Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To hear (or add to your library) just the album proper in Atmos:

Thanks!

Lanois produced one of my favorite albums, Emmylou Harris’s Wrecking Ball, and I love his work on Oh Mercy (among others). That said, much as I love half of this album (oddly the odd numbered tracks), the other half has pushed me away despite periodic revisits.

I’ve wanted a Bootleg Series entry for this forever, and Vol. 8 just whet the appetite. That’s a lotta years in between. So the fact that this exists and includes a remix AND a surround mix is a gift within a gift within a gift, no matter whether the new mixes are a mixed bag?

How couldn’t they be? According to Mark Howard, who did this new mix, there were in the neighborhood of twelve instruments played on the tracks, each isolated enough that it seems countless instrumental combinations could be made around Dylan’s vocals. To my knowledge, this is unique in his catalogue, and it’s a surround dream to think of how many ways this album could be revisited.

I’m rambling.

Thanks again. You’ve made my day, and no doubt a few other days, too.

Last edited:

The complete Time Out of Mind album is mixed into surround, the bonus tracks are not. The Atmos mix downmixes to 5.1 quite nicely. Nice and discrete.
So happy this came out for the 25th anniversary, not the 50th, because Bob & I won't be around that long.
So many great musicians on this, and as noted below, the last album he used an outside producer on.
To me, Texan Augie Meyers from the Sir Douglas Quinet is the secret weapon, along with Tony Garnier on bass.

Just finished Tryin' to Get to Heaven, which is still poignant for those of us who remember the health scare before the album was released.
Dylan was hospitalized with a life-threatening heart infection, pericarditis, brought on by histoplasmosis. His scheduled European tour was canceled, but Dylan made a speedy recovery and left the hospital saying, "I really thought I'd be seeing Elvis soon"

Drums - Jim Keltner
Keyboards - Jim Dickinson
Slide guitar - Cindy Cashdollar
L5 electric - Duke Robillard

https://superdeluxeedition.com/reviews/bob-dylan-fragments-time-out-of-mind-sessions-1996-1997-2/
https://dylanlive.substack.com/p/a-listening-guide-to-the-time-out

Gregory Porter's Take Me to the Alley is listed under Just Released on Tidal. Found out I have overlooked that two of his other albums are out in atmos as well. I need to catch up on these through the weekend. He has such an amazing voice. Hopefully my favorite album Liquid Spirits will also be given the atmos treatment soon.

This one seems to be out of reach for me here in the USA; anyone else seeing it?

The complete Time Out of Mind album is mixed into surround, the bonus tracks are not. The Atmos mix downmixes to 5.1 quite nicely. Nice and discrete.
Listening to this at work right now, stereo via the PC only, excellent music to wind down the week. Looking forward to listening again at home for the surround.
I noticed my CD's arrived at home from Amazon about a hour ago. I really like these Dylan CD box sets. My favorite so far is Travelin' Thru with Johnny Cash. The one I like the least, must be 50 million songs, is 1966 Live in Europe.

Thanks to @mkt for posting a story about Lars Nilsson's Nilento Studios earlier today. I've been making my way through his Atmos mixes available on Apple Music, and so far, the following three are knocking me out. I think somebody mentioned guitarist Mats Bergström's performance of Steve Reich's "Electric Counterpoint" before, and I'd forgotten what a crazy-good mix it is. New to me was jazz trombonist Nils Landgren's sweet vocal album--hey, Jack Teagarden could pull it off; why not Landgren?--The Moon, The Stars, and You (with guest spots from Joe Sample and Steve Gadd, among others). And I think Peter Mattei's album of Mahler lieder may be my new go-to for the Fahrenden Gesellen, and possibly the Knaben Wunderhorn too.

I love Nilsson's style of Atmos mixing--he's a believer in finding effective ways to use the heights for all styles and genres, including classical and small-group acoustic jazz.

Last edited:
I would have loved a physical release of this, but at least we're getting a digital one...
Sigur Ros - ( )

7689DE0B-91DF-4A87-B593-83A4FE3F944A.jpg

Iggy PopEvery Loser
Wasn't expecting this one, but it's got a mix now!
And two balls.
https://tidal.com/album/272455524
Really enjoying this. Maybe not an award-winning mix (I'm hearing it in 5.1), but effective enough, and the songs and performances are basic but great... it rocks. I'm not the biggest Iggy/Stooges fan but this seems to be a return to form (if he ever had a form!). He and Keith Richards must have made the same deal with the devil...

The real deal.
From PeterGabriel.com:
Much like with the Bright and Dark-Side mixes, all the tracks from i/o will get the In-Side treatment too, and can be heard on Apple Music and Amazon.
Buff is doing these immersive mixes for Atmos and doing a wonderful job. The way people consume sound, songs and music now is 60-70% through headphones so that gives us, as creators, a chance – especially with these headphones that allow you some kind of three-dimensional illusion – of putting people right inside the three-dimensional space. What’s amazing about that is with stereo you’ve got some senses of up and down but how do you fill that space across? In this three-dimensional world it’s like you’re taking off in a balloon and you can suddenly see all around and you can position things very carefully and make events happen in space. A spatial composition. I think Buff has a great attitude to all that, so I’m learning, and I hope some of you get a chance to check these mixes out.
Buff and Peter have used the technology specifically as a creative tool, as Buff explains further:
3D music, as presented in Dolby Atmos, is SO much more than moving sounds all over the place. It’s not just a new way of mixing, it’s a way of making music that’s bigger and more rewarding than anything that came before. Peter gets it. To him, stereo and 3D versions don’t have to match, they just “both have to be great.” and to me, that is a creative dream come true. I get to bring anything to the table I can possibly imagine in order to fill Real World Studios’ Red Room with music. I get to streamline, I get to focus, I get to embellish, and I get to rough up the sounds that make up Peter’s arrangements. I get to emphasise, to hide, and I even get to record specifically for the immersive Peter Gabriel, and in the end, Peter will be in the room to be the judge of what’s best for his new songs. “When people want to know what great Atmos can be, I want them to listen to this,” he says. I think we’re well on our way.

… Peter (Gabriel) will be in the room to be the judge of what’s best for his new songs. “When people want to know what great Atmos can be, I want them to listen to this,” he says. I think we’re well on our way.

Please, please Peter, I want to hear ALL you music in Atmos!

For those curious about the Dylan Time Out of Mind mix, a user at SH (matt79rome89) just posted this track by track set of observations. Here’s how he leads things off:

Overall this is a very enjoyable and unique listen. Definitely gets close to that experience several have mentioned as the goal of the session: Dylan in the center of the room with musician’s all around. A few track notes for those asking about the Atmos version specifically:

Note: he’s using Sonos Arc. That said, he articulates what he heard well and comes across as a close listener.

Last edited:
Back