Carly Simon's "No Secrets," Mixed for Atmos by Frank Filipetti, Coming Soon?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humprof

Junior Senior
QQ Supporter
From a story in the December issue of Mix magazine about Brad Smalling's Evergroove Studio in Evergreen, Colorado: "Carly Simon's manager, Larry Ciancia, needed somewhere to hear some Atmos mixes Frank Filipetti had done for his client and swung by. 'Now I'm mastering the Atmos mixes for Carly Simon's 50th anniversary release of No Secrets, plus a handful of select tracks from other albums.'"

As a mixing & mastering engineer, Smalling is all-in on Atmos, by the way, preferring to "convert" artists and work on new projects from the ground up. Eager to hear some of his finished projects. Page 14:
https://issuu.com/futurepublishing/docs/mix552.digital_december_2022?fr=sNWQ3NTU0NTA5NTA

Greetings!

I'm so excited this album is finally out. For various reasons, the label moved the release date enough times that I lost track so it was really exciting to be notified via this forum.

There are a lotta things happening in Atmos at Evergroove but I cannot really mention them at the moment. I'm sorry for that - I wish I could!

If anyone has questions about this release, let me know and I'll do my best to answer them best I can.

Greetings!

I'm so excited this album is finally out. For various reasons, the label moved the release date enough times that I lost track so it was really exciting to be notified via this forum.

There are a lotta things happening in Atmos at Evergroove but I cannot really mention them at the moment. I'm sorry for that - I wish I could!

If anyone has questions about this release, let me know and I'll do my best to answer them best I can.
Understood. Thanks so much for dropping by here! Really appreciate what you've said about your approach to Atmos, and very much looking forward to hearing your own work in due time.

I have never used Tidal or Apple Music. Can the album be downoaded from them, or just streamed?? Or, is there somewhere else the download can be purchased? By the way, my system is only 5.1; would the Atmos version downmix to 5.1? Thanks in advance.
The Atmos version will downmix to 5.1 from Apple Music on a Apple TV 4K.

So what's happened? 😵‍💫
Did a lone listener get a false impression back in September that the Apple Atmos mix for this song was not up to snuff?

the Atmos upmix nonsense of "You're So Vain" is a total bloody insult to both the Quad and Frank Filipetti's 5.1 mix!!!! 😡

Nobody bothered to listen closely enough to confirm or dispute that opinion at the time because it came from a respected "influencer"?

Or was there truly an earlier flawed mix withdrawn and replaced last week when the entire album came out?

Just wondering. :unsure:

So what's happened? 😵‍💫
Did a lone listener get a false impression back in September that the Apple Atmos mix for this song was not up to snuff?
Nobody bothered to listen closely enough to confirm or dispute that opinion at the time because it came from a respected "influencer"?

Or was there truly an earlier flawed mix withdrawn and replaced last week when the entire album came out?

The latter.

That's great news.

Is this the first and only time a quality Atmos mix replaced a mediocre one on Apple as far as we know?
Rather than reverting to stereo as at least 200-odd tracks did last year?
Good question. We can only hope it's not the last time! Most--all?--of those 200-odd "disappeared" tracks were from WEA. In the end it was inference and speculation, but circumstantial evidence seemed to point to one rogue guy, using some kind of batch process, being responsible for all of them. (Last time I checked, some of the newer Nonesuch albums he/they did were still up.) Would love to see all those tracks, and more old WEA stuff besides, return with mixes on par with the new ones from Filipetti.

Good question. We can only hope it's not the last time! Most--all?--of those 200-odd "disappeared" tracks were from WEA. In the end it was inference and speculation, but circumstantial evidence seemed to point to one rogue guy, using some kind of batch process, being responsible for all of them. (Last time I checked, some of the newer Nonesuch albums he/they did were still up.) Would love to see all those tracks, and more old WEA stuff besides, return with mixes on par with the new ones from Filipetti.
These 200 or so tracks are still on Tidal I believe.

So what's happened? 😵‍💫

"here lies F. Blue, ignored for f-ing years and proud of it!" 💀😎⚰️🕊✌️

ps. don't forget to pad my coffin with as many copies of Winelight as possible! 🙏📀🎷🍷👌

Back