My new Surround Master V3

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I look forward to receiving my new Surround Master v3. I was one of the four or five of use who bought a scratch and dent unit a few weeks ago. My SM v3 has been in US Customs in Chicago since December 17, now 10 days ago. I understand this is the holiday season and they may be swamped right now. Should I be concerned? Have any of you had a similar experience with US Customs from overseas orders?
I bought a $10 record from someone in Germany in the 1990s. After it went through customs, it had a $30 duty added.

I bought a $10 record from someone in Germany in the 1990s. After it went through customs, it had a $30 duty added.
How was it shipped? For me most horror stories come with UPS shipping, followed by FedEx. They like to charge not only for duty and taxes but add their own brokerage fee as well sometimes $30-$50! Always best to stick with regular mail whenever possible!

I look forward to receiving my new Surround Master v3. I was one of the four or five of use who bought a scratch and dent unit a few weeks ago. My SM v3 has been in US Customs in Chicago since December 17, now 10 days ago. I understand this is the holiday season and they may be swamped right now. Should I be concerned? Have any of you had a similar experience with US Customs from overseas orders?
I just went to the Australia Post tracking page. I see the package is moving again & has cleared customs. That's good news!

Most recent update​

Handed back to postal carrier for delivery

CHICAGO (US), UNITED STATES
Date & timeWed 28 Dec, 10.44am

The 'Eagle' has landed! My package arrived today. 😀
I was just talking to my mailman yesterday regarding it. She mentioned how customers get mad at them (usps) for items being stuck in customs & that they have no control over that. ..a no brainer for sure.. & Yes, FWIW, I did have to sign for it.
Haven't opened it yet but outside packaging is excellent.

Attachments

• 16723401826213405737607182813770.jpg
    16723401826213405737607182813770.jpg
    912.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
My golden ears audio friend Dave came over the other day and we had a several hour listening session, with me manually switching my Coleman switcher between (1) native Exasound s88 DAC 2 channel vs Surround Master v3 2 channel; and (2) native Exasound s88 DAC 2 channel vs Surround Master v3 quad 4 channel.

Using my ROON music software, I played a zillion different tracks of all hi rez and cd resolutions up to DSD256.

For #1 native Exasound s88 DAC 2 channel vs Surround Master v3 2 channel, Dave clearly preferred native Exasound, feeling that the vocals and instruments lacked a bit of definition in comparison. Oh Oh!

But for #2, Dave absolutely preferred in every demo song the Surround Master v3 with its perfectly natural expansion of the sonic/surround stage, and given how my system is set up (with REL subs at all 4 corners high level connection), on the right cuts he could really feel and hear that low bass immersion!

DAMN the Surround Master v3 is most impressive at minimal cost I must say being the audiophile that I am!

The 'Eagle' has landed! My package arrived today. 😀
I was just talking to my mailman yesterday regarding it. She mentioned how customers get mad it them (usps) for items being stuck in customs & that they have no control over that. ..a no brainer for sure.. & Yes, FWIW, I did have to sign for it.
Haven't opened it yet but outside packaging is excellent.
Haven't opened it yet??? My God, man, what are you waiting for?? 😁😁😁

My golden ears audio friend Dave came over the other day and we had a several hour listening session, with me manually switching my Coleman switcher between (1) native Exasound s88 DAC 2 channel vs Surround Master v3 2 channel; and (2) native Exasound s88 DAC 2 channel vs Surround Master v3 quad 4 channel.

Using my ROON music software, I played a zillion different tracks of all hi rez and cd resolutions up to DSD256.

For #1 native Exasound s88 DAC 2 channel vs Surround Master v3 2 channel, Dave clearly preferred native Exasound, feeling that the vocals and instruments lacked a bit of definition in comparison. Oh Oh!

But for #2, Dave absolutely preferred in every demo song the Surround Master v3 with its perfectly natural expansion of the sonic/surround stage, and given how my system is set up (with REL subs at all 4 corners high level connection), on the right cuts he could really feel and hear that low bass immersion!

DAMN the Surround Master v3 is most impressive at minimal cost I must say being the audiophile that I am!
Really strange result on the stereo vs stereo comparison...... Considering on stereo the SM is a straight pass through (relay contacts gold plated). Maybe his golden ears are slightly biased!

I use a linear DC power supply with my Surround Master v1. Sound is much improved: clearer, firmer bass and midrange. DC Power Supply "unveils" the sound.

Got my Teddy Pardo power supply today and hooked it up to the Surround Master v3. Holy SH_T! I also think the sound is much improved, clearly firmer bass, "unveiled" surrounds. Can't say I was expecting this. Seems the surrounds now are simply more present - in a good way - than even before. And I "see" the even better bass as I have REL subs in all 4 "corners (of my extended super large family room/nook/kitchen) so now that bass from the rear is cleaner/clearer than before. I was quite happy with the SMv3 before - now even more so!

Got my Teddy Pardo power supply today and hooked it up to the Surround Master v3. Holy SH_T! I also think the sound is much improved, clearly firmer bass, "unveiled" surrounds. Can't say I was expecting this. Seems the surrounds now are simply more present - in a good way - than even before. And I "see" the even better bass as I have REL subs in all 4 "corners (of my extended super large family room/nook/kitchen) so now that bass from the rear is cleaner/clearer than before. I was quite happy with the SMv3 before - now even more so!
Lets arrange an instant A/B double blind comparison!

I am reminded of the 8 bit vs 16 bit comparison I recently published

Good power can't hurt anything! Did I say that I hate wall warts? Chucky does that LM7805 power the digital circuitry plus the analogue, or just the digital? If the analogue circuitry is supplied direct from the 9V wall wart then the supply could affect the sound quality! If not then the digital and analogue are sharing the same regulated power? In that case the op-amps will be seeing a supply voltage of only +- 2.5 Volts.

Good power can't hurt anything! Did I say that I hate wall warts? Chucky does that LM7805 power the digital circuitry plus the analogue, or just the digital? If the analogue circuitry is supplied direct from the 9V wall wart then the supply could affect the sound quality! If not then the digital and analogue are sharing the same regulated power? In that case the op-amps will be seeing a supply voltage of only +- 2.5 Volts.
Agreed, if fact in a previous life I was a high power SMPS designer but I finally kicked the habit. But firmer Bass......wow! The opamps used have a CMRR of greater than 100 dB. The opamps are separate from all digital lines. There are lots of distributed capacitors all over the +12V lines on other pages.

For your entertainment:
1675831297477.png

1675831380615.png

Is that the same as as the evaluation module? All I can see is one LM7805 on that board so does the supply differ? I see the power converter to get the -12 Volts but it's supplied from +12 volts? The evaluation module is supplied by only 9 volts. From your schematic yes it looks like your power is well filtered but I'm sure that if supplied by still better power (than you get from a typical wall wart) can only give positive results.

I have no doubt that Steve Bruzonsky is experiencing better sound by use of a better power supply. While many of his observations could still be imaginary, please don't ridicule him for that. The most fun part of this hobby is taking something ordinary and making it better even if the sonic improvement can not be verified. Why are sceptics hell bent on bursting other peoples bubble?

Last edited:
Not trying to burst anyone's bubble, but claims that are unsupported can cost the gullible money that should be spent on media.
Let people make that decision on their own. Upgrading and audiophile tweaks are seldom a bad thing and can only help, at worst they do nothing but still they offer the user a peace of mind\sense of well being that is priceless!

Back