YouTube getting 5.1 support?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My understanding is that dialnorm is a Dolby thing, and Tidal uses Dolby EAC3. Considering the low volume issue in the AAC output on YouTube happens with files unassociated with Dolby, I put the two issues separate. Apple is a little different because it outputs Dolby MAT, but they still start with the same original files as Tidal. At least you learned something about bandwidth and volume today which you didn't previously. Hope this helps.
All of you keep saying that there’s no relationship between volume and bandwidth, so fine, but none of you respond to my point about the compression algorithms & volume. I don’t know the answer and it seems as if none of you know either.

And that’s okay.

Note sure about your setup, but I have my Apple tv connected to the AVR with hdmi. I have the Apple tv set to send bitstream so that the AVR does the decoding and as a byproduct it (the AVR) shows the codec it is receiving. It's definitely Dolby Digital +, which as I mentioned before supports dialogue normalisation. My understanding is that this setting is what is causing the low volume.
My setup is right there in my signature, I’m using an appleTV4k into a Sony 5000ES receiver.

And am pretty sure I’m doing the same, anytime there’s an Atmos track playing, I see it right there also 🤷🏾‍♂️

Last edited:
If my original respondent had simply said, “Dolby has volume tags that they use & so it’s probably there,” we’d have had no problem … instead I get condescending responses about sample rates and bit depth.

But I guess I’M the bad guy🤡

Note sure about your setup, but I have my Apple tv connected to the AVR with hdmi. I have the Apple tv set to send bitstream so that the AVR does the decoding and as a byproduct it (the AVR) shows the codec it is receiving. It's definitely Dolby Digital +, which as I mentioned before supports dialogue normalisation. My understanding is that this setting is what is causing the low volume.
My receiver also shows my decoded 5.1 files from my YouTube 5.1 channel to be Digital Dolby D on my Sony Receiver when properly decoded to 5.1.

From what I have heard & read, it seems like all the surround streaming services seem to have low volume issues & the more I read about these volume issues, the less I understand about it.

I did find this about Digital Dolby at Technology Dolby Audio Dolby Digital Plus | Dolby Developer
It does say 384k bit rate is supported which seems to be what YouTube 5.1 is sending in a AAC wrapping is Digital Dolby. They may even support Atmos mixes with this bit rate.

See Himey's previous post near the bottom of previous page 5 for all the details of the YouTube 5.1 stream he shows.

Rog

If my original respondent had simply said, “Dolby has volume tags that they use & so it’s probably there,” we’d have had no problem … instead I get condescending responses about sample rates and bit depth.

But I guess I’M the bad guy🤡
Maybe if you say condescending three more times, and click your heels, the answer to the low volume question will magically appear?

My receiver also shows my decoded 5.1 files from my YouTube 5.1 channel to be Digital Dolby D on my Sony Receiver when properly decoded to 5.1.

From what I have heard & read, it seems like all the surround streaming services seem to have low volume issues & the more I read about these volume issues, the less I understand about it.

I did find this about Digital Dolby at Technology Dolby Audio Dolby Digital Plus | Dolby Developer
It does say 384k bit rate is supported which seems to be what YouTube 5.1 is sending in a AAC wrapping is Digital Dolby. They may even support Atmos mixes with this bit rate.

See Himey's previous post near the bottom of previous page 5 for all the details of the YouTube 5.1 stream he shows.

Rog

That wasn't me. I am only showing 5.1 AAC audio. @jamesc was the one who posted the yt.dl format list, which included DD+.

That wasn't me. I am only showing 5.1 AAC audio. @jamesc was the one who posted the yt.dl format list, which included DD+.
This is what I saw you post about my 5.1 test file from my 5.1 YouTube channel ---

"Working as expected!
Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC LC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity
Codec ID : mp4a-40-2
Duration : 1 min 33 s
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 384 kb/s
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel layout : C L R Ls Rs LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 46.875 FPS (1024 SPF)
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 4.29 MiB (98%)
Default : Yes
Alternate group : 1"

Which shows a bit rate of 384 kbs which is likely Digital Dolby in the AAC LC format you list.

