Ten Years After "A Space In Time" (limited-run SDE Blu-Ray with Dolby Atmos, 5.1, and Quad shipping 3/17)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I appreciate all the disclaimers, but a lot sounds like psychobabble mumbo jumbo to me. True, great that it came out into the light at all, I'll hand them that. SDE is a great company and I don't fault them.
Like a lot of music of the time, I and many of my friends had copies of several TYA releases. Sadly, I had no quad of them at the time.
TYA got a lot of air time with this release here in the States. Those too young to remember can of course be forgiven but those of age almost certainly were aware.

TYA's performance shown on the Woodstock movie made me aware of the band & Alvin Lee's guitar work.

Space In Time was more psychedelic but they sure could do blues.

For those on the young side for TYA or only know I'd Love to Change the World, here's some live clips:

(from Woodstock)

Is the limited edition 1000 copies just hype, and this label has previously gone back and pressed more after claiming a certain number only? And that this title is obviously going to get a second run? Or is this the first time they stated 1000 only?

But at least it does show there is intense interest in Quality BD~A ATMOS/5.1/QUAD reissues of classic albums and almost assuredly, more will be pressed, as has occurred with other 'LIMITED EDITION" SDE ATMOS BD~A releases.

Perhaps the majors will take note and instead of just streaming, release more BD~A ATMOS/5.1 releases on physical disc!

Last edited:
In the UK if you make 1000 or less of a release, there is a flat fee to the Performing Rights Society. Above 1000 you actually have to work out who owns all the copyrights and figure out appropriate payments and legal deals. I have no idea whether this is relevant but since SDE seem to be UK based it might be.
I don't know anything about any Performing Rights Society legalities, but is it possible they can by-pass the Performing Rights Society limitations if they make changes somehow to the first release and then shortly thereafter release another batch (of say 1,000) with those changes?

In the UK if you make 1000 or less of a release, there is a flat fee to the Performing Rights Society. Above 1000 you actually have to work out who owns all the copyrights and figure out appropriate payments and legal deals. I have no idea whether this is relevant but since SDE seem to be UK based it might be.
Not that I expect this knowledge, but would they be able to repeat the process in a year or some other time period?

I honestly feel badly for you chaps that missed out on this, it's just not right. Selling out in about one day, I believe is a message about the growing popularity of these SDE releases; and not just the popularity of this title.
Like you, j.pupster, I also sincerely feel for all who missed out on this. I to, have missed out on many sorts of these things in the past.. (I.E. Oppo folding, & many, now OOP titles than I can name!)
FWIW, I've made a point of signing up for all notifications @ SDE & here QQ. (...& lots of other vendors, labels, etc.)
I got the notice from sde on Jan.20th @ 11:27am cst . Word of this release got posted here even eariler.. it was on Jan.20th @ 8:20am cst. by rtbluray. As soon as I saw the email from SDE, I came here & saw that posting. I then went & ordered from SDE within a few hrs.
......So I guess what I'm trying to say is I've learned to try to look at my emails for notices more often, then read them quickly & stay on top of what's happen in this regard.
Be it by mobile or by home wi-fi, or by whatever is available.... I used to ignore these notices & missed out on many, many things.
I really hope there is a 2nd pressing of this so everyone who wants this can get one at an appropriate price🙂.

Last edited:
I found out about the release of SDE TYA thanks to the QQ forum. Not subscribed to SDE, but subscribed to "Yesterday's Forum Activity QQ"

I did not know this group, except little more than its name. But with the commotion that was already being caused in this thread about the 1000 copies, I decided to buy it last Friday.

I think just in time...

But at least it does show there is intense interest in Quality BD~A ATMOS/5.1/QUAD reissues of classic albums and almost assuredly, more will be pressed, as has occurred with other 'LIMITED EDITION" SDE ATMOS BD~A releases.

Perhaps the majors will take note and instead of just streaming, release more BD~A ATMOS/5.1 releases on physical disc!

How about offer the ability to purchase the (hi-res) 5.1 versions of stuff, via download too - THAT is my main gripe! (generally, I don't need/want YET ANOTHER physical copy of an album I most likely already have more than one copy of, but I REALLY DO want to buy the hi-res, multichannel version!!! :) )

Immersive Audio just filled that niche for me for Mr Big - Lean Into It, but that's about the only title they have that interests me - I am DESPERATE for this to become more widespread - I only buy the BluRays (generally), to get to rip this stuff to file for myself anyway (unless it's bands like Pink Floyd, Supertramp, Fleetwood Mac, Alan Parsons - then I often want the "nice" boxset too, anyway) :)

Dam! I was going to buy another copy as a gift to a good audiophile-HT friend of mine on the AVSForum. He has helped me in so many ways in this hobby, including helping me lighten my wallet! ;) But sold out before I decided to enter another order as a gift for him.

He's not as fanatic about multichannel music as me but is definitely a fan. He's now pursuing a major change going to Ascendo subs, including their monster 32" infrasonic.

I had recently ripped the reversed channel DVD to give to him just 2 weeks ago & mail with some others I'm working on for him, several of those conversions done by our defunct Quadraphonic Preservation Society gang. Then along comes the email from SDE. I should have bought 2 copies when I had the chance instead of just the 1 for me. Lesson is act quickly or regret missing out.

I may have to try ripping when I get mine but not sure that would even work with the Atmos metadata. Or look at 'bay sellers and pay a scalp price for another copy.

Edit - just checked Ebay and the scalping as already begun. Seller in UK has 2 for sale at $105 ea.

Last edited:
How about offer the ability to purchase the (hi-res) 5.1 versions of stuff, via download too - THAT is my main gripe! (generally, I don't need/want YET ANOTHER physical copy of an album I most likely already have more than one copy of, but I REALLY DO want to buy the hi-res, multichannel version!!! :) )
That's not the rationale of the website. Paul's made it clear that it's about physical media, i.e. "Holding the Music in Your Hands" (as their motto goes), not streaming, or downloads.

Very annoying :mad:

Yes it is. When someone wants to sell their personal copy at a reasonable profit, I have no problem. But this seller clearly bought 2 copies of this very limited release with the intention of making a killing. In the process, depriving legit fans who didn't buy it in time. F' him.

Reminds me of the Nvidia graphic card debacle several years ago in a less extreme way. But the same greed at work.

Back