Does anyone build quality atmos receivers?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been in electronic repair for over 50 years & I can 100% confirm that heat is the #1 reason for failures of electronic devices so anytime you can remove heat, the longer electronic devices in general will last. The biggest issue is typically with the component electrolytic capacitors as they hate heat & will fail much quicker in hot environment.

Modern receivers now are a combination of computer type microprocessors which generate heat combined with high power many channel amplifiers which can generate high temperatures when run at high volume for long periods on time with many receivers not really designed for all this heat generation so fan(s) are a very good choice to remove this heat. If your receiver is placed in a cabinet with glass doors on the front and/or a backing on the back of it, this can really restrict air flow to the receiver
which will create additional heat issues.

Rog
Agreed.
Before I packed up all my audio gear and moved it out of my audio cabinet into a different room, I rebuilt the cabinet years ago. On the back I cut holes for two 120 mm pc fans up top/back. In the bottom where the AVR resided, I always had a 240mm fan pulling the hot air out and blowing up through the back of the cabinet to the exhaust fans. None of the shelving extended to the cabinet back, allowing air circulation.

Now my two AVR's are free standing in the open but I keep the 240 mm fan on top pulling the hot air out. The fan is actually powered from one of my pc's.
Not sure what temperature the AVR's fan is set to come on, there's no mention of it all in the manual or specs.

My receiver is a Sony SDR-DN1080 that I bought off Ebay complete with remote & Calibration mic for $350. It seems to decode Atmos & everything fine except I think will not decode 360 but not tried it yet on that. It has way more power than I need at 165 watts x7. It also decodes my YouTube streaming 5.1 channel through a HDMI connection to Roku box just fine.

Rog

My receiver is a Sony SDR-DN1080 that I bought off Ebay complete with remote & Calibration mic for $350. It seems to decode Atmos & everything fine except I think will not decode 360 but not tried it yet on that. It has way more power than I need at 165 watts x7. It also decodes my YouTube streaming 5.1 channel through a HDMI connection to Roku box just fine.

BTY, it will decode up to 192k, 24 bit flac & wav 5.1 files also.

Rog
The difference you can hear between 165 w and 120 is almost nothing though. Plus the power supplies in most AVR's seem to be a little anemic.

The difference you can hear between 165 w and 120 is almost nothing though. Plus the power supplies in most AVR's seem to be a little anemic.
Agree & I being an Electrical Engineer, I know that the main issue in almost all these high power multichannel receivers is the main power amplifier power supply capacitors are way to small in value so the power actually goes down steeply if all channels are tested below 60 hz where those caps need to supply the final about 30% of the AC waveform top. Distortion also goes up at these low frequencies. That's why all the receivers now days are rated at 1 kHz with only 2 channels operating in many cases. Simply adding the correct amount of capacitance to these caps will correct this issue but they are expensive parts, take up mush room & these receivers are designed to operate with a sub-woofer which corrects this issue. I have fixed this with some of my receivers that I do not use a sub woofer with & then they have full power to all channels when all are operating.

Rog

There's a lot of Atmos DD+ content coming and going on Tidal. If you can be alright with lossy Atmos, a lot of good "stuff" has appeared, depending of course on your taste in music. It doesn't necessarily stay available for a long time I understand. Sometimes you can get deals on Tidal's "hi fi" subscription for a limited time and check it out, at least over here.
The M4A format downloads fill out my 7.1.4 system, some well, some not so much. I playback on PowerDVD Ultra from the pc, which handles the M4A and MP4 formats (bitstreamed) just fine. VLC media player seems to have a problem with some flles; sometimes changing the extension helps.
FWIW.

Congrats on your new AVR!
Not in your league, but I bought an Onkyo TX-RZ50 last December and it handles my Atmos system well. Especially impressed with the Dirac Live room adjustment .
Of course the price on mine has dropped for a sale price of nearly $500 off retail for careful shoppers. Such is life.
Thanks :). I am pretty satisfied right now with the new receiver.
I play Atmos since it came out. My previous was a Denon x6200w. ;)
The question was if I would update to 360 with a Fire Cube. But I wait, because there is not enough exclusive content.

Agree & I being an Electrical Engineer, I know that the main issue in almost all these high power multichannel receivers is the main power amplifier power supply capacitors are way to small in value so the power actually goes down steeply if all channels are tested below 60 hz where those caps need to supply the final about 30% of the AC waveform top. Distortion also goes up at these low frequencies. That's why all the receivers now days are rated at 1 kHz with only 2 channels operating in many cases. Simply adding the correct amount of capacitance to these caps will correct this issue but they are expensive parts, take up mush room & these receivers are designed to operate with a sub-woofer which corrects this issue. I have fixed this with some of my receivers that I do not use a sub woofer with & then they have full power to all channels when all are operating.