Rog

This is what I saw you post about my 5.1 test file from my 5.1 YouTube channel ---

"Working as expected!
Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC LC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity
Codec ID : mp4a-40-2
Duration : 1 min 33 s
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 384 kb/s
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel layout : C L R Ls Rs LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 46.875 FPS (1024 SPF)
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 4.29 MiB (98%)
Default : Yes
Alternate group : 1"

Which shows a bit rate of 384 kbs which is likely Digital Dolby in the AAC LC format you list.

Rog
Thanks. I didn't realize AAC was a container for DD. I did a few searches and everything I stumbled across showed them being two different things.

Thanks. I didn't realize AAC was a container for DD. I did a few searches and everything I stumbled across showed them being two different things.
I am not sure it is either but as it is all very confusing to me. I am assuming it might be since my Sony Receiver says it is decoding Digital Dolby D from the Roku box but possibly the Roku box is changing it also.

All I know it is it is providing 5.1 surround sound which I am happy about but do wish the volume was higher but since YouTube is changing this when they encode the correct volume high quality mkv file I upload to them, I don't have anyway to really fix the issue. I wish YouTube would provide mkv files but that would take up much more bandwidth for them so we are really lucky to get what we can I guess.

I have tried sending YouTube different file types & what I have found is they only accept mp4 or mkv that I know of so far.

Rog

I am not sure it is either but as it is all very confusing to me. I am assuming it might be since my Sony Receiver says it is decoding Digital Dolby D from the Roku box but possibly the Roku box is changing it also.

All I know it is it is providing 5.1 surround sound which I am happy about but do wish the volume was higher but since YouTube is changing this when they encode the correct volume high quality mkv file I upload to them, I don't have anyway to really fix the issue. I wish YouTube would provide mkv files but that would take up much more bandwidth for them so we are really lucky to get what we can I guess.

I have tried sending YouTube different file types & what I have found is they only accept mp4 or mkv that I know of so far.

Rog
As it stands now, I believe it is device dependent what format is outputted. Thankfully AAC sounds fine on my setup. I have only listened to the Yes King Biscuit so far. I have better versions of the other things, but I will try some of the other stuff, including upmixes as they are added.

As it stands now, I believe it is device dependent what format is outputted. Thankfully AAC sounds fine on my setup. I have only listened to the Yes King Biscuit so far. I have better versions of the other things, but I will try some of the other stuff, including upmixes as they are added.
Please take a listen to my 5.1 mixes when you get a chance as I have feedback that people really like them. Since this is a new channel for YouTube, they now have a new policy so they are limiting my uploads to about 7 songs per 24 hours so I have to wait a few more hours to add any more songs. This will go away after 2 months if I have no issues with my channel they say.

Rog

Please take a listen to my 5.1 mixes when you get a chance as I have feedback that people really like them. Since this is a new channel for YouTube, they now have a new policy so they are limiting my uploads to about 7 songs per 24 hours so I have to wait a few more hours to add any more songs. This will go away after 2 months if I have no issues with my channel they say.

Rog
I will definitely check them out.

I finally figured out how to get every audio option. I compared ac3, eac3, and aac, and they all seem to be the same file size so I doubt any of them will sound better than the other if the bitrattes are equal (384).

Rog
I listened to your Styx upmix and was very impressed, keep up the good work, and more rock music please 🤞

I will definitely check them out.

I finally figured out how to get every audio option. I compared ac3, eac3, and aac, and they all seem to be the same file size so I doubt any of them will sound better than the other if the bitrattes are equal (384).
All I have read is the later the file type generally the better the sound for a given bit rate as compression algorithms improve.

I listened to your Styx upmix and was very impressed, keep up the good work, and more rock music please 🤞
Thanks for listening & glad you liked the mix. Right now I am putting up a wide variety of music types for people to hear but I mainly do surround mixes of rock songs from the late 50s to early 80s.

My upload limit was just reached so no more new songs till tomorrow.

Rog

Last edited:
All I have read is the later the file type generally the better the sound for a given bit rate as compression algorithms improve.
I am going with eac3 over aac because I can bitstream the format if need be. I doubt anyone could tell the difference between the two, bitstreamed or otherwise.

Thanks for listening & glad you liked the mix. Right now I am putting up a wide variety of music types for people to hear but I mainly do surround mixes of rock songs from the late 50s to early 80s.

My upload limit was just reached so no more new songs till tomorrow.

Rog
Apeman and Peggy Lee stood out nicely after first listen to them all.

Back