Listening now to this stereo/mono CD.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tiger Okoshi COLOR OF SOIL [JVC XRCD2] When the Kobe earthquake hit Japan in January of 1995, Tiger recorded this live to two track outing commemorating the many loss of lives and property suffered during this debacle. Mastered by Alan Yoshida of Perfect Wave fame. A Stunner! Featuring Kenny Baron on Piano!

https://elusivedisc.com/tiger-okoshi-color-of-soil-xrcd2/

Tiger Okoshi Color of Soil (CD, JVC XRCD2) | eBay

https://www.allmusic.com/album/colo...ew,Barron on piano and Hank Roberts on cello.

Last edited:
William Ackerman CONFERRING WITH THE MOON [Windham Hill Records] As founder of Windham Hill Records, Ackerman has released many exceptional albums but this remains one of my favs. Simply GLORIOUS!

William Ackerman - Conferring With The Moon (1986, White label, Vinyl ...
So many great albums and artists from Windham Hill. I used to have a bunch from a radio station I worked at, but WH wasn’t within the format of the station so staff could usually grab them. Sadly, I don’t have as many any more after various moves. But I’ve still got stuff like Kit Walker, Michael Hedges, Michael Manring, Montreux and others.

Had some Ackerman, George Winston and Liz Story but those got misplaced over the years which is unfortunate.

So I posted this in the blues thread but it’s been a year since anyone else has posted there so I’m gonna slip it in here. Some really fine tunes. Be nice if Gerry was still with us………..

Attachments

• AB115B06-58A8-41CE-A952-BA4FE9845A93.jpeg
    AB115B06-58A8-41CE-A952-BA4FE9845A93.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
619C9871-DA86-4AB7-80BF-026B044F26DF.jpeg

Frank Soda - Saturday Night Getaway

Fairly pedestrian early 80’s rock from a little known Canadian artist. His third and last album.
4 of the 10 tracks are re-recordings of songs from his first album (In the Tube, as a member of The Imps).

So many great albums and artists from Windham Hill. I used to have a bunch from a radio station I worked at, but WH wasn’t within the format of the station so staff could usually grab them. Sadly, I don’t have as many any more after various moves. But I’ve still got stuff like Kit Walker, Michael Hedges, Michael Manring, Montreux and others.

Had some Ackerman, George Winston and Liz Story but those got misplaced over the years which is unfortunate.
Fortunately, Blackwood, a lot of the Windham Hill catalogue has been transferred to some exceptional sounding RBCDs and a LOT of samplers exist on the new and especially used market ... and some of the LOW LOW prices will amaze you:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=windham+...dham+hill+records,popular,71&ref=nb_sb_noss_2
And thanks to Audio Fidelity, one of guitarist Michael Hedges albums AERIAL BOUNDARIES is available on Stereo SACD:

https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=11085

Fortunately, Blackwood, a lot of the Windham Hill catalogue has been transferred to some exceptional sounding RBCDs and a LOT of samplers exist on the new and especially used market ... and some of the LOW LOW prices will amaze you:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=windham+...dham+hill+records,popular,71&ref=nb_sb_noss_2
And thanks to Audio Fidelity, one of guitarist Michael Hedges albums AERIAL BOUNDARIES is available on Stereo SACD:

https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=11085
I do have the Hedges SACD. He was probably my favorite of the WH artists. A shame Breakfast In The Field didn’t get the same AF treatment.

Imagine what we would have been doing on the guitar at this point had he not passed away.

I do have the Hedges SACD. He was probably my favorite of the WH artists. A shame Breakfast In The Field didn’t get the same AF treatment.

Imagine what he would have been doing on the guitar at this point had he not passed away.
From a DVD of Michael Hedge's performing:

And testimonials after his death from some pretty astounding rock luminaries:

Quotations about Hedges "I feel I can always hear his heart when he plays. He respected my playing too, and that simply thrills me." – Pete Townshend "Michael was unique. His music transcends genre and trend. It's truly musical, fun and enlightening." – Steve Vai "His playing has a feel and timbre all its own – technically brilliant, but always organic and true." – Joe Satriani "One of the most brilliant musicians in America." – David Crosby "I considered him to be a genius and when he died I lost a great friend." – Graham Nash "There was simply no one like him." – Bonnie Raitt "He was a real musician who remained humble even through stardom. A rare breed indeed." – Alvin Lee

From a DVD of Michael Hedge's performing:

And testimonials after his death from some pretty astounding rock luminaries:

Quotations about Hedges "I feel I can always hear his heart when he plays. He respected my playing too, and that simply thrills me." – Pete Townshend "Michael was unique. His music transcends genre and trend. It's truly musical, fun and enlightening." – Steve Vai "His playing has a feel and timbre all its own – technically brilliant, but always organic and true." – Joe Satriani "One of the most brilliant musicians in America." – David Crosby "I considered him to be a genius and when he died I lost a great friend." – Graham Nash "There was simply no one like him." – Bonnie Raitt "He was a real musician who remained humble even through stardom. A rare breed indeed." – Alvin Lee

I saw him play at a winery in California many, many years ago. Late 80s probably. Michael Manring was playing that night as well. It was outdoors with people sitting on blankets on the ground and a mellow vibe which makes sense at a winery.

