Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon - 50th Anniversary Atmos mix in 2023! (Standalone BD coming in October!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,

I have been enjoying the Quad mix in the Immersion Blu-ray Disc. Am still a bit confused on what I am seeing on my Sony receiver while playing it.

The receiver is a mid-grade Sony DNR-1060. Am playing from a Sony Blu-ray player. They are connected via HDMI cable.

When playing the Quad track, the display says “Linear PCM 2/2 (96 kHz)”. And when playing the 5.1 surround track, it says “Linear PCM 3:2/1 (96kHz)”. Interestingly, when playing the top menu, the display says “Dolby Digital 3.2/1”.

Just wondering if what I’m getting is true quadraphonic. I Maybe misremembering, but I previously also used a coaxial connection between the Blu-ray and the receiver and I believe I may have seen a 4/0 output come across at one point perhaps at that time After playing with some settings on that.

Appreciate any insight you all can provide.

Stephen

Hi Steven,
I have the immersion disc to as well as some quad early years blursys.

It’s my understanding that true quad is from the original quad systems. I have heard Dark Side of the Moon on a Quad System At Virgin studios on a reel to reel.

But what you may be referring to is a quad mix on bluray using 4 of 5 channel recording, even if you have 7 speakers on your Sony,
The thing is on a 7 channel system the rear speakers are in the wrong location vs 5 channel like sacd. My NAD takes the 5 channels and sends the rear channels to the rear and sides at reduced volume as to not over power the fronts.

I found the PCM quad best box Dolby Digital which uses the centre channel to.

But I also prefer the SACD which is 5.1 over the bluray.

Did you know that the Atmos Disc is coming out?

Warren

50 years ago today.

1679083355890.png

Hi Steven,
I have the immersion disc to as well as some quad early years blursys.

It’s my understanding that true quad is from the original quad systems. I have heard Dark Side of the Moon on a Quad System At Virgin studios on a reel to reel.

But what you may be referring to is a quad mix on bluray using 4 of 5 channel recording, even if you have 7 speakers on your Sony,
The thing is on a 7 channel system the rear speakers are in the wrong location vs 5 channel like sacd. My NAD takes the 5 channels and sends the rear channels to the rear and sides at reduced volume as to not over power the fronts.

I found the PCM quad best box Dolby Digital which uses the centre channel to.

But I also prefer the SACD which is 5.1 over the bluray.

Did you know that the Atmos Disc is coming out?

Warren
Thanks for the reply. Any insight on the 2/2 notification?

That is great about the Atmos version, Unfortunately my receiver does not support Atmos.

Thanks for the reply. Any insight on the 2/2 notification?

That is great about the Atmos version, Unfortunately my receiver does not support Atmos.
Its normal nothing wrong, its Quad so 2 in front, 2 rear, before my BDA rotted my Panasonic players report it as 2/2, can't remember what my Oppo reported it as.

The two preview tracks on Apple Music right now, anyone with a subscription that understands Atmos confirm whether those preview tracks are Atmos or just "Hi-Rez Lossless" stereo?
Thanks

Last edited:
The two preview tracks on Apple Music right now, anyone with a subscription that understands Atmos confirm whether those preview tracks are Atmos or just "Hi-Rez Lossless" stereo?
Thanks
Hi, in California Apple4K the 50th is up, very cool logo graphics.
Only two songs will play, both in stereo and none in Atmos as of this writing.
The Great Gig In The Sky and Brain Damage.

Shame we'll never be able to really 'atmos' anything. 'Height' channels and 'god' speaker etc etc are impossible in our mixed use, cathedral ceiling living room. I hope it doesn't destroy/exclude any dts versions in future titles though. I could see the writing on the wall shit-canning a competing outfit. We LOVE dts ma. damnit! Sticking with our 5.3 set-up and it just works great in here. I am sure it's often very hard to get a living room to work/sound like a dedicated music room. Lucky really. ...and everything's been paid for long ago! Including a good sized collection of physical media❤️. Huge bonus, especially these days. Build back better!:p

Last edited:
Shame we'll never be able to 'atmos' anything. 'Height' channels are impossible in our cathedral ceiling living room etc. I hope it doesn't destroy/exclude any dts versions in future titles though. I could see the writing on the wall shit-canning a competing outfit. We LOVE dts ma. damnit! Sticking with our 5.3 set-up:p
I won’t claim this is the perfect option, or even workable in your space, but a (really) tall stand with the speaker on top can work. That’s assuming mounting on a wall doesn’t work or makes a spouse angry.

My home office has two height speakers... that are on speakers stands on a wrap-around desk in the office. Not perfect, but not bad either.

In your case, the stands I’m using wouldn’t work, but you might find a good option somewhere.

Honestly.. We don't want to screw up what we have now! I think it's wonderful that this works for some and I don't mean to sound against atmos at all. Just hope dts versions are not gone to the wind, moved out.. I mentioned this the very first time I even heard of atmos. It appears to be happening just a bit now. It is taking a while.....glad of that though. Smart business move by Dolby

Last edited:
Honestly.. We don't want to screw up what we have now! I think it's wonderful that this works for some and I don't mean to sound against atmos at all. Just hope dts versions are not gone to the wind. I mentioned this the very first time I even heard of atmos. It appears to be happening just a bit now. It is taking a while.....glad of that though
Totally understand. If something is working and you’re enjoying it, go with it.

Thanks Blackwood. Just don't wan't to lose the 'working' part (folks like us) of future releases. Don't like the 'fold down' method on a couple sets we own with both versions. Maybe improvements later..never know., 👌🤝

Last edited:
Thanks
In Canada I'm getting Breathe and Us & Them so far on Apple Music, hi res lossless only. And this release is only the Wembley '74 live songs, don't see the studio album here unless I'm missing something or it's to come.

Don't like the 'fold down' method on a couple sets we own with both versions
Fold down doesn't really apply to Atmos. A good Atmos mix will sound good in 5.1, with or without an Atmos receiver. Specifically, which two releases sound good in 5.1 and not Atmos? Although I haven't found any releases with both new mixes, and only the 5.1 sounds good, I certainly wouldn't base any conclusions on only two releases. I was streaming Atmos music mixes for months without decoding the Atmos, and just listening to the 5.1 "bed", through my Oppo, and many sounded fantastic.

Back