The QuadraphonicQuad Craft Beer/Microbrew thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1AE0F327-1606-4B39-BE61-732F5AED034C.jpeg

More belated check-in's...busy, lazy...but rest assured the beer is still being very much appreciated!

La Cumbre "Pyramid Rock" amber ale. Had this on draft over the years, first time they put some in cans.
LCBC-Pyramid-Amber-Ale.jpg

Bombs Away Beer Co. "Operation Single Hop - Zappa" IPA. A recent NM-grown hop "zappa"...bit of peppery chile nose, makes for a nice little boost.
Bombs-Away-Operation-Single-Hop-Zappa-IPA.jpg

Gravity Bound "New Format" IPA. Another super-solid winner from one of my regular stops.
Gravity-Bound-New-Format-IPA.jpg

Second Street (Santa Fe) "Mylodon Sloth DIPA....a 9.4% behemoth.
Second-Street-Mylodon-DIPA.jpg

Bosque Brewing "Scale Tipper" IPA. This brew (at least by name) won top award two years running a few years back....but this is not the same recipe and it's gone from a "gimme more" to a "meh" mediocre IPA....over $20 for a 6-pack too....nope, not anymore.
Bosque-Scale-Tipper-IPA.jpg

I grew up with Bass and Smithwicks. Times have changed. And that's clearly not the same Smithwicks as the substandard slop we're forced to endure on the island of Ireland. The concoction Guinness now produce weighs in at a lamentable 3.8%, and has a flavour akin to the smell you'd associate with cigarette butt stubbed out in a glass of tepid water.

On a brighter note? This evening? Vocation Life & Death. Er ZARJAZ!

PXL_20230318_210843493.jpg

Wax Wings Brewery in Kalamazoo, MI. Double NNazareth. Its an 8.5 percent double IPA fuzzy New Englander. They took their flagship IPA and explored the balance of a larger malt bill with the largest charge of hops to be used in a beer. The resulting beer is softer, with more pronounced notes of ripe fruit, mango, orange, and peach. The resin is light and the flavors are more deeply saturated. It tastes wonderful !! Ill go 9 on a 10 scale

waxdoublenazereth.jpg

Last edited:
I seem to getting Stone'd alot lately. This one is Stone Patio Magic ( no patio magic in West Carlisle at the moment - 16 degrees - snowing - 30 mph winds )
This Stone beer is a DIPA. 8.8 ABV with 42 IBUs. This beer is brewed with Phantasm. Nice beer. 7.5 to 8 on a 10 scale

stonepatiomagic.jpg

I grew up with Bass and Smithwicks. Times have changed. And that's clearly not the same Smithwicks as the substandard slop we're forced to endure on the island of Ireland. The concoction Guinness now produce weighs in at a lamentable 3.8%, and has a flavour akin to the smell you'd associate with cigarette butt stubbed out in a glass of tepid water.

View attachment 89789
Smithwicks has deteriorated in taste???

<cries>

Remember how I much preferred it over Guiness (which left me feeling much too full to drink much).

Oh well, give me a Scottish IPA or single malt and I'll be happy :phones.

View attachment 89789
I had a Smithwicks this week, first one in more than a few years.
Bland is the nicest thing I can say about it. Where is the malty goodness from years past?

Time for this weeks update of recent beers...

Ex Novo "Krispy's Kolsch" - fine batch of this smooth easy starter.
[IMG]

Bow & Arrow "Midnight With a Chance of Coyotes" chocolate milk stout. Delicious. Very forward on the chocolate and just enough sweetness.
[IMG]

Ex Novo "Walk the Bine" hazy IPA. A new addition to their year-round lineup, I can see it becoming a regular stock item in my fridge.
[IMG]

Bow & Arrow "Standin' on a Corner in Winslow, Arizona" hazy IPA. Creamy citrus, just a little hint of dank going down.
[IMG]

Ex Novo "Taste the Rain, Bro?" juicy IPA. Another solid release.
[IMG]

Smithwicks has deteriorated in taste???

<cries>

Remember how I much preferred it over Guiness (which left me feeling much too full to drink much).

Oh well, give me a Scottish IPA or single malt and I'll be happy :phones.

I'm afraid so. Guinness are never done footering with their brews. Smithwicks has been significantly reduced in strength over the last few years and each rebrew has slowly removed the malty flavour as well. Now. calling it "bland" is overstating what it tastes like by a significant margin.

I seem to getting Stone'd alot lately. This one is Stone Patio Magic ( no patio magic in West Carlisle at the moment - 16 degrees - snowing - 30 mph winds )
This Stone beer is a DIPA. 8.8 ABV with 42 IBUs. This beer is brewed with Phantasm. Nice beer. 7.5 to 8 on a 10 scale

View attachment 89799
What is the highest ABV beer out there and how does it compare with something like Bud?

[edit: That photo of GOS shows Tam Tam Tam at 9.5%]

My good friend's go to beer, Transmigration of Souls - double IPA (Orpheus Brewing in Atlanta, GA) taps in 10% o_O
He claims it is easy to sip - I'll stick to almost anything non-IPA.

1679336668564.png

20230319_Fat Tuesday.jpg

Had this tasty little ale the other night. I thought it was 9% ABV until I started getting loud ... 18.8% .. wow so tasty and no burn at all.

https://www.thebruery.com/products/fat-twosdayBlended barrel-aged imperial stout with pecans, cinnamon, and vanilla beans

Laissez les bons temps rouler with this festive imperial stout!
We blended together two of our favorite brandy barrel and rye barrel-aged imperial stouts for an unbelievably rich, complex base flavor.
We then gave it the full Mardi Gras Praline King Cake treatment with pecans, cinnamon, and Tahitian vanilla beans.

What is the highest ABV beer out there and how does it compare with something like Bud?

[edit: That photo of GOS shows Tam Tam Tam at 9.5%]
hey AR
beers can run the gamut of ABV. Stouts and barleywine can hold significant percentage of alcohol. Pilsners and kolschs typically far less.
Budweiser - I think - runs about 5 percent ABV. Ive had beers at 4 and 5 and 6 percent that were incredible. Ive had beers that were 11-12 or 13 percent that tasted like turpentine ( yuck ) Its all about the taste.

Back