Barclay James Harvest: Once Again, 3CD/Blu-Ray Remastered & Expanded Edition

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Official release today!! Barclay James Harvest: Once Again, 3CD/Blu-Ray Remastered & Expanded Edition - Cherry Red Records
OnceAgainSet.jpg

Now we have a test-CD for SQ quad decoding!
The SQ-encoded stereo mix is probably the least ‘new’ aspect of this package, it was released first on the Brimstone ‘98 CD and then again in the 40th CD/DVD package with the discrete quad.
https://www.discogs.com/release/7852269-Barclay-James-Harvest-Once-Againhttps://www.discogs.com/release/5207684-Barclay-James-Harvest-Once-AgainI’d be curious to know if the digital quad transfers - both matrix and discrete - are different on this new Blu-Ray edition. The discrete quad on the 40th DVD was mastered by Peter Mew and could probably be presented in a more sympathetic manner.

Mine turned up this morning, and it is a Beautiful package, it's gone on the to-listen-to mountain though :oops: as I'm swamped with un-played discs, especially since my Horslips Box Set turned up (another, albeit expensive, thing of beauty & only 35 discs!)
Not many folk can say they have musical piles....:D

Me also waiting for a better price should have pre ordered.
Interested in hearing how successful they de-Mewed the mastering....

I’d be curious to know if the digital quad transfers - both matrix and discrete - are different on this new Blu-Ray edition. The discrete quad on the 40th DVD was mastered by Peter Mew and could probably be presented in a more sympathetic manner.
Guess I was the only one interested in this, but - to my surprise - it seems the quad presentation on this new Blu-Ray is not only different, but a clear improvement over the 40th DVD! I'm not sure if they went back to the analog four-channel master and made a new digital transfer or just used the 2012 version sans Mew's mastering, but it sounds considerably less harsh at higher volume.

"She Said" 40th DVD:
She Said DVD Quad.jpg

"She Said" 2023 Blu-Ray:
She Said Blu-Ray Quad.jpg

I also noticed that in addition to the fake center channel being dispensed with, both the front & rear stereo pairs are reversed in comparison to the 40th DVD. I'm not sure which is the intended arrangement - I guess it doesn't really matter whether the snare rolls spin clockwise or counter-clockwise - but I'll have to pull out the SQ LP (and various matrix-encoded CD releases) to compare.

This would have been a great mix if not for the vocals being stuck in one of the rear channels...

Ripping my Blu Ray now, I hate ripping Blu Rays, they are so laborious.
I wish when opened in MKV the authoring titles where more descriptive.
Like 9 Chapters 5.1 and 9 chapters 4.0.
Many times I am not sure what I ripped until it goes through MMH and then I actually listen and go, OK that is the 5.1 and that is the 4.0.
Now with the stereo, the flat transfer vs the remix, head explodes.
Here are two pics if anyone has any insight to put me on the fast track.
IMG_3530.jpg

IMG_3522.jpg

Back