Simply random stuff

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although I’m (thankfully) not famous, I’m a bit surprised that I’m 75. I like to think I’ve got 30 decent years left, but I’m also painfully aware that my high school’s reunion list is rapidly shrinking.
Well I don't keep in touch with the people I went to school with, but my best friend was aware of who was around and who wasn't until he passed two years ago. I have to say there are more younger siblings left than actual classmates AFAIK.
I'm not quite as "ancient" as you. I was born in '50.
I'm gonna live until I can get that new android body. :unsure:

To my surprise Grace Slick has more than a few years on Linda Ronstadt. I think a lot of us guys were in deep committed love to one or both back in the day. The only time I saw Grace & The Airplane live was when she was very pregnant. She looked like she felt miserable. Tiny amps on stage no mix board... maybe the worst live concert I ever attended. Still, like Linda, lovely eyes.
When Starship played the Knebworth Festival in 1978 I was gutted to find that that Grace Slick had left the band

Well I don't keep in touch with the people I went to school with, but my best friend was aware of who was around and who wasn't until he passed two years ago.
A couple of decades ago, I volunteered to make and keep a database for reunions. The class was over 1,000 grads. We’re about half that now, just from the ones I’ve been able to find out about.

Although I’m (thankfully) not famous, I’m a bit surprised that I’m 75. I like to think I’ve got 30 decent years left, but I’m also painfully aware that my high school’s reunion list is rapidly shrinking.
I know that feeling well. I'm 74, and it seems people I was good friends with in high school are no longer with us. My health is decent, aside from a bad case of arthritis in my knee. My mind still thinks I'm in my 30's, but my body has other ideas.

One of my favorite phrases is “My body keeps telling me, ‘Jim, you’re not 30 anymore.’”

It happened yesterday when I replaced a bathroom fan. Lots of leaning backwards and poking around in the crawlspace.
As they say, "You know you're getting old when you can still get it up, but can't remember what for."

Jpup, could you clarify on that willie atmos album, is it a physical release? Or Tidal or Apple? I would love to have it.
Sure, it’s a damn shame because it’s only streaming. I have Apple TV 4K, don’t know squat about Tidal. The album has a nice smooth, dare I say… analog sound to it. None of that crispy crap often associated with streaming (mastering on some stuff probably has more to do with that than the streaming compression.)

But overall I love the compositions and lyrics on the album; and the mix. However, I can only do 5.1 so far.

Sure, it’s a damn shame because it’s only streaming. I have Apple TV 4K, don’t know squat about Tidal. The album has a nice smooth, dare I say… analog sound to it. None of that crispy crap often associated with streaming (mastering on some stuff probably has more to do with that than the streaming compression.)

But overall I love the compositions and lyrics on the album; and the mix. However, I can only do 5.1 so far.
Ah so only on Apple.
Jpup you really gotta go Atmos. I mean, you obviously are a surround fan and only you can say if the idea of a more "immersive" format would suit you, but for me even the streaming downloads take on a much more enveloping presence (when done well!). Of course some of the BD's in Atmos are done quite well, some not so much but it is what it is. Overall....well I love it. I had to stretch my budget out to by a new AVR but it can be done on the cheap with two used AVR's. But we've talked about that so...I know these things aren't always easy to do, location, set up, etc can be challenging, for sure.
(rambling on)
I used to have a great audio set up in the living room, spacious, speakers spread out pretty well and an optimal listening position. I moved all the audio gear into a smaller bedroom, my pc room, and it's a really challenging setup. But if not ideal, it works thanks to a great speaker setup program (Dirac).

Back