Ten Years After "A Space In Time" (limited-run SDE Blu-Ray with Dolby Atmos, 5.1, and Quad shipping 3/17)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many hours later, what's the verdict on the quad transfer? Total sonic blockbuster knock-out? Or they flipped the L & R chans this time by accident? LOL, (as nothing is shocking or surprising anymore).
(edit)
I've seen more comments now with a browser refresh.

i haven't compared the Quad on the DVD-V with the Quad on the new BD but in its' own right the Quad on the BD sounds great to me and appears to have the Front and Back channels the right way around at least 🙂
I had to boost the Blu-Ray quad about 9 dB (!) to level match with the old DVD, but from there visually they appear almost identical. I suppose only a null test would 100% prove it's the same transfer from 2012.

I just received a "love letter" from NL customs to pay an additional 13,33 in customs tax thanks to the British (Br)exit from EC just to receive this release. It sucks but I have to live with it. It has also slowed me down from buying from Burning Shed which used to be my " Go To' mail order. I hate Brexit :(
Same here, really annoying to order from UK in this way

Your location says Sri Lanka. I loathe Brexit (and I have to live it) but I can't see how it made any difference for you. Surely whatever import duties you pay have been that way a long time?
Yes there I live for the moment, but SDE have no option yet to send it direct to me, so everything from UK goes via the Netherlands.

From Chris Kimsey’s “Ten Years After | 50th Anniversary ‘A Space In Time’ Remix”
web page:

Kurt Martinez who is Head Dolby Engineer at Dean Street Studios in Soho, London; was responsible for the ATMOS mix, and used new plug-ins to emulate the original desk to achieve the new mix.

https://chriskimsey.com/2023/02/02/ten-years-after-50th-anniversary-a-space-in-time-remix/
I’m wondering why Chris is given credit on the SDE info for the Atmos mix, if Chris says it was Kurt? Or did Chris do the SDE Atmos mix and Kurt did the streaming Atmos mix? :unsure:

The Apple Music stream definitely has the same Atmos mix as the Blu-Ray.
Could it be that Kimsey supervised the mixing and Martinez was following his instructions; don't know if that's something that occurs much for mixing engineers? But I'd want to believe they'd at least give Martinez co-mixing credits.

Could it be that Kimsey supervised the mixing and Martinez was following his instructions; don't know if that's something that occurs much for mixing engineers? But I'd want to believe they'd at least give Martinez co-mixing credits.
Probably - much like how Michael Brauer gets the credit for Bob Dylan's Time Out Of Mind Atmos mix, but the finer print makes it sound like Fernando Reyes did the bulk of the work.

Regardless of whose work it is, this TYA Atmos mix isn't anything to write home about (at least in my opinion). It's a little cleaner-sounding and less hissy than the quad, but the dynamics seem kinda toned down and the surround effect is much more conservative. For instance I miss all the crazy backwards tape and sitar-like effects throughout "Let The Sky Fall" that were prominent in the quad, they're like ghosts in the mix on the Atmos (maybe that's truer to the stereo version?).

but the dynamics seem kinda toned down and the surround effect is much more conservative. For instance I miss all the crazy backwards tape and sitar-like effects throughout "Let The Sky Fall" that were prominent in the quad, they're like ghosts in the mix on the Atmos (maybe that's truer to the stereo version?).

Just like DSOTM, the quad mix rules. I hope mine arrives in a few days. Frankly, I didn't buy this for Atmos, as much as I like Atmos. I bought it for the original quadraphonic mix. Atmos is a bonus. And it doesn't surprise me to read your comments.

Once again it appears that in modern mixes Steven Wilson rules
Thank God the original quad mix is included .
I have the next two SDE specials on order one of which is mixed by Mr Wilson.
For future releases with no quad mix and no Steven Wilson mix I'm going to hesitate more about ordering them. I have enough shelf decorations collecting dust.

Once again it appears that in modern mixes Steven Wilson rules
Thank God the original quad mix is included .
I have the next two SDE specials on order one of which is mixed by Mr Wilson.
For future releases with no quad mix and no Steven Wilson mix I'm going to hesitate more about ordering them. I have enough shelf decorations collecting dust.
He who did the Haken mix knows his craft too, one of the best none SW mixes in my opinion.:cool:

Probably - much like how Michael Brauer gets the credit for Bob Dylan's Time Out Of Mind Atmos mix, but the finer print makes it sound like Fernando Reyes did the bulk of the work.

Regardless of whose work it is, this TYA Atmos mix isn't anything to write home about (at least in my opinion). It's a little cleaner-sounding and less hissy than the quad, but the dynamics seem kinda toned down and the surround effect is much more conservative. For instance I miss all the crazy backwards tape and sitar-like effects throughout "Let The Sky Fall" that were prominent in the quad, they're like ghosts in the mix on the Atmos (maybe that's truer to the stereo version?).
Listening to this on Apple Music while waiting for my disc, and I share your thoughts, not impressed.:confused:

Isn't Stephen Taylor nearing the summit on Rushmore? He's got his crampons and climbing gear and just passed a couple of silverline skeletons on the way up...
I've got his Renaissance surround mix on the way to me

Back