Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you recall, the FIRST pressings of Madman had a defective BD~A disc and replacements were offered ...... I was cautious ordering this title because who knows if that $14 deal includes the 'corrected' version!
Yeah, I thought about that. I'm not too worried one way or the other. Like I said, I already have the sacd, so for $14 I am mainly buying it because it's so damn cheap.

BTW, shouldn't I still be able to get a replacement disc if that is the case?

That price of $14 is interesting, very interesting. I posted a similar deal alert on the EJ "Madman Across The Water" deluxe edition (regular price mid-$60s) at about the same time. That was also listed as $14. I ordered it and got confirmation that it shipped today.
Right!?! I was wondering what the funk was going down with so many different things, different media being priced at $14! Ultimately, i ordered six items. I have received notification that all six have shipped. We shall see! Peace

Yeah, I thought about that. I'm not too worried one way or the other. Like I said, I already have the sacd, so for $14 I am mainly buying it because it's so damn cheap.

BTW, shouldn't I still be able to get a replacement disc if that is the case?
Have NO idea how long those 'replacement' discs are being offered for. A GREAT price, indeed! Hope it pans out for you.

AmazonUS 'lightning' deals are just that .......usually expire within hours!

If you recall, the FIRST pressings of Madman had a defective BD~A disc and replacements were offered ...... I was cautious ordering this title because who knows if that $14 deal includes the 'corrected' version!
I got the corrected version in Nov while doing holiday shopping so you are likely OK there.

I watched Paul Schrader's 'reimagining' of CAT PEOPLE from an absolutely stunning Native UHD4K remaster [HDR10/Dolby Vision/DTS~HD MA 5.1] and it was akin to watching it for the first time even though I had it on Laserdisc and BD~V.

I really don't think of it as a remake of the Val Lewton classic...but rather a highly stylized and erotic entity unto itself.

Shout Factory's 4K upgrade, IMO, was breathtaking and I can highly recommend it to fans of the macabre. Now ON SALE @ AmazonUS for $21.99.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Cat-People-4K-Blu-ray/314643/#Review

Thanks 4ears I have the prior bluray release and this one appears to be the same remaster. I will have to watch it again and continue to not understand it......
Jeffie, if you read the review, Kino Lorber wanted to release THE LADY FROM SHANGHAI in Native 4K but SONY who prepared the master said NO....seems perhaps SONY may release it in 4K at a later date. Yes, another 'confusing' Wellesian masterpiece!

Last edited:
Right!?! I was wondering what the funk was going down with so many different things, different media being priced at $14! Ultimately, i ordered six items. I have received notification that all six have shipped. We shall see! Peace
My order just got cancelled and a refund issued. There was no reason given for the cancellation.

Are yours still on the way?

My order just got cancelled and a refund issued. There was no reason given for the cancellation.

Are yours still on the way?
Grr! Turns out i actually ordered seven items! I thought i ordered six because i got notification that six had shipped. This evening, i received a $14 refund that reminded me i ordered 7 items! The one that they cancelled was an LP. According to amazon, the six are still on the way, but when i click on "track package," i get the info to contact the seller who "may have shipping information." I'm going to be patient and wait and see . . . patiently . . . and hopefully! Peace(fully)

Grr! Turns out i actually ordered seven items! I thought i ordered six because i got notification that six had shipped. This evening, i received a $14 refund that reminded me i ordered 7 items! The one that they cancelled was an LP. According to amazon, the six are still on the way, but when i click on "track package," i get the info to contact the seller who "may have shipping information." I'm going to be patient and wait and see . . . patiently . . . and hopefully! Peace(fully)
Good luck. I hope the other six make it to you.

Good luck. I hope the other six make it to you.
And then there were none: woke up to a barrage of refund emails from amazon. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted! I'll wait for the Criterion 1/2 sale as well . . . and enjoy the media i already own in the meantime! Sorry to all for this debacle! I guess if it sounds too good to be true, . . . Peace!

And then there were none: woke up to a barrage of refund emails from amazon. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted! I'll wait for the Criterion 1/2 sale as well . . . and enjoy the media i already own in the meantime! Sorry to all for this debacle! I guess if it sounds too good to be true, . . . Peace!
Sorry to hear this but not surprised. :mad:

Whatever happened to the days when Amazon honored their commitments even if it cost them (they can afford it)?

Sorry to hear this but not surprised. :mad:

Whatever happened to the days when Amazon honored their commitments even if it cost them (they can afford it)?
Ha! That's exactly the question i posed to the seller; perhaps i should pose it to amazon customer support . . . or perhaps i should just let it go and get surrounded by music! Peace

Paramount Picture's amazing 1080p restoration of Barry Levinson's YOUNG SHERLOCK HOLMES in a very limited Steelbook Edition for $17.99 @ AmazonUS. Produced by Steven Spielberg and written by Chris Columbus, I naturally grabbed one for my collection. Audio is True HD 5.1

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Young-Sherlock-Holmes-Blu-ray/28256/#UserReviews
61LgloBy4yL._SL1024_.jpg

Compliance (2012) BD:

1. I really enjoyed this when it came out and gave it a second spin last night - nothing quite like it. A true story and pretty insane.

2. DTS-MA 5.1 has pretty constant surround activity throughout from the score and ambient effects which is well done considering it's pretty much set in quiet environments. Way more surround activity than most other movies. There are a few wall-rattling lows in there too which was a pleasant surprise.

3. I got this one: https://www.amazon.com/Compliance-Blu-ray-Ann-Dowd/dp/B009OCR1OI/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=compliance+blu+ray&qid=1675797138&sprefix=compliance+blu,aps,289&sr=8-1

4. The only other decent "phone call" movie that springs to mind with great audio is The Guilty (the original Danish one!) that you can get here and is definitely worth a spin or 2: https://www.amazon.com/Guilty-Blu-ray-Jakob-Cedergren/dp/B07J35GDMB/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3PR7G6LARPUON&keywords=the+guilty+blu+ray&qid=1675797153&sprefix=the+guilty+blu+ray,aps,279&sr=8-1

Warner Brothers will be celebrating their 100th Anniversary by releasing 30 of their classic films in UHD4K via a commemorative box set:

All of this is building toward a massive 30-film Warner Bros. 100th Anniversary 4K Studio Collection box set on 9/18 in the UK (the US street date would presumably be 9/19), that will include 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968), Casablanca (1942), Citizen Kane (1941), Cool Hand Luke (1967), East of Eden (1955), The Maltese Falcon (1941), Rebel Without a Cause (1955), Rio Bravo (1959), Singin’ in the Rain (1952), The Wizard of Oz (1939), A Clockwork Orange (1971), Batman (1989), Beetlejuice (1988), Blade Runner(1982), Enter the Dragon (1973), The Exorcist (1973), The Goonies (1985), Superman: The Movie (1978), The Shining (1980), Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory (1971), A Star is Born (2018), Argo (2012), Elvis(2022), Goodfellas (1990), It (2017), Mad Max: Fury Road (2015), The Matrix (1999), The Shawshank Redemption (1994), Training Day (2001), and Unforgiven (1992). You’ll also get a 8 pins featuring the different WB logo over time, a 32-page booklet and other premium extras. Here’s what the box will look like...

Warner Bros. 100th Anniversary 4K Studio Collection box set

Back