Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can someone do me a favor? Go to the Rolling Stones Honk, in ATMOS, and play Wild Horses.

Does the acoustic guitar that plays through the right ish channels sound incredibly distorted? I mean it’s awful, and I’m not hearing problems like this on other recordings.. just want to rule out a potential problem with my system, or my ears!

there’s two mixes on this record, they are both distorted but the one labeled 2009 mix is really really bad.
Listening now. Not hearing distortion. It’s the Wild Horses (2009 Mix) from the regular edition. Not hearing distortion on the Deluxe version either, although that one doesn’t say 2009 Mix.

Oh yeah... Apple Music version, not Tidal.

Listening now. Not hearing distortion. It’s the Wild Horses (2009 Mix) from the regular edition. Not hearing distortion on the Deluxe version either, although that one doesn’t say 2009 Mix.

Oh yeah... Apple Music version, not Tidal.
Thanks, just to confirm, you are listening to ATMOS?

Yes, I am listening to the Apple Music Honk Atmos mix and Wild Horses (2009) sounds fine (although the Atmos mix is almost non-existent, but we knew that I guess).

I reported back a few months ago that I would get horrible distortion in certain channels on Apple Music (Atmos) every once in a while, but it hasn't happened in months. And when it went into that mode it would happen on most selections (kinda like a synch problem of sorts).

Yes, I am listening to the Apple Music Honk Atmos mix and Wild Horses (2009) sounds fine (although the Atmos mix is almost non-existent, but we knew that I guess).

I reported back a few months ago that I would get horrible distortion in certain channels on Apple Music (Atmos) every once in a while, but it hasn't happened in months. And when it went into that mode it would happen on most selections (kinda like a synch problem of sorts).
I had that with Moving Pictures from Rush about a month or so ago. Rear speaker had some distortion in just one song that drove me nuts.

Didn’t know if it was a speaker or wiring problem even though it wasn't replicated with other music. And then the next day it was fine.

I suppose that’s another argument in favor of owning physical media. ;)

The renderer affects all modes/all configurations, but I believe the (somewhat vague and ambiguous) language of the newest update implied that it was the headphone renderer that most benefited from this latest round of improvements.

That said: I also want to say that streaming Atmos now sounds sharper on my living room ATV4K/5.1.4 system than it did before, but I've got no objective proof. As @marcb says, it may just be placebo effect or expectation bias.

https://professional.dolby.com/product/dolby-atmos-content-creation/dolby-atmos-renderer/
On my 5.1 system, I haven't noticed much if any difference since upgrading my ATV4K to tvOS 16.3. It still sounds quite acceptable to me, if the mix is good and if it downmixes well on my non-Atmos receiver.

But after I played my Larks' Tongues in Aspic DVD-A today, any Apple mix I put on couldn't hold a candle to what I'd just thrilled to!

Amazon is only doing ATMOS 2 channel for headphones and not ATMOS home theatre.
It was reported in another thread that as of a few days ago, Amazon Music had quietly enabled Atmos via HDMI to AVRs on Fire Stick and Cube. I no longer have an Amazon Music HD subscription, so I haven't verified this for myself, but see also @olgitnorm's post above.

It was reported in another thread that as of a few days ago, Amazon Music had quietly enabled Atmos via HDMI to AVRs on Fire Stick and Cube. I no longer have an Amazon Music HD subscription, so I haven't verified this for myself, but see also @olgitnorm's post above.
Can confirm Atmos playable via 4K max Firestick, as that’s what I’m using, just took the 30 day free offer for Amazon Music and works ok, no easier to actually find their Atmos content though

WHAATT? Time to test this out.

I did. I didn't have a lot of time, but after having to fiddle with my Fire Stick app settings (enabling spatial audio) and turning my AVR on and off again, it worked. ATMOS through Amazon Music HD. BUT, searching is going to be a freaking nightmare. Many albums in ATMOS show on the app in lists as Ultra HD and only show as ATMOS AND Ultra HD when you actually play that album. I haven't tried searching on the mobile app yet (the Tidal workaround).

Back