Rog
Thanks, Rog. I'm not an EE by any stretch of the imagination. I did work for a company that made some specialized equipment for telecoms back in the '70's, repairing boards. Outdated stuff now.
But it's interesting to me how many problems on AVR's have seemed to come down to crappy caps. (crappy chips and crappy BGA but those are other stories)

My experience was an Onkyo AVR and it's HDMI board. It was repaired/replaced once under warranty. Then when I got a newer AVR, a fellow QQ'r spec'd out some better caps for me and I replaced them on the board and gave the AVR to my Daughter. It's been going strong for years now with no apparent problems.

I've been sniffing around buying a new AVR. To be honest, I really don't know if I need one...more than I just want one. I've been debating this one...except...what? No wifi, no air play? Unless it's hidden in the specs somewhere. But I think it doesn't have those. Outside of that, it seems like a solid piece, for $2000

Emotiva - BasX MR1 11.2 Channel Dolby Atmos® & DTS:X™ Cinema Receiver BasX MR1 11.2 Channel Dolby Atmos® & DTS:X™ Cinema Receiver

Rog
As a fellow EE, it’s worth noting that simply increasing the size of the power supply capacitors has a side effect on the rectifiers. By reducing the amount of time the voltage on the caps is low, they increase the peak current flowing through the rectifiers. And, of course, the windings in the transformer. Depending on how much you increase the capacitance and how the transformer and rectifiers were specified, that change could fry a couple of other components.

Thanks, Rog. I'm not an EE by any stretch of the imagination. I did work for a company that made some specialized equipment for telecoms back in the '70's, repairing boards. Outdated stuff now.
But it's interesting to me how many problems on AVR's have seemed to come down to crappy caps. (crappy chips and crappy BGA but those are other stories)

My experience was an Onkyo AVR and it's HDMI board. It was repaired/replaced once under warranty. Then when I got a newer AVR, a fellow QQ'r spec'd out some better caps for me and I replaced them on the board and gave the AVR to my Daughter. It's been going strong for years now with no apparent problems.
Alas, every design involves trade-offs. Cost to the customer is always the top issue, but other parameters affect the performance of any electronic product. Size, parts availability, manufacturability, heat dissipation, repairability, and a host of other elements affect the final product. I worked on one project that was ultimately rejected because an array of LEDs on the front panel looked like zits, according to the genius who designed the front panel.

As a fellow EE, it’s worth noting that simply increasing the size of the power supply capacitors has a side effect on the rectifiers. By reducing the amount of time the voltage on the caps is low, they increase the peak current flowing through the rectifiers. And, of course, the windings in the transformer. Depending on how much you increase the capacitance and how the transformer and rectifiers were specified, that change could fry a couple of other components.
True, but the time period is so short & most transformers + rectifier diodes can handle it I have found as I have done this on 5 different receivers with no issues. The most critical time you would know is actually at turn on when the caps need to be fully charged. Another possible issue could be the main power fuse could blow if it is tight tolerance.

If anyone wants 3 Sony STR-D2020 Receivers that are very well designed that doesn't have any power supply issues, let me know. I used them for several years for their great power amps in my surround system & no longer need them so for sale.

They would work great for extra amps for a high number surround system. Specs & picture at Sony STR-D2020 Audio Video Receiver Manual | HiFi Engine

Rog

Last edited:
I've been sniffing around buying a new AVR. To be honest, I really don't know if I need one...more than I just want one. I've been debating this one...except...what? No wifi, no air play? Unless it's hidden in the specs somewhere. But I think it doesn't have those. Outside of that, it seems like a solid piece, for $2000

Emotiva - BasX MR1 11.2 Channel Dolby Atmos® & DTS:X™ Cinema Receiver BasX MR1 11.2 Channel Dolby Atmos® & DTS:X™ Cinema Receiver

I think this is a great deal! I like their pre-pro's as well. Too bad they dont include 7.1 analog inputs. I talked to one of their sales reps to see if they could add inputs to the optional expansion models. He said that there wasn't a big enough demand to warrant the custom add on.

I've got this Noctua fan on top my Denon 4700H blowing up.
Using a "low noise" inline resistor it is dead quiet at the MLP
and keeps the Denon ice cold.
https://www.newegg.com/noctua-nf-a20-5v/p/1YF-000T-000M1
IMG_0002_v1.JPG

Alas, every design involves trade-offs. Cost to the customer is always the top issue, but other parameters affect the performance of any electronic product. Size, parts availability, manufacturability, heat dissipation, repairability, and a host of other elements affect the final product. I worked on one project that was ultimately rejected because an array of LEDs on the front panel looked like zits, according to the genius who designed the front panel.
IMO modern AVR's are designed not at all for music enthusiasts, and that's their major drawback. I feel like they are geared more to movie watchers. My opinion, of course.
Then there's an array of stereo inputs that serve no useful purpose for most serious music listeners this day and time save perhaps a decent phono input.

