying surround encounters I have ever experienced are simple quad.

I went to Tidal to play this but it does not seem to be a multichannel Atmos mix. I only get stereo master quality via this link. Weird
On Apple Music you have to find the single song version. The Deluxe Edition album is still entirely lossless.

Today appears to be ”announce your album day” in the indie/alternative rock space. New albums from The National, Fall Out Boy, and “supergroup” boygenius (made of Phoebe Bridgers, Lucy Dacus, and Julien Baker). Two of those are in Atmos, and have tracks available now

I'm loving boygenius, especially.
https://www.npr.org/sections/now-playing/2023/01/19/1149930157/boygenius-emily-im-sorryhttps://www.npr.org/sections/now-playing/2023/01/20/1150070813/boygenius-20

I might of spoke a bit soon regarding Pyromania, Truly a good mix, regarding the surround, definitely discrete. But a little muffled sounding.
If you take your stereo CD and crank it up, it will punch you in the face, this seems like I have Ringo's drum towels over my ears.

I listened to this last night. A fair number of discrete elements, but the mix sounds a bit amateurish and while some tunes are solid, on some others, there were odd volume disparities on guitar bursts (at least to my ears). This is supposed to be by Giles Martin? Huh. Still, well worth a listen.

has anyone listened to this? I’m giving it a listen today….typical of the strength of an ATMOS mix, you can really a lot of the details in the three guitar parts, and the piano in particular is essential to their sound but not always clearly heard in the past.

edit. Not all tracks in ATMOS

Back