The Official QQ NFL Tailgate Thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hell, I thought the SB was today. Shows how much I'm paying attention...
I wish it was. Have never liked the 2 week gap between conference championships & SB. Can't stand all the hype (...though I've watched nothing so far about the game)
Personally, I find SB's are usually a let down.
The 1st weekend of the playoffs, wild card weekend, is my favorite.
Lots of games with good teams & upsets. I love it!

About the 'Pro Bowl'..... It's become a complete, total joke! Flag football?
Give me a break! I watched zero of it! What's next, 2 handed touch?😕
I remember, not that many years ago when the game was actually played hard & fun to watch.
Most of the players of today are too selfish & stupid to even appreciate the spirit of what the pro bowl represents!

Last edited:
For most of my life the Chiefs had more in common with @cbmmm3 beleaguered Lions. Fans attitude was: why even bother. But things improved 10 years ago when Reid joined up & then Mahomes in 2017.

It's great to reflect going to 3 out 4 conference championships, win the AFC championship at a home game & now another Super Bowl to look forward to. Still KC fans tend to have hopes high but expectations humble. Certainly for this game all I expect is some great actions & a close one, not like our last SB wipe out. That the Kelce bros are playing on opposing teams & the Eagles sacked Reid as HC just adds to the fun.

Then next month Hoops March Madness comes to KC for a couple of matches. In April the NFL Draft presentation takes up residence at or Union Station:

Pretty good start to the year, so far. This morning I watched the NFL Dodgeball Pro Bowl on TV. Now if we could just get that event to visit here!!
While attending S Mission East, I worked at the Chiefs training camp at William Jewel as a volunteer. With the likes of Len Dawson, Mike Garrett, and Buck Buchanon I can tell you there was plenty of optimism by the fans at Arrowhead. It was a loud and rambuncous place to watch a game, especially when the Raiders and Marv Hubbard came to town!

I wish it was. Have never liked the 2 week gap between conference championships & SB. Can't stand all the hype (...though I've watched nothing so far about the game)

Give me a frickin' break. I watched zero of it!
I remember, not that many years ago when the game was actually played hard & fun to watch.
Most of the players of today are too selfish & stupid to even appreciate the spirit of what the pro bowl represents!
I watched one of those dodgeball games on YouTube. Remarkably, the fastest player, Tyreek Hill, was the first person to get hit an eliminated. In general, it was a waste of time.

While attending S Mission East, I worked at the Chiefs training camp at William Jewel as a volunteer. With the likes of Len Dawson, Mike Garrett, and Buck Buchanon I can tell you there was plenty of optimism by the fans at Arrowhead. It was a loud and rambuncous place to watch a game, especially when the Raiders and Marv Hubbard came to town!
Hey panamac!
Thanks for your comments. It's good to hear from a former local with up front experience of the early Chiefs.

Yes when they came to town they were a welcome alternative to Finley's KC Athletics baseball. In 6 years they won their first Super Bowl. And then there was the up & downs of the next 50 years....

My wife is a SM West grad & her father owned a full service Mobil station at 95th & Antioch. It was more than just a gas station but also a social hub. Quite a few Chiefs lived in JoCo at that time & most were customers at the station. Friendships were made & my wife even remembers going to Buchanon's home for swimming & cook out. Her dad bought season tickets for years & it was always a family affair of four going in any kind of weather. Until tickets just got too expensive for him. So there was that kind of fandom, thus The Wolfpack was born.

Today in the KC Star is a rather lengthy article detailing the ups & downs of KC sports, esp the Chiefs, that you might find interesting:

https://amp.kansascity.com/sports/s...ticle272049457.html#storylink=mainstage_card2
Hopefully the paywall doesn't getcha!

I watched one of those dodgeball games on YouTube. Remarkably, the fastest player, Tyreek Hill, was the first person to get hit an eliminated. In general, it was a waste of time.
I stumbled across the dodgeball game live on cable, completely unaware that it even existed. I found it minorly entertaining, sort of like an SNL skit cuz it was so absurd. Now the NFL football Pro Bowl is a travesty, for all the reasons listed above by @Imbobman. Dodgeball I could laugh at, but what could have been a decent football game, I could not.

I did not watch any Pro Bowl, except maybe 5 minutes yesterday, they didn’t even have helmets, weird.
I will watch Super Bowl.
Under most conditions I would root for Eagles, as I am in a Philly family, I most certainly did when they played the Pats a few years ago, but I can’t seem to muster anything needed.
Yes, was it 4 years ago Niners played Chiefs in SB? 20 minutes to go we where up by 10 and Mahomes Magic killed our souls.
Still a bad taste around here losing to Philly, feels the game was over at 6:48, when Purdy got hurt. We never got to play.
Oh well, it is the Super Bowl, have some good food and relax.
The winner can be the winner, I don’t really care.

I did not watch any Pro Bowl, except maybe 5 minutes yesterday, they didn’t even have helmets, weird.
I will watch Super Bowl.
Under most conditions I would root for Eagles, as I am in a Philly family, I most certainly did when they played the Pats a few years ago, but I can’t seem to muster anything needed.
Yes, was it 4 years ago Niners played Chiefs in SB? 20 minutes to go we where up by 10 and Mahomes Magic killed our souls.
Still a bad taste around here losing to Philly, feels the game was over at 6:48, when Purdy got hurt. We never got to play.
Oh well, it is the Super Bowl, have some good food and relax.
The winner can be the winner, I don’t really care.

yup. got to have a bit of wonder, a bit of 'what if' if Purdy had not gotten hurt.

the biggest question of SuperBowl remains --whats on the menu at Soniks house ?
No, not BBQ but our local Minsky's gourmet pizza! Why? It has to do with inviting or neighbors across the street to watch along.

Now, see, last Chiefs SB we did not invite them over and we wiped out terribly. The Chiefs SB before that they did come over, and we won of course. I've learned my lesson.
And pizza is very practical food for eating in a darkened room using a video projector. Wives will most likely prefer eating/viewing upstairs on the tiny 55" Samsung. Well that's the combo that won it last time they came over.

the biggest question of SuperBowl remains --whats on the menu at Soniks house ?
Buffalo
DSCN3546.jpg

Give me a break! I watched zero of it! What's next, 2 handed touch?😕
The Pro Bowl is all about being named to the Pro Bowl. It’s a feather in your cap, something that announcers always bring up about a player and, perhaps, a bargaining plus in contract negotiations. I agree that there is no legitimate reason to play the actual game.

I remember working with a guy from Missouri(he actually WAS from Missouri) back in the fall of 1985. He kept going on and on about the World Series which none of his Massachusetts coworkers, myself included, had any interest in. I imagine it was like the “Subway Series” between the Mets and the Yankees for people in the 49 other states.

I remember working with a guy from Missouri(he actually WAS from Missouri) back in the fall of 1985. He kept going on and on about the World Series which none of his Massachusetts coworkers, myself included, had any interest in. I imagine it was like the “Subway Series” between the Mets and the Yankees for people in the 49 other states.

I don't even know what the Subway Series is but you make a perfectly valid point.

Even if you are a sports oriented person there needs to be personal connection to make it really interesting. Quite a few years ago I happened to be watching network national news with a friend & it was all about NBA this & that. I said out loud: who cares? Who gives a crap about NBA?. My friend, smarter than me said: well it's a big deal if you happen to live in a town with an NBA team. And so it is.

We don't have an NBA team around here but we do care about NCAA sports & KU, K State, and Mizzou keeps things interesting. Meanwhile I'm sure others couldn't care less.

Back