Atmos Ceiling Speaker Position

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stupy

QQ Supporter
Good Evening All,

After years of uncertainly I am joining the club and taking the plunge into Atmos. I recognise a lot of people around here are a lot more technical than myself so hope I might seek a small amount of advice on precise speaker positioning :)

I am not an audio professional; but aim to create a 5.1.4 immersive setup in a pre-existing "media room." It was not my house when built but I did get a couple of wires through to help put in place a 5.1 unit (this was before Atmos took off). This turned out to be great fortune because I was able to get four additional wires through the existing gaps - in theory, I am all good for wiring (!).

The room itself is somewhat limited. I cannot really put the system in any other direction without major building works (not an option). There are windows/doors etc.

My main reference points to date have been:
- Dolby's 5.1.4 info at 5.1.4 Overhead Speaker Setup
- Krix IC-32 installation guide from IC-32 (Hemispherix A20) | Krix (top of consideration list for speakers - I hope the ceiling can take the weight...)

Attached is a diagram of the available space with measurements in mm. My query relates to the ideal placement of the four ceiling speakers - shown in read fluffy clouds by FTL, FTR, RTL and RTR. I am thinking an equal distance in front of and behind the downlights. How FAR in front of and behind... I can guess; but I am curious for thoughts. What do you think?

I suspect that on one hand the speakers need to be further apart for effect, but then they start getting close to walls. Of course I will be limited by what is in the ceiling, but I am still back at nailing the concepts at the moment.

All other immersive/Atmos fronts I am somewhat confident at being able to resolve. I have an Anthem MRX1140 on the way; which means I cannot afford the speakers just yet; and I am ready for the battle to get Atmos playing from a PC (nice thread going on elsewhere on this, I note!).

Cheers :)

Attachments

• room.jpg
    room.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 5
Your good, and your top speakers do not need to be farther apart.
I assume your couch/chair will be in the middle.
If you have Audessy you can set up room correction via that, but in the end that is just a starting point and ultimately you will tweek everything out to your liking.
As Acoustic Remedy Surround says above angle your speakers is a good tip.
My final tip and this is down the road, I have my height speakers turned up 3db past what Audessy says for two reasons, I really want to hear them and they are farther from my head than all my floor speakers.
Your layout is good, don't hesitate, tweak sound levels as your brain gets used to the new experience, trust me there is a learning/listening curve.
Finally invest in acoustic paneling, wow, huge difference, I like GIK Acoustics.

Nice! Ceiling Atmos speakers look reasonably placed. Recommended angles relative to MLP are listed in Dolby’s guidelines.

One thought on the front channels (L/R). If you can pull the speakers in from the side walls, and away from the front wall so the drivers are physically at least 450 mm or more from the wall, it might be worth trying, This will help to reduce refraction and comb filtering due to early reflections. Worth a try.

As others recommended, acoustic treatments are well worth the money, time, and effort if you can swing it.

Thanks all. I think I am about ready to go in the ceiling and lock in the Atmos ceiling positions... still have the conflict between them needing to be close to the wall (for the 45 degree angle to the listener) and needing to be away from the wall (for acoustics). I'll send up with some compromise, I figure...

Marpow - yes, there are two comfortable chairs that I have recently moved forward in position, to try to get that main listening position better :) I cannot envision a point in life where I am not mucking around the details :/ lol

Sbrom - I have moved the left/right out a little, thanks! I notice now that they are not AS wedged in the corner as the diagram suggests they are ... large :)

Acoustic treatments... thanks for the heads up! Of the three other rectangle sides, two are currently tied up with massive CD/DVD/bluray cabinets (a total of four of these - Artiss 528 DVD 1116 CD Storage Shelf Media Rack Stand Cupboard Book Unit Oak ), and one side has windows/doors!

Rock on!

Thanks all. I think I am about ready to go in the ceiling and lock in the Atmos ceiling positions... still have the conflict between them needing to be close to the wall (for the 45 degree angle to the listener) and needing to be away from the wall (for acoustics). I'll send up with some compromise, I figure...

I'm having my first listen to my new 5.1.4 Atmos setup now. It's beautiful. Thank you everyone - not just in this thread - for you advice and support :)

Back