DVD/DTS Poll Fripp, Robert - EXPOSURE [DTS DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS DVD of Robert Fripp - EXPOSURE

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this new 2022 edition of the classic Robert Fripp album "Exposure", which has been newly remixed by Steven Wilson and presented in DTS 5.1 surround

(y) :)(n)

robert-fripp_exposure-fourth-edition_cd-dvd.jpg

Brilliant..Bloody Brilliant !
Just finished playing this now ..and it has been a long time since I had the vinyl version.
So many facets of musicality on this album...from the manic pace of " You burn me up, I'm a cigarette"
( takes me right back to my punk days with a white shirt and thin black tie as I used to watch a local band thrash
this out on a Saturday night).
To the sonic brutality of Breathless (which would be right at home on the Red album) to the genetic embryo of Matte Kudesai which was then known as North Star ( with beautiful vocals from Darryl Hall).
A decent sprinkling of Frippertronics on many tracks as intros and outros, " musique concrete" layering of many audio snippets, the maniacal voice of Peter Hamill (VDGG) on Disengage to the utter beauty of " Here Comes the Flood" sung by Peter Gabriel, his delicate piano over one of Fripps guitar loops.
The heavy drum beat of Exposure starts with Eno spelling out the title while the amazing voice of Terre Roche takes the Exposure word from the sublime to a piercing extreme.
These, and many more treasures, await your exploration of this unique album.
( it's beauty will not be exposed to you during your first aural attempts..please persist !)
Add Steven Wilsons' great mix, and you have an amazing audio record of Fripps time in NYC.
I voted this a 9
Cheers

Last edited:
Brilliant..Bloody Brilliant !
Just finished playing this now ..and it has been a long time since I had the vinyl version.
So many facets of musicality on this album...from the manic pace of " You burn me up, I'm a cigarette"
( takes me right back to my punk days with a white shirt and thin black tiie as I used to watch a local band thrash
this out on a Saturday night).
To the sonic brutality of Breathless (which would be right at home on the Red album) to the genetic embryo of Matte Kudesai which was then known as North Star ( with beautiful vocals from Darryl Hall).
A decent sprinkling of Frippertronics on many tracks as intros and outros, " musique concrete" layering of many audio snippets, the maniacal voice of Peter Hamill on Chicago to the utter beauty of " Here Comes the Flood" sung by Peter Gabriel, his delicate piano over one of Fripps guitar loops.
The heavy drum beat of Exposure starts with Eno spelling out the title while the amazing voice of Terre Roche takes the Exposure word from the sublime to a piercing extreme.
These, and many more treasures, await your exploration of this unique album.
( it's beauty will not be exposed to you during your first aural attempts..please persist !)
Add Stevens Wilsons' great mix, and you have an audio record of Fripps time in NYC.
I voted this a 9
Cheers

Goodness, what have you got to do to get a ten! :D Starting with Brilliant..Bloody Brilliant ! and with a sense of going even more up and up from there, your last line with the score felt like a bit of a comedown. :giggle:I'd be quite interested to know what it was about it that prevented you from giving it ten? Because it's a DVD perhaps?

Goodness, what have you got to do to get a ten! :D Starting with Brilliant..Bloody Brilliant ! and with a sense of going even more up and up from there, your last line with the score felt like a bit of a comedown. :giggle:I'd be quite interested to know what it was about it that prevented you from giving it ten? Because it's a DVD perhaps?
In my world there is only one album (which shall remain nameless) that warrants a 10 ... the best of all others is a 9 !

I received the CD/DVD version of Exposure a couple days ago and have listened to it several times. I must admit this is an album I admire and respect far more than love for its musical content. That's due of course to Robert Fripp, founder and guiding light behind King Crimson through many decades and changes, and is by far my favorite prog rock band. I've purchased this album on vinyl and twice on cd, always hoping for a bit more enjoyment but never quite finding it. For me, the album is far too eclectic and experimental to make any kind of coherent musical statement, but as a chronicle of Fripp's vast and diverse musical interests, as well as his many collaborations with talented musicians, it provides a superb chronicle. I really like a handful of tracks that tend to reflect his past and future time in King Crimson, with a few other tracks having some passing interest, and the rest nothing at all. With the CD/DVD release we get 4 versions of the album - a Fourth Edition with Steven Wilson 24/96 stereo and 5.1 mixes, the Third Edition (1983 remix) in 24/48 stereo and what seems to be the original shelved 1978 album mix, Last Of The Great New York Heartthrobs, in 24/96. This last features Daryl Hall vocals on all tracks except Here Comes The Flood with Peter Gabriel. It sounds quite a bit rougher than Exposure.

To this day I'm still baffled by Fripp's interest in snagging Daryl Hall for vocal duties since I find Halls' vocals generally bland and uninteresting. After record company interference which blocked Hall's full participation in the album, Fripp brought in Terre Roche and Peter Hammill to pick up the slack. For me, that resulted in a much better, much more impactful album than the one in which Hall was the sole vocalist; even the included booklet indicates that bringing in Roche and Hammill "enriched the material" which is a polite way of saying the same thing.

