Welcome Thread: New Members please introduce yourself here

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greetings music lovers and friends! My good friend Gil asked me to join and to help with understanding the musical potential of atmos, and the role of mastering atmos. My room is 7.1.4 with Evolution Acoustics MM3 Exact plus Micro Ones. Amps are Allnic Audio A-6000 monos x 2 and 9 ch of Parasound A51, with 2 SVS subs in series. All controlled by Trinnov DMon 12. Speakers are tuned by me in the software to match the curve of the LR mains with no software, so as to mirror the sound of the natural (no DSP) stereo playback. Bricast M1SE converters, which I tuned for Bricasti, used primarily. Fire away with question or concerns about mastering stereo or atmos.
Welcome Brian.
I have a question about mastering for Tidal, maybe other streaming services. Tidal DD+ Atmos is all I'm familiar with though.
I've noticed that even across an album, the volume from song to song can change so much. One may be (just making up numbers here) dialnorm -31, another -21.
Why does that happen? It's very irritating.
Note that I'm not speaking about Blu Ray Discs, I've seldom seen that happen in that case.
Thanks.

Hello! I've been a member/lurker on here for a long time and wanted to finally introduce myself!

Hi. I'm Tim. I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. I work as a software developer, and before that a full-time DJ/event promoter, who also dabbled in music production.

I love all styles of music and have found this site invaluable building up my home system and my library.

Looking forward to contributing more!

Setup:
Pioneer VSX-LX504 configured as 7.1.4 with various random speakers
ATV 4K
Sony UBP-800m2

Hello all,

I’m Pierre from Paris. I really appreciate surround sounds, especially ambiant sounds and experimental music.

I’m a big fan of SACD and DVD Audio supports. The real way to experiment surround music and sounds.

I’m also interested about Dolby Atmos.

I use Nuendo to create music as an amateur. I have Ambisonic microphones and use it in my productions.

Nice day to all,

Pierre

Hello all,

I’m Pierre from Paris. I really appreciate surround sounds, especially ambiant sounds and experimental music.

I’m a big fan of SACD and DVD Audio supports. The real way to experiment surround music and sounds.

I’m also interested about Dolby Atmos.

I use Nuendo to create music as an amateur. I have Ambisonic microphones and use it in my productions.

Nice day to all,

Pierre
Welcome to the forum Pierre!

Hi everyone, just joined today - after maybe a year or so of lurking!

My name is Mike and I'm a musician, producer and Lecturer in Music Technology. Over the past few years I've been working more and more with ambisonics and my adventures into multichannel mixing and production has lead me here!

The research I'm doing at the moment is into the 'other' quad format Ambisonic UHJ - so would be really keen to chat with anyone who listens to has any thoughts and/or experiences to share about the format. I am also a bit of a vinyl junkie, bass player and general lover of the alternative side of the 80s - so any listening recommendations for new wave stuff in surround would be most welcome!

Looking forward to chatting more and contributing to the forums!
Hi Mike. Good to see another person interested in ambisonic. I’ve been a user of UHJ & B-format for some time. Have you looked at the Surround mailing list at Virginia Tech yet? It’s a much more technically based forum than this one.

Hello everyone,

I recently discovered this forum from the Steve Hoffman Music Forums in a thread about the upcoming Jethro Tull "Broadsword and the Beast" box set.

I am trying to think of my favorite surround disc, but there are so many great ones. The Jethro Tull ones are all great. I really like both Alice Cooper DVD-Audios, Metallica "Black Album" DVD-A, Deep Purple "Machine Head" DVD-A, and the Queen "A Night at the Opera" 30th anniversary set.

I am hoping to find out about some other great discs on here!

Hello to all. My name is Olivier (Malhomme is my last name).

I just bought a Sony UPB XM-700 for the sake of a few SA-CD I bought a while ago in prospect of a future reader (8 years ago for Darlk Side Of The Moon as I found it for 7 euros!). I have a Yamaha Amp behind and KEF speakers. My purpose is to listen is that context, at multi channel album, as, for stereo only, I am OK with standards CDs.
I have few SA-CDs, but have been completely blown away by the sound quality of Jeff Beck's Blow by Blow quadrophonic mix othe 70's, transfered to SA-CD. Incredible, and it feels like you are given a microscope to explore the sound texture. As I have with Isao Tomita's Firebird, Ravel and Debyssy albums, and Dark Side Of The Moon.
I was pretty disapointed with Genesis And Then They Were Three, as the LFE channel is insconsistant with no low frequency on bass drum, and sudden excessive low frequency content from synths playing bass lines. These behaviour and undermix of drums does not happen on CD.