I know there's a whole host of things on my AVR I'll never use that some will find essential that I find as totally bogus.
I don't need to play music from my phone to my AVR. That's not serious music listening in my book. Sonos, Chromecast, other things people find useful I'm sure, jack the price up but are utterly useless to myself.

Like I said, I'm not an EE. I mentioned working at a telecom provide in the '70'sr. Later in the '80's I'm the guy that worked in the lab building the stuff for the big hitters. I worked on devising battery testing circuits but my main focus was battery alloys (simplistically think negative electrodes) at Energizer (remember the bunny? lol) I had both an arc furnace and heat treating capability and a lot of automated testing equipment that I wrote data extraction programs for.
Much of my initial alloy testing was via "half cells"of my design, then later assembled cells as you would buy them. Our primary AB5 (stoichiometry) Metal Hydride alloy vendor was in Slovenia, which I got to visit.

But it was a good, fun job. I learned a lot. Like PhD's can't spell for shit. Like Engineers will take your work in it's entirety, put their name on it , and make it theirs. Because, well, you're just a dumb ass lab tech.
But I still managed to get my name on a few patents and learn how to use a computer way before the advent of the internet, MSDOS and Windows.
My boss had me take a course in metallurgy, which helped me a lot. I enjoyed working with "smart" people. My Manager was a tough but fair person that recognized talent and rewarded it, allowing this old country boy to excel.

Now I'm just an old man with a bad memory.

......You guys are way out of my league in electronics. I just have my own experiences. No, I'm way past remembering X sub L and anything harder than i x e in equations I studied. lol.

IMO modern AVR's are designed not at all for music enthusiasts, and that's their major drawback. I feel like they are geared more to movie watchers. My opinion, of course.
Then there's an array of stereo inputs that serve no useful purpose for most serious music listeners this day and time save perhaps a decent phono input.

I know there's a whole host of things on my AVR I'll never use that some will find essential that I find as totally bogus.
I don't need to play music from my phone to my AVR. That's not serious music listening in my book. Sonos, Chromecast, other things people find useful I'm sure, jack the price up but are utterly useless to myself.

Like I said, I'm not an EE. I mentioned working at a telecom provide in the '70'sr. Later in the '80's I'm the guy that worked in the lab building the stuff for the big hitters. I worked on devising battery testing circuits but my main focus was battery alloys (simplistically think negative electrodes) at Energizer (remember the bunny? lol) I had both an arc furnace and heat treating capability and a lot of automated testing equipment that I wrote data extraction programs for.
Much of my initial alloy testing was via "half cells"of my design, then later assembled cells as you would buy them. Our primary AB5 (stoichiometry) Metal Hydride alloy vendor was in Slovenia, which I got to visit.

But it was a good, fun job. I learned a lot. Like PhD's can't spell for shit. Like Engineers will take your work in it's entirety, put their name on it , and make it theirs. Because, well, you're just a dumb ass lab tech.
But I still managed to get my name on a few patents and learn how to use a computer way before the advent of the internet, MSDOS and Windows.
My boss had me take a course in metallurgy, which helped me a lot. I enjoyed working with "smart" people. My Manager was a tough but fair person that recognized talent and rewarded it, allowing this old country boy to excel.

Now I'm just an old man with a bad memory.

......You guys are way out of my league in electronics. I just have my own experiences. No, I'm way past remembering X sub L and anything harder than i x e in equations I studied. lol.
One thing I realized long ago is that there’s always someone who can do something I can do better than I can do it. So not everyone needs to be an engineer, and although I still feel like I CAN design circuits, the ones I want to design will simply be to perform a function for me or my immediate family. I’m no longer in the trade.

Yes, most of the MCH gear available is built for the theater crowd. I honestly can’t hear the deficiencies that might result from any decisions the manufacturers may have made in that regard. One thing I seem to do is see how I can use every feature of my pre-pro, which is why I have outdoor AM and FM antennas and analog connections for a laserdisc and a Motorola Teleplayer, to mention a few.

As I’ve noted, my goal in my room is “pretty good.” That will make it better than my ears, alas. The room is primarily for my enjoyment, although I have seating for four, and most of my listening and viewing is done solo.

I can’t say for certain that I would ask for your expertise in metallurgy or battery chemistry in this forum, but maybe I’ll come up with a project that needs your help.

Back