As far as Frippertronics goes, the use of this technique on the album is relatively restrained and effective. I find Frippertronics interesting, but ultimately fatiguing to listen to over time and less interesting than other electronic music featuring traditional synths. Listening to a full album of Frippertronics is not something I can typically do with enjoyment.

Finally, I was skeptical that Steven Wilson could extract anything more from the recording than what I'd already heard on multiple formats and remixes/ remasterings over the years. I was happy to be proven wrong, however. The surround mix of the recording is superb and does in fact reveal detail and layers of sound that were previously buried in the mix. The 5.1 mix is definitely the best way to hear this album, and while it doesn't make me like it any more than I did previously, it's now my preferred version to listen to. An easy 9 for the mix from me. However, after listening to it, I'm glad that I passed on the huge box set for this release.

Last edited:
I'll give it an eight. I don't care about the THird Edition or other alternates or stereo remixes, this just concerns the 'Fourth Edition', Wilson's 5.1 mix.

This surround mix is excellent, mix-wise and SQ wise. I only dock the release two points for
-- using a different vocal take than the original 1979 mix for one line each in 'Chicago' and 'Mary'. (This is *very* picky but it bugged me.)
--'side 2' of this album has always been weaker, musically, than side 1 , with the exception of 'Here Comes the Flood'. It's the same in 5.1

'Breathless' and 'Disengage' are pretty much perfect. CRANK THEM.

Well it's not bad for a solo., so there's that.

And I never heard it back in the day, but kudos to Robert for releasing this.

I'm sure it will grow on me with more listens .

Love the company on this disc , Peter Gabriel, Eno , Darryll Hall , (and I thought Blondie but see now that's not the case.)

All in all a worthy solo from the Crimso' magician.

Given this a 7.5 , so eight.

Also too bad there is no longer DVDA at Opus, we'll it was a good run .

FWIW I was in hurry to hear this so I played the DVD disc, whereas usually I'd rip it first and play that. Lo and behond I found it impossible to navigate directly to the start of the 5.1 Fourth Edition with my old Panasonic DMP-BDT220 BluRay disc player. I had to start from the middle and skip back to start.

I've since ripped the disc so I'll never had to fuss with such nonsense again. :)

Also too bad there is no longer DVDA at Opus, we'll it was a good run .
Is Opus a pressing plant that no longer does DVD-A, thus this release had to be a DVD-V format? Was this stated in press materials or interviews? Sorry I’m not up to date on dying formats.

Maybe Fripp and company are seeing visions of a non DVD-A universe and are preparing for that in advance, nothing to do with Opus. My contact in London says that the Crim catalog in those 5.1 mixes (on DVD-A) will all get BluRay upgrades in the future at some point.

I'd guess the DVD-V was included (in Exposures) for those that don't have a BR set-up just yet with their surround.

Darn I wish to immerse in it but couldn't find anything but the full box to get this. Which is a bit steep for me. I am also asurprised the content description does not list a multichannel mix for Exposure. Do you confirm ?

Maybe Fripp and company are seeing visions of a non DVD-A universe and are preparing for that in advance, nothing to do with Opus. My contact in London says that the Crim catalog in those 5.1 mixes (on DVD-A) will all get BluRay upgrades in the future at some point.

I'd guess the DVD-V was included (in Exposures) for those that don't have a BR set-up just yet with their surround.
I've bought the KC catalog many times over on just about every format. Not sure I'd want to pop for blu-rays unless they include Atmos and other extras to make them unique and worth an upgrade over the massive deluxe box sets. I did get the box set for ITCOTCK with Wilson's Atmos mix on blu-ray and it's killer, unfortunately for my wallet.

This is indeed stereo only, as is the listing in the Exposure Box
You are the victim of bad information, Monsieur Bad Man from Le Mans.
Welcome to the forum. We are here to help.

The DVD absolutely has the DTS 5.1 mix.
The listings that say stereo only are not correct.

https://shop.schizoidshop.com/rober...-edition---steven-wilson-mix-cddvd-p1919.aspx

Now presented in CD/DVD form as remixed from the original multi-track master tapes by Steven Wilson
as part of his work on the Exposures boxed set, in 24/96 hi-res stereo and DTS 5.1 Surround Sound with
additional material and two complete earlier editions, the album retains all of the power and vitality that
made it such a compelling listen when first released. One of the seminal albums of the period revisited.

Screenshot 2023-03-06 at 1.37.25 PM.png

You are the victim of bad information, Monsieur Bad Man from Le Mans.
Welcome to the forum. We are here to help.
And thank you for taking on your personal time to do so !
And makes to whole box pretty appealing, as I now understand it sports multichannel versions of other albums as well.
Comparing the price for such a 32 disk box and the outrageous price for a Genesis 5 SACD box....

Again : thank you.

Back