In general I feel (proper) multichannel mix gives a less "over produced" effect and allow for better instrument separation.

I am also a musician, and I hope to be able to built soon a system to mix my own music in 5.1.

I'm George from Seattle, WA. I've been really getting into surround mixes after hearing and learning about Giles Martin remixing classic Beatles albums. Wow, blown away. Since then, I've gotten surround versions of DOSM, Animals, Rush's Moving Pictures, etc. and totally loving the experience. I haven't sat down with my favorite relaxant and listened to an album start to finish in such a long time. Coincidentally enough my Dad had a quad Marantz receiver that used to get oohs and ahhs from people back in the day. I don't remember any particular quad albums that he had so I don't really remember much else. He's got early stage dementia but I'll ask him if he remembers what he did with it.

I've got a cobbled together 5.1.4 Dolby Atmos system using 20 year old Boston Acoustic speakers and a newer Denon AVR.

Hello to all. My name is Olivier (Malhomme is my last name).

I just bought a Sony UPB XM-700 for the sake of a few SA-CD I bought a while ago in prospect of a future reader (8 years ago for Darlk Side Of The Moon as I found it for 7 euros!). I have a Yamaha Amp behind and KEF speakers. My purpose is to listen is that context, at multi channel album, as, for stereo only, I am OK with standards CDs.
I have few SA-CDs, but have been completely blown away by the sound quality of Jeff Beck's Blow by Blow quadrophonic mix othe 70's, transfered to SA-CD. Incredible, and it feels like you are given a microscope to explore the sound texture. As I have with Isao Tomita's Firebird, Ravel and Debyssy albums, and Dark Side Of The Moon.
I was pretty disapointed with Genesis And Then They Were Three, as the LFE channel is insconsistant with no low frequency on bass drum, and sudden excessive low frequency content from synths playing bass lines. These behaviour and undermix of drums does not happen on CD.

In general I feel (proper) multichannel mix gives a less "over produced" effect and allow for better instrument separation.

I am also a musician, and I hope to be able to built soon a system to mix my own music in 5.1.
Welcome to the most expensive site on the web! And I am looking forward to hearing some of your work, if the sounds of the sports cars running all night don’t interfere (or even if they do).

Last edited:
I've got a cobbled together 5.1.4 Dolby Atmos system using 20 year old Boston Acoustic speakers and a newer Denon AVR.
I still have a pair of Boston Acoustics and really like the way they sound. It seems a pretty wonderful set you have put on !

Welcome to the most expensive site on the web! And I am looking forward to nearing some of your work, if the sounds of the sports cars running all night don’t interfere (or even if they do).
Thanks :) Though I'm not yet in a capacity to developp the monitoring system I'd like in the studio !

Hi folks! My name is Brendan Eder. I'm a composer and producer based in Los Angeles and I'm getting really really giddy about mixing my latest album in 5.1. It's a classical crossover LP mainly featuring woodwinds and bass guitar. This week it's #6 on the Classical Crossover Billboard Charts.

I'm an WAY DOWN for your suggestions or ideas on mixing my album, Therapy, in 5.1.

cheers,
Brendan Eder

Hi folks! My name is Brendan Eder. I'm a composer and producer based in Los Angeles and I'm getting really really giddy about mixing my latest album in 5.1. It's a classical crossover LP mainly featuring woodwinds and bass guitar. This week it's #6 on the Classical Crossover Billboard Charts.

I'm an WAY DOWN for your suggestions or ideas on mixing my album, Therapy, in 5.1.

cheers,
Brendan Eder

Well, most of us QQ'ers here would say to give us a nice discrete mix in a lossless format! As long as all the speakers get an ample and appropriate workout (for the material), any mixing decision flies!

Last edited:
Back