Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon - 50th Anniversary Atmos mix in 2023! (Standalone BD coming in October!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember when people were complaining of the price of Electric ladyland for $45. Then there was a price increase for Beatles box sets and people said, well it’s The Beatles after all. Then The Beatles didn’t even include the Atmos mix in the Revolver box set. Now Pink Floyd along with Rush, Kiss etc. think $300 plus are reasonably priced for a box set. Just load these box sets with Vinyl, books with old pictures and junk you will never look at again.
These box sets are being ridiculously priced and we should be laughing at the price PF is asking. Insulting but I will accept that PF doesn’t want my business.

I remember when people were complaining of the price of Electric ladyland for $45. Then there was a price increase for Beatles box sets and people said, well it’s The Beatles after all. Then The Beatles didn’t even include the Atmos mix in the Revolver box set. Now Pink Floyd along with Rush, Kiss etc. think $300 plus are reasonably priced for a box set. Just load these box sets with Vinyl, books with old pictures and junk you will never look at again.
These box sets are being ridiculously priced and we should be laughing at the price PF is asking. Insulting but I will accept that PF doesn’t want my business.
One damn album being treated like the Early Years Box is beyond stupid.

That's interesting, and tragic. No try some buy some eh?
Can’t say I’m surprised. While post-1986 Floyd has released all sorts of things in 5.1 (Dolby Audio) on Apple Music, none of the 70s 5.1 releases, including last years Animals 5.1 mix, have ever been on streaming platforms.

I don't remember too much grumbling about Electric Ladyland for $45. That was actually a good deal and a near bare-bones release. But you are right about everything else.

I realize there’s no way they could please everyone without releasing like 10 different packages. However, I think they could have made a lot more people happy if:

1. The new 50th Anniversary box contained all the content from the Immersion set plus the stuff that’s new new this box.

2. Maintain the Live at Wembley stand-alone vinyl package.

3. Release a standalone CD/Blu-ray combo with the 2023 remaster and Atmos mix.

Option #1, albeit a bit pricey at $300, would be a really nice package for those who don’t already own the Immersion set. Options #2 and #3 satisfy those who own the Immersion box and want one or both of the unique pieces from the new 50th set.

Not perfect, but addresses 75% of the criticism in my opinion.

I don't remember too much grumbling about Electric Ladyland for $45. That was actually a good deal and a near bare-bones release. But you are right about everything else.
People on that other forum were complaining about the stereo mix being too loud. Members of QQ are mostly happy for the 5.1 surround mix as I was also.

Option #1, albeit a bit pricey at $300, would be a really nice package for those who don’t already own the Immersion set.
If they're concerned about number of discs, they could easily stick the previously released bonus material (e.g. the 1972 early mix) on the Blu-Ray like Marillion have been doing. Not perfect but at least it would be there in some form.

Or an end to the greed of some record labels
I have a different reason for not opening my wallet on this one: The 5.1 SACD from a decade back is so dang good that I'd rather put my dinero towards an ATMOS physical disc that I don't have in hi-res or even a 21st century remix. Add in the $8 "Making of Dark Side" Blu-ray, which is quite entertaining, and I can be content that what I have represents one of the greatest albums of all time; which I consider Dark Side to be....

The Atmos mix will not be available on streaming platforms.
If that is true, then what a shame that would be. How many of these sets do they expect to sell, and even then, many of those who do buy it will not even have the setup with which to listen to the Atmos mix. So essentially they did the mix that perhaps only a few hundred people will ever get to hear.

If that is true, then what a shame that would be. How many of these sets do they expect to sell, and even then, many of those who do buy it will not even have the setup with which to listen to the Atmos mix. So essentially they did the mix that perhaps only a few hundred people will ever get to hear.

This appreciation reminds me the discussion I had in my youth with a friend. His appreciation was that good music ("for mainstream") is the one that everybody listen. My contestatory criteria was that the good quality music is liked by a minority of people, like the Progressive Rock (or classical).

Do they now think the same? The exceptional "Dark Side Of The Moon" in Atmos should be only for a minority of people?

Let's hope that it is a good mix. Waiting for reviews... Before buying...

I’m one of the few I guess, I’ve got a lot invested in my room, speakers and components. So I am willing to spend the $300 albeit I’d rather it be $150

This appreciation reminds me the discussion I had in my youth with a friend. His appreciation was that good music ("for mainstream") is the one that everybody listen. My contestatory criteria was that the good quality music is liked by a minority of people, like the Progressive Rock (or classical).

Do they now think the same? The exceptional "Dark Side Of The Moon" in Atmos should be only for a minority of people?

Let's hope that it is a good mix. Waiting for reviews... Before buying...
I believe that this album still holds the record for selling the most copies of anything by a British artist.
Twenty years ago it had sold over 30 million, ten years ago it was 45 million.
It's certainly been heard and purchased.

I can rarely bring myself to listen to it, even in surround, because it was so over-played on FM rock radio.

If it was streaming, only a small fraction of one percent of listeners would ever hear it on a proper home theater Atmos system.

I have ordered the coffee table book for $48 to sit on my shelf with Their Mortal Remains exhibition book and the Immersion box I waited to buy until 2019 for $75 new sealed.

What a difference a half a year makes....

Last October the PF machine released the "Animals 2018 Mix" in 4 editions + an authorized SACD :
  • Deluxe Box Set
  • Vinyl LP
  • Standard CD
  • Stand-alone Blu-ray
  • SACD
Now they do a 180 with only 2 editions (deluxe or Vinyl of the Live 1974).

Would be fascinated to hear the reasoning behind the two extreme marketing approaches.
Is it all attributed to infighting between the two key principals?

Given DSOM's sales potential over that of Animals, it seems odd that they are likely leaving money on the table without at least giving Acoustic Sounds a crack at an exclusive Blu-ray.

What a difference a half a year makes....

Last October the PF machine released the "Animals 2018 Mix" in 4 editions + an authorized SACD :
  • Deluxe Box Set
  • Vinyl LP
  • Standard CD
  • Stand-alone Blu-ray
  • SACD
Now they do a 180 with only 2 editions (deluxe or Vinyl of the Live 1974).

Would be fascinated to hear the reasoning behind the two extreme marketing approaches.
Is it all attributed to infighting between the two key principals?

Given DSOM's sales potential over that of Animals, it seems odd that they are likely leaving money on the table without at least giving Acoustic Sounds a crack at an exclusive Blu-ray.
I agree. It would be nice to understand their thought process when they made these two very opposite decisions. At least I hope there is a thought process behind it. Even if the end goal was to maximize profits there had to be a reason why one was released in one manner and the other in another manner. Baffling.

Price started to decrease today,down to 250 euros in several Amz in Europe (Spain and Germany, for example).
I hope the trend will continue, I may bite if it goes below the 200 euros

To each their own, opinion that is, 300 for this box set is in my view an insult. How many SDE blu rays can I order instead? Can't wait for concert for George and Ten Years After!!!! Tears for Fears Blu ray is excellent! I hope The Who release makes more sense
Imagine if the Tull releases were $300 and not mixed by SW. That is basically what we have here.

I think we all know what's going to happen with this release. Personally I'm going to wait until then.

To each their own, opinion that is, 300 for this box set is in my view an insult. How many SDE blu rays can I order instead? Can't wait for concert for George and Ten Years After!!!! Tears for Fears Blu ray is excellent! I hope The Who release makes more sense
The Who box likely won’t from what I’ve heard - unless they decide to release a BD-A separately (which is unlikely). Although at least for The Who box, you’ll likely get a lot more value (new material/formats) for the price.

I don’t see it as an insult though. I just view it as a no-go.

Back