Classical in surround [your favorites?]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited:
Just received word that TACET has put out Mahler's 9th in surround. Don't do streaming, physical media or nothing (so far), and
so I'll get this. Hey, I have all their surrounds, why stop now? :rolleyes:.

[edit: hmmm. Only available as streaming? Grrrr. Must enquire. . . .]
Not streaming. Download.
Tacet.JPG

None bad but a mixed bag with some curious choices. No statement about how this was arrived at.
We discussed having a must-haves or musical primer a week ago in our zoom call, but not sure at all who voted on these (not me). Kal, I am VERY sure that any input from you would be valuable. The goal is simply to highlight "classic classicals" if you will. :)

We discussed having a must-haves or musical primer a week ago in our zoom call, but not sure at all who voted on these (not me). Kal, I am VERY sure that any input from you would be valuable. The goal is simply to highlight "classic classicals" if you will. :)
Thanks but I don't know anything about the zoom call or the process. For example, I'd like someone to justify the inclusion of this one. I've never heard it or heard of it but there are a few acknowledged outstanding available alternatives, some in original high-rez/multichannel. I have several.
812864019667-1-600x600.jpg

Kal, first off we have a limited pool, our partner labels. I think the composition is king, not necessarily the performance, so if you have better Requiems in our label family, speak up. That's all I'm saying.

Kal, first off we have a limited pool, our partner labels. I think the composition is king, not necessarily the performance, so if you have better Requiems in our label family, speak up. That's all I'm saying.
Slim pickings for this major piece at NativeDSD but this one is pretty good.
18102-1-500x500.jpg

It is easily recommendable but not my first choice widely. As I say, I've never heard or heard of the recommended one. If I was to suggest one, my first choice would be Mackerrass/SCO on Linn but that's not in your catalog.

I think the piano he's using sounds fine. And his reasons for using it make perfect sense, since Mozart would be composing the orchestral parts around the tonality of that particular piano.

I'm going to bite on this boxed set, found it for $90 shipped on eBay.

Thanks for the replies. You've sent me in the right direction and I'll start accumulating as budget allows. :)

In other news, I finally had a chance to dip into the first SACD in the Mozart piano concertos boxed set. The 'age accurate' piano (wtf it's called) has an interesting sound profile that falls somewhere between a harpsichord and modern grand piano. Reminds me of the more familiar upright piano. My grandparents had a player piano (upright) I would bang on as a kid, sounds like a tinnier version of that. The mixes are good, not a 'listener in the center' mix but the small hall effect works just fine for casual living room listening. For the price and sheer volume of music, it was the right call. It's going to be a while until I make my way to the Beethoven Sonatas discs.

Got an extra 10% off both, so also purchased this Beethoven Sonatas boxed set. That ought to keep us busy for a while. I'll give my wallet some time to relax until the next run. lol

Thanks for the BIS lead, they have a bunch of good releases in surround.
The Beethoven set sounds great, because it's solo piano there's not a lot of need for the rears but it does have a pleasant "live" feel with the space's natural reverb. These box sets are a steal for the volume of content they provide. Now I have to consider seeking out some more composers/releases when I'm done with the Beethoven set. Classical is nice for sitting around the living room decompressing after work.

Back