Unfortunately, I have a rotten memory for musical details of concerts.

But the one thing I do remember was some guy constantly yelling out, “Play Captain Rickover!!!” Don’t know why he was referring to the song that way. Probably too much wine.

The guy’s yelling bugged the crap out of me. I’m one of those “Let’s all just listen quietly and then go nuts when the song is over” people. (Had a similar experience at a Larry Carlton concert.) I tried to give him the stink eye once and he just smiled at me... which pissed me off even more.

It’s annoying that I can’t recall details of Michael's actual playing that night. I was witnessing greatness on an instrument and I have some drunk guy as my main memory.

A nice box set would not go unappreciated.

Last edited:
I saw him play at a winery in California many, many years ago. Late 80s probably. Michael Manring was playing that night as well. It was outdoors with people sitting on blankets on the ground and a mellow vibe which makes sense at a winery.

Unfortunately, I have a rotten memory for musical details of concerts which is unfortunate.

But the one thing I do remember was some guy constantly yelling out, “Play Captain Rickover!!!” Don’t know why he was referring to the song that way. Probably too much wine.

The guy’s yelling bugged the crap out of me. I’m one of those “Let’s all just listen quietly and then go nuts when the song is over” people. (Had a similar experience at a Larry Carlton concert.) I tried to give him the stink eye once and he just smiled at me... which pissed me off even more.

It’s annoying that I can’t recall details of Michael's actual playing that night. I was witnessing greatness on an instrument and I have some drunk guy as my main memory.

A nice box set would not go unappreciated.
A REAL bummer, Blackwood....seems there's at least one in every crowd that spoils it for others.

SONY now owns the Windham Hill catalog as well as RCA's PRIVATE MUSIC label the latter of which has some spectacular Tangerine Dream albums. Wonder if Michael Dutton could get ahold of some of those multitracks from both labels and perform his miraculous conversion to QUAD. Even though Windham Hill prospered in the '80's, IMO, that type of gorgeous artistry never goes out of style and it would indeed coincide with Dutton Vocalion's fan base.

Even Stereo SACDs from both labels would be MOST welcomed!

Additional roster of artists on the PRIVATE MUSIC label include:

Ravi Shankar, Yanni, Suzanne Ciani, Jennifer Warnes, Andy Summers, Patrick O'Hearn, Eddie Jobson, Taj Mahal, Leon Redbone, Kate & Anna McGarrigle, Leo Kottke and the aforementioned Tangerine Dream!

Am currently listening to this fantastic Private Music Label album from Nona Hendryx: Skin Diver .... Spectacular!

https://www.discogs.com/release/508610-Nona-Hendryx-SkinDiver
Primary

Last edited:
Ravi Shankar, Yanni, Suzanne Ciani, Jennifer Warnes, Andy Summers, Patrick O'Hearn, Eddie Jobson, Taj Mahal, Leon Redbone, Kate & Anna McGarrigle, Leo Kottke, and his former bandmates, Tangerine Dream.
Sorry: whose former bandmates? I don't recognize any Tangerine Dream members in that list, least of all the preceding Leo Kottke.

SONY now owns the Windham Hill catalog as well as RCA's PRIVATE MUSIC label the latter of which has some spectacular Tangerine Dream albums. Wonder if Michael Dutton could get ahold of some of those multitracks from both labels and perform his miraculous conversion to QUAD. Even though Windham Hill prospered in the '80's, IMO, that type of gorgeous artistry never goes out of style and it would indeed coincide with Dutton Vocalion's fan base.

Even Stereo SACDs from both labels would be MOST welcomed!
I would love to see many of the WH albums get a re-release by someone like Dutton who would give them the attention they deserve.

A lot of my listening time in the 80s was hard rock, but it was so nice to just sit back with the WH catalog and enjoy the peacefulness of it.

It’s prompted me to pull this one out for listening right now. Jacob Do Bandolim was always a favorite song of mine.

600x600bb.jpg

Last edited:
0314213A-FBF7-45CF-964D-76E88ECD95E4.jpeg

Pink Floyd - Animals

Was tempted to get the SACD but went with the Bluray to get the original 1977 mix in HiRez too.
Like the 2018 remix in 24/192.
Can hear all the individual components with better clarity.
Bass heavy but ain’t complaining.
Still find Dogs tedious. Sheep has always been my favourite track and Pigs (Three Different Ones) much better than I’d remembered.
Overall a success IMO.

Back